PTO clutch bad?

ThunderFarm

Equipment
Kubota M5700
Jun 9, 2024
Allentown PA
Problem found: clutches on the mower deck went bad at the gear box. Thank you everyone for your help!

I have an M5700. I was mowing the pastures yesterday and the PTO lost power. It will still turn the mower, but it doesn't have any power to it. It acts like the PTO clutch is slipping. Cold the fluid level is about ⅛ inch above the low mark. The grass was definitely very thick and I was running 2nd gear low range. I cut about 3½ acres when it lost power. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Check for broken shear bolt in pto shaft. I have seen a failed one continue to transmit some motion thus making you think the problem is else where
Dave

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Go back and EDIT your original post before someone “quotes” it…. to remove your serial number.

(or at least hide a few of the digits… There’s no reason to give everyone on the WWW the actual serial numbers to any of your stuff… tractors, cars, guns, Ipad etc etc. etc)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

ThunderFarm

Equipment
Kubota M5700
Jun 9, 2024
Allentown PA
Check for broken shear bolt in pto shaft. I have seen a failed one continue to transmit some motion thus making you think the problem is else where
Dave
Do you know where to find it out where to look? I'm not where I can look at it at the moment, but I can check it out in the morning. Thanks

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Do you know where to find it out where to look?

Follow the PTO shaft back to the mower gear box, near the universal coupling. Holes will line up such that a bolt with washer and nut will transmit torsion of the PTO to the shaft from the gearbox on the mower. Easy way is to purchase a package of shear bolts from Tractor Supply, as they will be correct hardness.

ThunderFarm

Equipment
Kubota M5700
Jun 9, 2024
Allentown PA
Do you know where to find it out where to look?

Follow the PTO shaft back to the mower gear box, near the universal coupling. Holes will line up such that a bolt with washer and nut will transmit torsion of the PTO to the shaft from the gearbox on the mower. Easy way is to purchase a package of shear bolts from Tractor Supply, as they will be correct hardness.
My mower doesn't have the shear pin/bolt. But checking where you told me you look I got to playing with the shaft and deck. I found the problem. Thank you so much for pointing me to where I needed to look!!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Go back and EDIT your original post before someone “quotes” it…. to remove your serial number.

(or at least hide a few of the digits… There’s no reason to give everyone on the WWW the actual serial numbers to any of your stuff… tractors, cars, guns, Ipad etc etc. etc)
Kubota serial numbers are not VIN numbers, they don't mean anything other than the actual model and options.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Kubota serial numbers are not VIN numbers, they don't mean anything other than the actual model and options.
They represent/identify the actual item, which might be used by nefarious characters for illicit purpose. Any Bill of Sale…or NCIC- investigation… can implicate a stolen item …or cloud the Title….by serial number.
If the serial number is known …. a fraudster can make your life miserable if they know the serial number of something you think you own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
My mower doesn't have the shear pin/bolt. But checking where you told me you look I got to playing with the shaft and deck. I found the problem. Thank you so much for pointing me to where I needed to look!!!!
What was the problem and solution?