Plastic funnel fell into fuel tank - if it ain't broke, can I put off trying to fish it out?

Jim Thomas

Equipment
L3560 HST
Sep 4, 2024
North Carolina
The plastic tube/funnel on the world's most poorly designed fuel tank ejected itself into the long tube of the Kubota L3560 fuel tank as I was filling it. I could not find it with my snake cam, so I just kept working. Went from 3/4 tank down to 1/8...no signs of fuel blockage. The piece is so big I think it wouldn't be able to block the fuel line, but I am wondering if it will break down / dissolve over time and damage the engine.

Removing/replacing the tank looks like one of those jobs I would probably f-up somewhere along the way. Picture shown below - the spout is the white piece. If the spout was made out of the same kinda plastic as the tank, I wouldn't even be asking, but I could not find out online what kinda plastic the white piece is made of.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. do you have 'easy' access to the fuel tank sending unit ? Bigger hole, easier to retrieve.

Plastic will be there until the sun novas but IF a chard(small piece) broke off it WILL eventually get stuck in the exit spigot.
Heck, at least it's WHITE ! My little chard was BLACK and NO way anyone could see that in the black tank !!!

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
IMO My 2 cents (and you get what you pay for)
1) It's not a problem and will not dissolve
2) I would try to get it out soon via the fill opening with bright LED and one of those cheap wire pick-up tools that has saved my tail many times in many engine compartments!
* Had several over the years and the last one had spring-loaded push end and three wire grabbers. Amazon or harbor freight is your best bet (cheap)
3) Ditch that nozzle and don't do it again (but you knew that ;) )

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would take some more time and get the spout out of the tank!

Drain the tanks empty, and pull the cross over pipe to fish out the spout.

1725476914516.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
hmm.. do you have 'easy' access to the fuel tank sending unit ? Bigger hole, easier to retrieve.

Plastic will be there until the sun novas but IF a chard(small piece) broke off it WILL eventually get stuck in the exit spigot.
Heck, at least it's WHITE ! My little chard was BLACK and NO way anyone could see that in the black tank !!!
There is no fuel sending unit in that tank. ;)

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'd probably run it until the tank is closer to empty and fish it out.

Reactions: 1 users

Jim Thomas

Equipment
L3560 HST
Sep 4, 2024
North Carolina

Thanks for the long time estimate. I am glad to know I do not have to fix it immediately.

Jim Thomas

Equipment
L3560 HST
Sep 4, 2024
North Carolina
I'd probably run it until the tank is closer to empty and fish it out.
I will try again. I was using a remote snake camera that had an LED light around the lens...too much reflection. Gonna try turning that light off, using a separate snake light AND a separate claw thingy as one of the other commenters suggested.

Thanks to all of y'all for such good responses so quickly.

Jim Thomas

Equipment
L3560 HST
Sep 4, 2024
North Carolina
IMO My 2 cents (and you get what you pay for)
1) It's not a problem and will not dissolve
2) I would try to get it out soon via the fill opening with bright LED and one of those cheap wire pick-up tools that has saved my tail many times in many engine compartments!
* Had several over the years and the last one had spring-loaded push end and three wire grabbers. Amazon or harbor freight is your best bet (cheap)
3) Ditch that nozzle and don't do it again (but you knew that ;) )
Great suggestion. I will try again. I was using a remote snake camera that had an LED light around the lens...too much reflection. Gonna try turning that light off, using a separate snake light AND a separate claw thingy as one of the other commenters suggested.

Imma gonna end up operating with threethings going in, just like those surgeons on the shows my wife likes. Wonder if I can get a cute nurse to help? :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm TWO tanks..... fill the right, sender is in the left then.......
so... as other say
put LED light and camera in the 'filler tube', remove from crossover port..

should be a 'fun' time....