No power anywhere

Mastro9

Equipment
L4610HSTC
Apr 1, 2016
Sherman, PA
I am hoping someone can help. My tractor is not starting. It will not even turn lights on. The battery is reading 12.7v at the terminals. It will not turn over at all. If I remove the battery from the equation and connect the negative to the positive through cables, I get continuity to the headlights, starter, etc, which should tell me there is not a faulty fuse or anything.

Now the even more odd part in my mind. Even though the battery will read 12.7 volts at the terminals, as soon as I turn the key, then hook my volt meter across where the main 60A fuse is, it registers in the 10A range, and then I can watch it slowly work its way back up to 12.7v range. The fuse tests out as good.

Am I missing something? Is there a safety switch engaged somewhere that I am missing? There is no seat safety switch, the PTO is not engaged, the clutch is engaged when I try to start it.

In my mind (similar to a vehicle) as long as the key it turned partially, some sort of electronic component in the tractor should come on and nothing will.

Please help!!!

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Maybe your battery is going bad. Have a load test done on it

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you tried jumping it at the starter?

I would start by cleaning the terminals and post on the battery. Follow the ground wire where it hooks to the frame and make sure it's clean as well. Start with the easy stuff first and eliminate one step at a time. I say that so when you find the problem you'll know for sure what fixed it. If you do 4 or 5 things at once and the problem goes away you won't know what to look for if it happens again.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
As Bulldog said the place to start is the battery terminals and the ground connection to the tractor. The terminals and post need to be really clean as in shiny metal. Use a wire brush or sandpaper as you need to get the corrosion off for a good connection. They make special brushes for cleaning the terminals and posts, one end fits over the post and the other end fits in the terminal. I have seen a lot of trouble shooting end when someone walks over and twists a battery terminal.

Mastro9

Equipment
L4610HSTC
Apr 1, 2016
Sherman, PA
Maybe your battery is going bad. Have a load test done on it
I had the battery tested and it was determined to be in good condition. I was told to put a slow charge on it overnight. This was all done.

The reason I question the battery issue is that I tried it with the above response, and also tried a brand new purchased battery. Same result for both.

Mastro9

Equipment
L4610HSTC
Apr 1, 2016
Sherman, PA
Bulldog and Grouse Feathers:

Both battery terminals were cleaned to shiney bright lead, as well as the ground connection to the frame.

I completely agree with starting simple!! I Also installed a new battery purchased yesterday. Same result. The main 60A fuse shows that it is good, but this would be my next purchase.

Again, Battery shows 12.7v, but after turning the key, the terminals where the fuse connects into drops below 10v, and then slowly works it's way back up to what the battery reads. To rule out a bad + terminal wire, I used jumper cables and went from the + terminal to where it connects to the main on the starter and got the same result.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
From reading your posts you have not ruled out a bad ground cable even though you say it is clean at the battery and at the frame. It could be corroded and failing in the middle if it is an insulated cable.
I am assuming from your posts you have a multi meter.
Go to this site and print out the Denso trouble shooting bulletin.
Denso is a major manufacturer of vehicle electrical systems.
For now ignore the tests done using a load tester and do the two other voltage drop tests.
The results of these tests should narrow down the search for your problem.
http://densoautoparts.com/sites/default/files/tech-tips/DENSO Starter troubleshooting tips.pdf
Dave M7040

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
In my experience in such cases, it is 95% of the time a bad ground. (Others have already mentioned this.)

Try running a jumper cable from the negative terminal to a bare spot on the engine block. Then try to start it.

Someone else mentioned jumping the positive directly to the starter (if you don't mind sparks!). But still ground the negative side of the jumper cable to the engine block.

Let us know how this test goes.

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Take a set of jumper cables. Connect one black end to the negative terminal of the battery.
Connect the other end black lead to the engine block somewhere not painted like the alternator bracket.

Try it. This replaced your ground cable assembly. If starts or power then look closely at ground. If not the look closely at positive circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Electrons are funny....

GWD said "In my experience in such cases, it is 95% of the time a bad ground."

I have had more #$%$%@# problems traced back to a bad ground or a "safety switch"

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I just looked up your tractor and I see it was last produced in 2002. Battery cables do fail under the insulation and still look perfectly normal. They can show continuity but resist even the current of the dash lights. As others have suggested jumper both the positive battery lead and the ground. You start at the battery and work your way down the line.

Kansas Chris

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 Kubota Z412
Aug 5, 2024
Kansas
Hello, I was experiencing the exact same thing with my 2012 BX2370. I used this thread to troubleshoot my BX and it turned out to be the battery cables. I replaced both the Red Positive Black Negative cables. Also cleaned all grounding connecting points, checked the kill switches, and ignition switch. Load tested the battery, and checked the starter. Thank you for this thread/advice everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello, I was experiencing the exact same thing with my 2012 BX2370. I used this thread to troubleshoot my BX and it turned out to be the battery cables. I replaced both the Red Positive Black Negative cables. Also cleaned all grounding connecting points, checked the kill switches, and ignition switch. Load tested the battery, and checked the starter. Thank you for this thread/advice everyone!
Good solution, but...... response to an EIGHT year old original post?

Kansas Chris

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 Kubota Z412
Aug 5, 2024
Kansas
Good solution, but...... response to an EIGHT year old original post?
Hello fried1765, It is an EIGHT year old post BUT it was a NEW problem for me AND is the thread that popped up when I googled "Kubota 2370 With no power at all". Have a great day fried1765 :)