pto drive line guard maintenance

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
greetings folks...i understand that plastic pto drive line guards (some of them anyway) ride on a bushing that I suspect needs some maintenace and lube from time to time. Can anyone tell me how best to do that, particularly how to remove the drive line guard to access the bushing. The guards on my implement are made in Spain by "la magdalena" and they have some small black tabs where the tubular portion joins to the cone shaped cover for the universal joint. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I'd like to keep them secure and safe while I've got my back turned on them.

Thanks...

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm not sure what you have but I know that all of mine have a plastic grease fitting on each end of the shaft that is just for greasing the outer cover/guard. Then all that will leave for you to do is about once per year slide the drive shaft apart and grease the inner shafts so they will slide smooth.

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
That makes sense Bulldog...I did notice that one of the three little black tabs at either end of the guard has a small hole that a grease fitting would fit into very nicely. Maybe they were never installed, regardless, thanks for the good information, while I am tinkering I will slip some fittings into those little holes and fill em up.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
All of my PTO driven equipment has the fitting already molded in the plastic but yours may be to where a standard fitting can be installed. That would be a plus in many ways if yours is that way. If it ever got damaged you could just replace the fitting and you would be back in business. Either way as long as you get a little grease in there it should be fine.