Pallet forks extensions

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Are these things safe or it better to get longer forks? My new 36 inch pallet forks are great but just wondering which way to go for those times I need 48 inch forks. Am in uncharted territory. Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What items do you need to pick up that 36 cannot get under?

What you may need need to do is think about is the pressure that extra 12" will create on the bucket - now I am assuming that these are clamp on forks? IF so - the extra weight will lesson the amount to pick up from the hydraulic stand point.

Lets assume that you are picking up something that weighs 300 pounds with the 36" when you slide those extension forks over the original forks - it will add that much more weight, and if the item is now near the extended edge - it will not pick it up.

On your BX1880 - picking up 300 pounds will be a stretch to begin with that for out from the "pins"

Now - if you are wanting to pick up tree branches and other light weight items - those extensions would be handy.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Have regular pallet forks using my quick attach. The issue is getting under a wood framed shed so the forks get all the way under. My 36 inch will only get under 3/4ths of the frame.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've used 8' long 2by6 tubing as fork extensions for 14 years on the forklift,usually to lift pickup boxes or move the 9by12 sheds. ZERO issues.

Reactions: 1 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Can buy the 48 inch forks from the place I bought the pallet forks. But, not sure the rule of thumb going extensions. Am thinking double my 36 inch forks to 72 inch extensions may be a bad idea. Going total length to 60 inches keeps me under going double my current length. Which is better?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

A couple more inches has always been the story of my life😂.

Regardless of your length, I think first have to judge weather you can lift and hold the object, or will you be doing a controlled push/pull to manuever the object.

If you judge you can lift and hold the item (shed), then i think need to consider risk of drop…in that case consider how to secure to the pallet fork frame. If you have it secured (chain or ratchet strap) without much slop to the pallet frame and tractor can handle the weight, you should be able to lift / curl and get it up. If it’s too much weight be aware you are strappped in so to speak. If not on level surface or some sort of side slope, that a lot of extra leverage on the loader which could be transferred to front axle that pivots. That could go sideways fast and range loader frame or worse.

Be aware longer forks don’t solve everything…consider long forks on poorly constructed/deteriorated pallets (and to tip off even if the forks go through the pallet ( bottom side cross supports of pallet could be rotted or something and come off or not hold…point is long forks on a crappy pallet don’t always prevent a tip on an off balanced load…longer forks not always the cause of a tip/drop is my point)

IMO, first things first…Ballast appropriately. Think how to secure what trying to move. Go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary.

Good luck 🥃

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Thanks for your response rc51stierhoff. Am alsways only a few inches off the ground when moving stuff with the pallet forks. Slow is what I do, real slow. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks for your response rc51stierhoff. Am alsways only a few inches off the ground when moving stuff with the pallet forks. Slow is what I do, real slow. Thanks again.
NP👍…some fork frames will even have a notch on each side to hold a 5/16 or 3/8 chain. IMO a ratchet strap can hold something tighter (can draw it in better) to the frame though…usually when object/ load a lot longer than the forks there is a lot of leverage working against the machine.

the other thing I have done when forks not long enough is if you can lift the end of object up and add a cross support within the forks length of hold that can be helpful too…thru bolts are better if worried about holding force versus nail or screw. Length of objects increase leverage.

Good luck. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Equipment
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Not sure I would want to strap it to the pallet forks. Would rather let it fall off than flip the tractor. Used to work for MnDot. Learned real quick to keep my hand on the joystick when picking up heavy loads. Was in a 800 series cat loader when the ass end started coming off the ground. dropped The load quick.