PTO question

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Both shafts are driven by the same place so it won't hurt it if the rear turns.
It should have a cover that goes over the rear pto shaft when it's not in use.
It will keep the shaft clean and will prevent anything from getting wrapped up in it. I had a one thumbed friend that will testify to the importance of that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't see why it would be anything other than a safety issue. My one thumb buddy was driving a tractor and had a burlap sack in the seat covering up a tear in the cover. The sack worked it's way out from under him as the day went and got down in the pto. He tried to get it out from under him but it wrapped his thumb before he could pull his hand away and it twisted it off at the second knuckle. :eek: :mad: :(

That's why I mentioned the cover to you and for anybody else that reads this as well. I sometimes get careless and forget to put mine on but I'm trying my best to set a good example for my son to follow in. Both he and my wife use my little tractor fairly regularly and I could never forgive myself if either one of them got hurt because of something I failed to do. :mad: :confused:

I know that some of the safety stuff seems like overkill at times and it can make things a pain in the arss but when I see my boy on my tractor I want it as safe as I can make it for him. I think back to my childhood and some of the tractors I ran back then. I wouldn't even want my boy to climb on some of them much less run them like I had to. Back then there was no safety features because nobody knew any better but now we have the oppertunity to give our kids better than what we had so I don't see any excuse that they aren't taught to do it with the safety features being taken advantage of. :cool: :D

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
OUCH!! That kind of stuff happens faster than you can imagine, and can change your life forever. Thanks for the reminder, it sure is easier to learn from other people's mistakes sometimes.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
OUCH!! That kind of stuff happens faster than you can imagine, and can change your life forever. Thanks for the reminder, it sure is easier to learn from other people's mistakes sometimes.
My friend lost his thumb when he was a teenager and he's in his 70's now. He had to go thru his entire life with that firm reminder of what can happen in a split second.

That puts a whole new meaning to safety first.