Parking brake problems, M9540

airwolf230

Equipment
m9540
May 31, 2012
whitehall md
Has anyone had parking breaks issues with m series I have 9540 with 800 hrs and the parking break does not hold im being told its a gear that is broke i am trying to see if anyone else is had this issue... Dan

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Re: parking break m9540 problems

Hello Airwolf230:
Sorry to say I don't have a solution but I do share you issue. I bought a used B7800 and the parking brake only kind of works. It might be that I drove a couple times with the brake on without realizing it, being a newbie also. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing replies from other, more knowledgeable OTT fans.
David

airwolf230

Equipment
m9540
May 31, 2012
whitehall md

I have kubota tech rep looking into it the bad thing is I believe the tractor has to be split to repair.. I have owned several kubotas in the 100hp range I hope they stand behind their workmanship if not i might have to get a different color red....

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI

Do you really need a parking brake, especially if it's so expensive. Maybe a habit of using chocks would serve you, if you'd do it. Granted, it would be a hassle.

firerunner

Dec 6, 2013
marshall, VA

Any resolution on the M9540 parking gear? I have the same tractor and it doesn't seem to work very well if at all. Probably need to change the gear but not sure if that can be done without splitting tractor or maybe by just taking cover plate off on right side of tractor.

bcancienne

Feb 4, 2015
Houston, TX USA

I have bad news about the parking gear issue you all are experiencing. This is major expense to repair. Parts usually include a new drive gear, gear paw, and possibly a housing. Parts cost is about 300~350, but the labor is around 2200 bucks depending on your mechanic. The cab (if applicable) must be removed, and the tractor split. After fluids, parts, tax, and labor, you are looking at about ~2800 bucks. I have been told this usually happens if the operator slams the parking brake into gear while the machine is still rolling. I have seen a few instances in my case where it is possible to shift the M9540 into gear while the parking brake is still engaged. This is not supposed to be possible. I bought this machine used and this was broken when I bought it, it may have been a possibility that the operator applied power while the parking brake was engaged, not sure.

Here are some pics of the damaged parking gears.

Parking Brake Paw

Brake Gear

Housing

Additional Gear Damage

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

bcancienne, thank you for posting those pictures. I'm working on one now that has a loss of park function. Cable and bracketry are all in good condition with no obvious bending. Is the park mechanism able to be inspected through the shift fork cover assembly on the right side of the transmission case? If I can pull it and look inside before removing the cab, at least I will know for sure what parts are broken and thus can give a more accurate estimate.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Is the park mechanism able to be inspected through the shift fork cover assembly on the right side of the transmission case?
I wouldn't hold your breath on a reply (One Post and never was on again).
You could hit his name and send him an email, he has one listed.

You should be able to see everything through the shift cover.
The Cracked housing he shows is the bearing holder assembly that is on the rear of the clutch housing.
The gears that are stripped are on the second shaft.

Dickp

Equipment
m 9960
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Has anyone had parking breaks issues with m series I have 9540 with 800 hrs and the parking break does not hold im being told its a gear that is broke i am trying to see if anyone else is had this issue... Dan
I have the same. M9960 tractor. You would have to split the tractor to fix it. I made a catch that locks the brake pedals down - operates inside the cab - works well-- I am considering manufacturing them for sale-