Proof that God exists......Miracles do happen.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Now listen....I am not preaching, nor will I argue if you think differently than I do about God, but He was watching over me the other day.

So there I am watching my grandson, enjoying the day with him.

I started teaching him what little I know of the "basics' of DC TIG welding and we have had lots of fun doing so.

I outfit him with all the safety gear, and found some stuff that fits him well.

Anyway, I usually have him sit on my lap and "help him" hold the torch, and as I work the pedal, he "dabs" the filler rod.

He absolutely loves it. The 'training sessions" are usually about 20-25 minute'ish, then it's off to the "Slurpee Store" for a treat.

Well, Wednesday, a "miracle" happened.

My torch is liquid cooled, so I have to go and turn on the water before I use it.

As I was walking back to turn the water on, I tripped on something, both feet got caught, and down I went.

Before I knew it, I landed on my "grout mixing' paddle (which was standing up), and it impaled me in the chest.

The #1 rule is DON’T PANICK……

#2 RULE…..leave all foreign objects IN.

In my head, I know better than to remove a “foreign object’, but out of
‘instinct’ , I pulled it out.

The instant I pulled it out, I knew that I should NOT have done that.
It was at that point, I figured I had about 90 seconds before I collapsed from blood loss.

Trying to keep my wits about me, and keeping pressure on the wound hole, I immediately (calmly, but quickly), walked up the stairs, sat at the kitchen table, where my phone was sitting and hit the emergency button and it dialed 911 to get them coming.

My grandson looked very worried and sensed something was very wrong, he asked me if I was ok and I assured him I was. (panic creates more panic, and chaos ensues). I was extremely worried that he was going to witness something no boy should.

The 911 operator did a great job and the paramedics were there in a few minutes……My grandson really held it together. I told him to go outside and bring the firemen in to me. He did, and the lead paramedic got to work. She did a fine job and assured me that the Sheriff would look after Theo.

I live in a relatively densely populated area, and this hospital is rather “large”; however, word quickly spread about “the guy who impaled himself”

At some point, when asked, I originally “guesstimated” that the shaft went in 2 or 3 inches, but as it turns out, the CT scans/MRI shows that it went in ~12 to 14 inches.

The Doc said that “by the Grace of God’ and “for reasons he can’t explain”, the shaft completely missed my heart and lungs .

It did hit (and broke) my Scapula(shoulder blade) and that’s most likely why it did not exit my back.

So after a few hours of some ‘intensely painful” ER time, 2 days later, by the Grace of God, here I sit with a cup of coveffee, a broken shoulder, and my laptop, ‘hunting and pecking” away, trying to type up my ‘Miracle’ story.

Stay safe everyone, and remember, “Everyday is a gift from God”

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Wow! glad you made it through that. You are very lucky!
Maybe you should change your forum name to "Runs with grout paddle". :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Glad you stayed calm. I think your angel could use a break after that.

1722608185054.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sometimes we get a "flash" of what happened, or why did it happen that way, and we realize there is more to life then the routines we are use to. Some incidents are more serious then others but they lead us to know at some point we won't be available. How we respond before that moment is critical.

This is a "lesson" Theo will remember forever. Keeping calm and do as you're asked. He'll be telling that story about his grampa at Thanksgiving years from now!

Good to hear you're doing fine, and that you know who to thank for life!!

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yikes man. :oops:
Glad you are still here to be able to write about it. Get well.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Oh my….i am glad you are here to recant that. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I have to say I that story did not end the way I expected…I was thinking some way this was another great general lee and BH ending…when you typed rule #2….i said to myself no way would he have jr work the BH levers to pull it out while he kept pressure on his chest…that’s where I thought it was headed.

Very glad you are still typing to us. Feel better. 🥃

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
RWS, THAT was a close call....and a reminder to all of us that things can change in the blink on an eye when things go wrong!! So glad it's turning out ok for you.....and Theo!!

Reactions: 1 user

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
When seeing the title I immediately looked at the poster and knew it would be a good story.

Glad you're doing well, and it's a reminder for all of us to keep our work areas highly organized.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Heal quickly. He wants you around for something and now He has your attention.

gened14

Equipment
Kubota B26 TLB, ZD 1211, ZG23, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV, Allis Chalmers 170
Jul 7, 2014
Tennessee
I'm glad that you are ok.

May God continue to watch over you.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Your work is not done and God has other plans for you! :giggle: Get healed up and back at it!

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Holy s@*$ thank God all vitals were missed. Here's to quick healing. 🍻

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Now listen....I am not preaching, nor will I argue if you think differently than I do about God, but He was watching over me the other day.

So there I am watching my grandson, enjoying the day with him.

I started teaching him what little I know of the "basics' of DC TIG welding and we have had lots of fun doing so.

I outfit him with all the safety gear, and found some stuff that fits him well.

Anyway, I usually have him sit on my lap and "help him" hold the torch, and as I work the pedal, he "dabs" the filler rod.

He absolutely loves it. The 'training sessions" are usually about 20-25 minute'ish, then it's off to the "Slurpee Store" for a treat.

Well, Wednesday, a "miracle" happened.

My torch is liquid cooled, so I have to go and turn on the water before I use it.

As I was walking back to turn the water on, I tripped on something, both feet got caught, and down I went.

Before I knew it, I landed on my "grout mixing' paddle (which was standing up), and it impaled me in the chest.

The #1 rule is DON’T PANICK……

#2 RULE…..leave all foreign objects IN.

In my head, I know better than to remove a “foreign object’, but out of
‘instinct’ , I pulled it out.

The instant I pulled it out, I knew that I should NOT have done that.
It was at that point, I figured I had about 90 seconds before I collapsed from blood loss.

Trying to keep my wits about me, and keeping pressure on the wound hole, I immediately (calmly, but quickly), walked up the stairs, sat at the kitchen table, where my phone was sitting and hit the emergency button and it dialed 911 to get them coming.

My grandson looked very worried and sensed something was very wrong, he asked me if I was ok and I assured him I was. (panic creates more panic, and chaos ensues). I was extremely worried that he was going to witness something no boy should.

The 911 operator did a great job and the paramedics were there in a few minutes……My grandson really held it together. I told him to go outside and bring the firemen in to me. He did, and the lead paramedic got to work. She did a fine job and assured me that the Sheriff would look after Theo.

I live in a relatively densely populated area, and this hospital is rather “large”; however, word quickly spread about “the guy who impaled himself”

At some point, when asked, I originally “guesstimated” that the shaft went in 2 or 3 inches, but as it turns out, the CT scans/MRI shows that it went in ~12 to 14 inches.

The Doc said that “by the Grace of God’ and “for reasons he can’t explain”, the shaft completely missed my heart and lungs .

It did hit (and broke) my Scapula(shoulder blade) and that’s most likely why it did not exit my back.

So after a few hours of some ‘intensely painful” ER time, 2 days later, by the Grace of God, here I sit with a cup of coveffee, a broken shoulder, and my laptop, ‘hunting and pecking” away, trying to type up my ‘Miracle’ story.

Stay safe everyone, and remember, “Everyday is a gift from God”
An absolutely HORRIBLE story,......
With a VERY HAPPY ending!
SO GLAD you are still with us!
George