newbie questions on purchase

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Hi folks

Been reading here a bit, decided to join up. I am in the market for a tractor...I think I'm pretty well decided on a L3800 HST 4wd, w QA loader 66" bucket. I believe it fits my needs well. (pretty sure anyhow LOL)

My situation is this...our property is about 100ac, 95% is woods. Driveway approx 1/2mi long, and about 2-3 acres of grass that needs cut (along driveway, around pond). Most of this only needs to be cut once a month or so. Have a small yard, do that with my small riding mower.

Will mostly use the tractor for mowing, snow removal, and driveway grading. Occasional use in the woods on logging roads (cutting firewood, etc). I'd be suprised if it got more than 100hrs use a year.

Don't think I need cruise for anything, do I?

Would it make sense to get hydraulics installed in front or rear? I have some skid steer attachments (grappel bucket particularly) that I could use if I had front hydraulics.

I know I need some sort of cutter (5' ?) and some sort of rear blade (grading/snow removal). Any suggestions on good implements that won't break the bank?

Not sure on what type of tires. Based on what I've read, I think that I could get by on R4 tires the vast majority of the time, assuming they do good enough in snow to clear my driveway. Not sure if it would make sense to go with R1 or not. I don't have any ag fields to work, at least not at this point.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. This will be my first tractor, so I am green --> :D

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
To clarify my question on the hydraulics... if I have a FEL with QA bucket, do I need a separate hydraulic setup to attach a skid steer hydraulic implement? Or will it work with what is currently there. Thanks

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
To clarify my question on the hydraulics... if I have a FEL with QA bucket, do I need a separate hydraulic setup to attach a skid steer hydraulic implement? Or will it work with what is currently there. Thanks
I believe so, but the 3rd function up front is good to have in case you want to pickup a grappler, which is a great tool. For the backend if you want to have a thumb or height adjustment (or others) it is good to have. I would get the front added on purchase as it is typically cheaper from what I can tell.

HTH