Planted 80 green giants last october. All are doing pretty good except these two.

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
They all have a drip line system around each tree under the mulch. Mulch is spread away from the trunks. On wifi timers for the watering. Beginning got lots of water, this year only when no rain for a while. Is it just the averages, out of 80, a few dying is expected? them being together has me wondering why these two. The watering system not getting water to these two (drip lines clogged) or maybe these two getting over watered and the lines broke? I haven't dug up the lines yet. There was no trees or anything in this spot before they went in. I can post more pics

They were green up until about 2 weeks ago

Attachments

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I know very little about plants and what all could affect them. I do know that a fertilizer mishap by a neighbor killed a small blue spruce at our first property. Could be something either in the soil there or something that was deposited there?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It’s hard to tell from your pictures…cedar or another species?

My Forest Plantation Management Professor always used to say the number one cause for seedling mortality was planting dead trees.

When were they planted? This spring?

Your two were apparently viable until recently. Hard to say what caused the mortality.

Interesting they were next door to each other.

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
It’s hard to tell from your pictures…cedar or another species?

My Forest Plantation Management Professor always used to say the number one cause for seedling mortality was planting dead trees.

When were they planted? This spring?

Your two were apparently viable until recently. Hard to say what caused the mortality.

Interesting they were next door to each other.
Green giant arborvitae trees. Planted last october. Were all doing great until 2 weeks ago

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Contaminated water drainage from a nearby area?
I have been working on getting pads compacted for parking trailers on. But that area has been like that for the past year. There is a side little ditch past this row of trees so water can drain off and into the catch basins so no pooling. So dont think contaminated water. Was just strange two close to eachother are dying. I have to dig up the drip water lines and make sure they aren't clogged, or the opposite broken and overwatering those two trees. Don't want to plant two new trees there and same thing happen

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Looks like over or under watering. How moist is the soil a day after watering compared to the others?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m too many years removed from Pathology class to offer a possible biological theory/etiology.

Interesting that the die-off seems more concentrated on the newer growth.

I think you’re wise to check the water tubing. Follows @The Evil Twin thought of over/under watering.

Truly wish I had better advice/suggestions….🧐

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. in that case you really shouldn't need to be watering them.
I've transplanted a lot of trees(2" or less trunks ) ,only deep watered them for 1-2 weeks,have a forest here now.

I suspect those two have hoses plugged and all 80 have very shallow,thin roots so if you stopped watering ALL of them, they'd all stress out and probably die.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
hmm.. in that case you really shouldn't need to be watering them.
I've transplanted a lot of trees(2" or less trunks ) ,only deep watered them for 1-2 weeks,have a forest here now.

I suspect those two have hoses plugged and all 80 have very shallow,thin roots so if you stopped watering ALL of them, they'd all stress out and probably die.
Jay my friend, you’re going to have to translate that one for me. 🧐 🧐

Is he supposed to stop watering or continue lest all 80 trees die?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Stop watering and let Mother Nature do it !
Roots will grow deep to find water.
By constantly(well , often) light drip watering, roots stay at the surface.
My cedar hedge is 32-34 years old, only watered the 'sticks', deeply for a week or two.

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
My cedar hedge is 32-34 years old, only watered the 'sticks', deeply for a week or two.
hasnt rained in 3 weeks now and temps 100 degrees every day. So started up the watering cycle again after no watering in april may and june.

Last edited:

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I had stopped watering them in april , may and june. But july was 100 degrees every day and no rain for like 3 weeks so started up again. I had time today to take the mulch away to inspect the drip lines. Drip lines looked fine and worked fine, When I took away the mulch it was very very soaked on three trees. 2 that are dying and the one next to them that is starting to die. The others are much dryer. So something happened and looks like water is pooling by these 2-3 trees and staying soaked. Must be a low point or something maybe. and by the two dying ones on the surface of the mulch I have these strange growths. not sure what the heck they are. If I rake one a fine black powder spreads.

Attachments

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Where I live average yearly rainfall is 5", almost all during December - March. Pretty much zero rain from June through the middle of October. 100 degree temperatures with almost zero humidity will suck the moisture out of any living thing. If I stopped watering I wouldn't have anything green on my place.

humidity3 7-15-23.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had stopped watering them in april , may and june. But july was 100 degrees every day and no rain for like 3 weeks so started up again. I had time today to take the mulch away to inspect the drip lines. Drip lines looked fine and worked fine, When I took away the mulch it was very very soaked on three trees. 2 that are dying and the one next to them that is starting to die. The others are much dryer. So something happened and looks like water is pooling by these 2-3 trees and staying soaked. Must be a low point or something maybe. and by the two dying ones on the surface of the mulch I have these strange growths. not sure what the heck they are. If I rake one a fine black powder spreads.
The find black powder to me sounds like mold spores.