Overheating UTV 1120D

BBOTTENS

Equipment
UTV 1120D
Sep 14, 2024
NW IL
we have a 2014 UTV 1120D that overheats. the thing has me stumped. engine water gets hot (too Hot) to the point guage is toppiing out. One of our guys ran it long enough it cracked the head. So ordered new head and put it on. Now watching it, it still gets hot but we shut of when it gets too high.
Now the baffling part. radiator is absolutely cold as outside temperature. we put in new thermostat with the new head , water pump looks pristine too. but the hoses off water pump are cold.
is there a possibility of air lock. as the lines between pump and radiator are lower than the pump and radiator. we put in antifreeze in till full, run a little then put more in.
this is driving me somewhat crazy. couple dealers said just bring it in, but there has to be a simple explanation for this.

what say you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would take out thermostat. UNHOOK radiator - take garden hose and place on one end and seal it the best you can and see if water moves through the block.

Sounds like you have a restriction in the block. OR the block cracked when the head cracked !

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
we have a 2014 UTV 1120D that overheats. the thing has me stumped. engine water gets hot (too Hot) to the point guage is toppiing out. One of our guys ran it long enough it cracked the head. So ordered new head and put it on. Now watching it, it still gets hot but we shut of when it gets too high.
Now the baffling part. radiator is absolutely cold as outside temperature. we put in new thermostat with the new head , water pump looks pristine too. but the hoses off water pump are cold.
is there a possibility of air lock. as the lines between pump and radiator are lower than the pump and radiator. we put in antifreeze in till full, run a little then put more in.
this is driving me somewhat crazy. couple dealers said just bring it in, but there has to be a simple explanation for this.

what say you
Did you open the coolant bleeder valve while filling the radiator?

BBOTTENS

Equipment
UTV 1120D
Sep 14, 2024
NW IL
I would take out thermostat. UNHOOK radiator - take garden hose and place on one end and seal it the best you can and see if water moves through the block.

Sounds like you have a restriction in the block. OR the block cracked when the head cracked !
we thought we looked real carefully for a crack in block but did not see anything suspicious
thermostat opens readily when heated externally, the only thing i can think of is the air lock
will admit i have not looked real close for a bleeder valve on hose on front of engine, will look for that tomorrow the hoses going to the heater are cold also, if that helps define anything. never dealt with anything that has the multi level pipe that could restrict the air moving through them.

BBOTTENS

Equipment
UTV 1120D
Sep 14, 2024
NW IL
Did you open the coolant bleeder valve while filling the radiator?
Did not know there was a coolant bleeder valve on it but does make sense. talked to three dealers and they said they had no idea, just bring it in

thought it should be something simple.