pole barn design and construction advice?

trackman23

Equipment
MX4800
Nov 22, 2023
NC
I am planning to build a pole barn as my first accessory structure to my new house but not sure where to begin. I'm in the greater Raleigh, NC area and regardless of what I do, I will need engineered plans for my county (Chatham).

the overall goal is to build an equivalent of an enclosed 2-car garage with lean-to on one side giving me room to store my tractor, side by side, zero turn, truck and associated junk / tools. The barn does not need to match the house but I want it to look like a legit barn that would have been built long ago so I am fine with a steel structure if that is cost efficient but the siding will need to be wood or maybe fiber cement. In the ideal world I would have this timber framed using nothing but wood but not if it is a huge cost difference.

Does anyone here know if there are local companies with good reputations that build such buildings? Are there any kits or plans companies that I should check out? Is there a quick over / under on wood vs. steel cost?

Any help on where to begin will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The only thing I can tell you is, make it 50% bigger than you think - yes I know money is the determining factor, but a old style 2 car garage back in the day was a mere 24'x24' = if ANYTHING is parked in that size it is almost packed full!

Wood may be cheaper in the short run, but over time the metal will win out - maintenance and upkeep being what makes wood more expensive. If you must go "wood" - I would use the concrete "board" - I have used it before and it will last a lifetime. It is much more expensive, but like the metal it is one and done.

Bite the bullet and get more than you need - yeah, I know, easy for me to say - but adding to it later and realizing how small it is now will make you say, " I wish I made it "X" bigger.

If not in a huge hurry - do your research, there has to be dozens of companies in Raleigh - some are $$$$ and do a great job, some will be cheaper and do not such a good job.

Go and look at the ones that companies have built - I think the first thing you really need to do is have a drawn floor plan as to what will go where - this will drive the size and shape of the building you wish.

Think about the lay of the land, do you want a drain in the middle of the garage? Are you ever going to place a lift in it? I would make it as tall as possible - height is a huge part of the equation when designing a workplace.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
My suggestion is to not to under build especially with permitting required, the amount of effort needed to go bigger only comes down to funds availability. Or at the very least provide for future expansion.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
One of my "pet peeves" is "multiple, single, skinny garage doors"

I mean WTF are you/they/he thinking?

You built this "big ass pole barn" then you limit it by adding "standard, single wide doors" for what is comparatively "Chump Change".

Man if I could find the "Dill Hole" that built my 'Metal Building" there would be some words exchanged. At least they made them "X-tra tall".....

BTW, I am reminded of it every time I have to "shoe horn" my boat in.

I personally prefer "all metal" but I could deal with wood I suppose.

And finally, since I am enjoying spending your money, I would "go as big as you can, till it hurts"...... @85Hokie "50% rule" is a good starting point.

Good Luck, it sounds like a cool project!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am planning to build a pole barn as my first accessory structure to my new house but not sure where to begin. I'm in the greater Raleigh, NC area and regardless of what I do, I will need engineered plans for my county (Chatham).

the overall goal is to build an equivalent of an enclosed 2-car garage with lean-to on one side giving me room to store my tractor, side by side, zero turn, truck and associated junk / tools. The barn does not need to match the house but I want it to look like a legit barn that would have been built long ago so I am fine with a steel structure if that is cost efficient but the siding will need to be wood or maybe fiber cement. In the ideal world I would have this timber framed using nothing but wood but not if it is a huge cost difference.

Does anyone here know if there are local companies with good reputations that build such buildings? Are there any kits or plans companies that I should check out? Is there a quick over / under on wood vs. steel cost?

Any help on where to begin will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Look for a somewhat local to you, "Morton Buildings" office.
They are a nationwide company, that has been doing such structures for MANY years.
I had a 36' x 48 Morton building built for me 40 years ago.
Love my Morton!