O ring on pistons falling off, orange paint?

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
Howdy fallers,

So I noticed today after taking possession of my new b2601 that there was an o ring from one of the pistons (where the rod enters/exits the piston) that broke off and was lying on the machine and another one on different piston that slid up the piston a few inches. At first I was like WTF here we go!

Then after careful inspection and consideration, it would seem like they put a second O ring over the first for painting maybe? There still seems to be a second (or final) o ring intact on the two pistons in question and they are black like an o ring should look. Then if I look at the other pistons they have an orange o ring due to the painting process. I also noticed the o rings that came off had orange paint on them.

So can anyone confirm this? What is this all about? Do I have anything to worry about or do they just add the second o ring as a shield when painting to protect the real o ring?

Please do tell. I have the dealer coming out tomorrow to address a few other minor issue and was trying to gain some knowledge on this one before asking him about it.

Thanks in advance!

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
Howdy fallers,

So I noticed today after taking possession of my new b2601 that there was an o ring from one of the pistons (where the rod enters/exits the piston) that broke off and was lying on the machine and another one on different piston that slid up the piston a few inches. At first I was like WTF here we go!

Then after careful inspection and consideration, it would seem like they put a second O ring over the first for painting maybe? There still seems to be a second (or final) o ring intact on the two pistons in question and they are black like an o ring should look. Then if I look at the other pistons they have an orange o ring due to the painting process. I also noticed the o rings that came off had orange paint on them.

So can anyone confirm this? What is this all about? Do I have anything to worry about or do they just add the second o ring as a shield when painting to protect the real o ring?

Please do tell. I have the dealer coming out tomorrow to address a few other minor issue and was trying to gain some knowledge on this one before asking him about it.

Thanks in advance!
I noticed the same thing on my new BX25. There were o rings on the loader bucket lift cylinders that were at the end of the ram and had over spray of orange paint on the. Looking into the end of the ram, it does not appear to be one of the internal o rings and I wondered the same thing.

J

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
its a painting shield on the new assembly.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The cylinders will use seals, not o-rings. Those are just there to protect the seal. Nothing to worry about.

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
Great!

Thats what I thought, and just wanted some confirmation without having to solely rely on my dealers response.

What a great place to get such helpful info!

You guys rock!

Thanks

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I noticed that on mine as well. I just assumed thats what they were for. When I was at the Dealer looking at some of the other[ brand] new tractors they all had that o-ring on the cylinders.Guess using o-rings are easier then masking tape.