Opinion on used L4701

snipehunter7

Equipment
Coming soon…
Sep 4, 2024
Mississippi
Howdy! First time poster. I am in the market for a new tractor. I have been looking at a couple of new Kubotas (various L models) at my local dealer. Today I ran across a used L4701 and wanted opinions from some of the experienced folks here.

I will be managing roughly 40 acres of mixed pasture and woods. There are some trees that need some work and a grapple is in my future.

Not super experienced tractor wise. I would like this to be something that my wife/kids can operate.

L4701 with 5’ bush hog and 6’ loader. I was hoping for a HST for ease with multiple operators with little experience but not on this one.

How is this in terms of price and tractor for my needs? This is substantially cheaper than some of the new tractors I was looking at. I appreciate any and all input.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Howdy! First time poster. I am in the market for a new tractor. I have been looking at a couple of new Kubotas (various L models) at my local dealer. Today I ran across a used L4701 and wanted opinions from some of the experienced folks here.

I will be managing roughly 40 acres of mixed pasture and woods. There are some trees that need some work and a grapple is in my future.

Not super experienced tractor wise. I would like this to be something that my wife/kids can operate.

L4701 with 5’ bush hog and 6’ loader. I was hoping for a HST for ease with multiple operators with little experience but not on this one.

How is this in terms of price and tractor for my needs? This is substantially cheaper than some of the new tractors I was looking at. I appreciate any and all input.
"I would like this to be something that my wife/kids can operate"
Don't make a BIG $$$$ mistake!
HST ......ONLY !!!!!

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Gears are good for plowing and brush hog/field work, HST is best for all the rest, snow removal, FEL work, ect. I have had both and HST is nicer. If you have acreage to do you will probably want a 6' Brush Hog. Now is that a good deal? Seems high, I shopped for over a year before I bought and had to hop on it immediately because the good deals go fast.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I agree, ONLY consider a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. Much easier and safer to operate and better resale value also. Look on the website www.tractorhouse.com to gauge the pricing. The gear driven units are less expensive to purchase and the lessor demand afterward may expand the discount. I think your are on the right track with an L series in the 40-50 HP range. You could run a 6ft lighter duty cutter if the conditions were not to bad. Good luck.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Where's @Cathy Liebchen when you need her? Isn't the L4701 an orphan model?

I agree, if you want family to drive it, get an HST. There will be other Ls around that are HST and good buying if you're happy buying used - they're very common machines.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user