New Zero turn

P8riot

Equipment
Z422KW-60
Aug 21, 2024
Indiana
Hey guys,

New guy here! I went to my local dealer for a Stihl blower and I was eye balling the zero turns. I have a Husqvarna Z254F and it's just not enough for my 2-3 acres I'm cutting. The local dealer has Dixie Choppers and Kubotas. I honestly had not given Kubota a thought for zero turns. I was hoping to get a tractor, but couldn't cough up the $ for what I would want. For now the ATV and tow behind stuff will have to work...sigh. I immediately was drawn to the Dixie Choppers because well, their reputation! But then when I dug deeper, it seems they had some issues but may have gotten past that. But items listed on the spec sheet aren't on their mowers and they change parts from year to year it seems, IE one year they use Hydo and the next year the same model gets Parker. It is freaking me out that they are not consistent from year to year and what is listed on the spec sheet isn't there! The foot operated chute blocker is listed as standard, but it's not on the mower. Are they just throwing whatever they have on hand at the Blackhawk model?! It is a shame because I live 20 miles from their facility. I wanted to support local and figured replacement parts would be available. But if they change from year to year that may not be the case.

The salesman recommended the Kubota Z422-60 with the Kawasaki from the get go. After doing research, I have to say I'm leaning that way now too! They are consistent from year to year, have a huge backing with tractor sales unlike Dixie Chopper.

Long story short, anyone out there have the Z422 or the 421 and could give any real world experience?

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My experience is to avoid lightweight stamped decks, plastic wheels, or anything homeowner class sold at big box stores.

I'm not a fan of gas motors and prefer diesel for longevity and fuel efficiency.

In general you get what you pay for, buy once, cry once.

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
I have a Z2432KW-48, purchased earlier this year and I like it very much. It has a 21.5 HP Kawasaki on it.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68,Flail Mower,Z421
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I recently bought a Z421 with the 60" deck. I really like the way it cuts and it has tons of power. I did buy a track seat for it for $188 on Amazon which made a big difference in the ride. What used to take 3 hours ot cut now takes me just shy of 2 hours and the fuel economy is much better. So far the only maintenance I've done is the initial oil change at 8 hours and it was easy to do.

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
Besides the Z242KW-48 gas mower I recently bought for my wife, I still have my ZD331 with a 60" deck. The diesel engine on the ZD331 has been issues free. I've had it about 10 years.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Dixie Chopper was founded by Art Evans in Fillmore, Indiana, purchased by Jacobsen/Textron in 2014, and went out of business in 2018. The Alamo Group (an "investment company") bought the assets and under the Dixie Chopper name started assembling generic Chinese kits in their Gibson City, Illinois location.

Many Chinese products use whatever is cheapest and available at the time and shove it out the door, so what is in/on a product varies, sometimes month-to-month. Customers get a working (usually) product at low[er] initial price (usually) than name-brand products. Stacking Error results in hit-or-miss quality, some units will be exceptionally good, most will be "okay," some will have chronic problems from day one.

The long-term concern on a high-dollar investment may be finding parts in ten years--commercial use may expect a product to last two to five years, homeowners may expect to keep a unit 20+ years. High-volume brands (Holzforma) will likely have an ongoing supply of parts, others...maybe not so much. Buy wisely for your needs.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
OK, in this same vein, what about Country Clipper? I believe they are still family-owned, but then again...

(I like their single joystick design that allows one arm free to defend from branches and biting insects, oh, and holding that adult beverage!)