PTO Extender

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Despite looking at many videos and reading multiple instructions on cutting the PTO shaft for my chipper, I managed to cut it too short. I am completely stymied why it turned out this way and am agonizing over it. The shaft overlap is about 4 inches. I understand the recommended overlap is 6. I see that TSC has "PTO shaft extenders" which would add back about 2.5 inches. Has anyone here ever used these and what are the potential pitfalls please? I cannot believe I did this. Thanks.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I used one on the 3PH leaf blower I built because none of the PTO shafts I had in stock were quite long enough. With the extra piece in the driveline it seemed like it may introduce one more spot for a potential wobble, but it didn't appear to affect anything.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can buy a replacement shaft or probably have new tubes installed onto the existing ends at a local shop.

But as noted above you will probably be fine as is. You can probably call the driveline or implement company and get some HP per inch of shaft overlap and then calculate HP capacity of the four inch overlap. If that is greater than the tractor capability then just go on with life as is.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Despite looking at many videos and reading multiple instructions on cutting the PTO shaft for my chipper, I managed to cut it too short. I am completely stymied why it turned out this way and am agonizing over it. The shaft overlap is about 4 inches. I understand the recommended overlsp is 6. I see that TSC has "PTO shaft extenders" which would add back about 2.5 inches. Has anyone here ever used these and what are the potential pitfalls please? I cannot believe I did this. Thanks.
As long as there is no danger of it pulling completely out its fine - use it as is.

Dan