Overheating and now stalling - I don’t feel good about this.

dinman

Equipment
SU3300
Jun 3, 2012
Monroe, ME
I’ve been mowing about 4-5 acres of fields. Lots of wildflowers and things that really clog up the mesh screen in front of the radiator. It seems that every year, the tractor (B3300SU with 415 hours on it) tolerates this less and less and heats up way too quickly and too hot. When it heats up I clean the grill very well and let it cool down.

I’ve been following some other posts about this same thing trying to figure out the problem. Today though, I think I waited too long and it got too hot. Once it hit the red I stopped but when I turned off the tractor I could hear it boiling. Coolant was pouring out of the tube hanging out of the reservoir tank.
I let it cool down and when I checked the radiator it looked empty. It was full when I started.
Went out to buy some more and then didn’t have anything labeled “green” but had a Penzoil that is supposed to work in anything so I filled it up with that.
Started to drive off to my field, no PTO running and then the tractor starts to stall. Putters down in RPMs and doesn’t quite die but wouldn’t move. Turned it off and back on and it started doing it again so I left it where it was. Don’t want to do any more damage if this is a serious problem.

So my first question is this, the coolant is in a contained system right? If the wrong coolant was added, it couldn’t cause the engine to stop running after about 2-3 min of just slow driving right?

Next question is, did I overheat it that much that I really toasted something in the engine?

I’m tempted to start it up again and see what it does but am wondering if I need the Kubota dealer come tow it away. $$$$$

Help! Please!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Shotgun Merwin

Jul 9, 2024
Hognut
did you blow the actual radiator out too? fine dust finds its way down there, even with the screen, and will block the fins up eventually.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Very likely you have either cracked the head or blown the head gasket.
Was there any smoke when it ran bad?

• Sad