New L4701 or used L4610

OldKid

Equipment
L4610, Woods rake, box blade, brush hog, Blue Diamond grapple, LP spreader
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Wow, am I glad to have found this place. New member here and I need a tractor desperately. We own 40 mostly wooded acres in the Virginia Blue Ridge foothills and the ATV, manual labor and borrowing of equipment just don't cut it any more. I will be doing a lot of clearing work - trees, dead falls, heavy brush, etc., as well as field/food plot cutting and maintenance - 3-5 acres, road and trail maintenance (1/4 mile of road, plus 1 mile of trails) and some fence work. I'm "on the fence" about new or used, but if money wasn't an issue, I'd buy a new l4701 with FEL, along with box blade for road and field work, root grapple for clearing work and some kind of deck. But I just saw an ad for an L4610, with deck and LA 852 loader with toothed bucket for $19,500. Looks exceptionally clean and the owner insists that it is in immaculate condition. Thoughts on new or used and whether the L4610 is a good deal or not? Thanks!

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Kid. Glad that you found us and joined.

It of course will be your decision but with the new L4701 you can get 0% financing. If you get all the attachments at the same time then they will get the 0% financing also.

One thing to be aware of is that the L4701 will have the Tier 4 DPF that the L4610 won't have. Some do not like the regens and others say that it is not a big concern. Also how many hours does it have.

Last edited:

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Thanks Mickey. It's got 395 hours and the guy has all of the maintenance paperwork/logs. Typically, how often should i expect the regens and for how long? Assuming the machine is in good shape, does the price seem to be in the right ballpark?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
How often the regen on the L4701 happen depends a lot on how you use the tractor. The harder you use it, the fewer regens you will have. Idle a lot and you will have quicker regens.

395 hours for a tractor that old is very low. What did he use it for? Which model is it? HSTC or Gear?

You can check with TractorHouse.com to check out pricing on the L4610.

Travlinman

Equipment
M 4030 su
Oct 6, 2016
Bellville
FYI, I posted separately about the issues I'm having with the L4701. Mine has 60 hours on it. I have the brush grubber as well so one thing you want to be aware of is the PTO electrical wires run below your right heel pad into the block. Since you are grubbing like me, you need to be aware of this. a piece of brush caught on my PTO wire and pulled it out from the tractor. It actually broke a little wire in the connection. It is going to cost me $2,000 to fix this seemingly simple item. Kubota has told me that it is a design flaw and will fix it in newer models. I'd request them to build a brush guard around the connection so you don't have the same issue as me. Just my 2 cents worth. And FYI, Kubota has not been very helpful about fixing this issue. Just beware!

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Current owner used the tractor for "grooming meadows and fields." I guess my question at this point is how to determine if the machine is indeed in "like new" condition. I'm no mechanic and even less of a Kubota expert. If it was a used car, I'd take it to my trusted mechanic. In this case, the logistics are a little more complicated.

In the meantime, I received a price from my local dealer of $37,705 for a new L4701 4WD HST with LA765 Loader / 72" Bkt, Woods 66" Grapple, Woods BSS72 box scraper and Woods BB72X Cutter.

So, there' a $10K difference between the used machine, plus the implements I'd need to buy and adding 3rd function hydraulics, and the new, complete setup. I'm almost thinking that the comfort of knowing the machine is under warranty and that I have the dealer 30 minutes away is worth the difference.

Somebody talk some sense into me, please! :rolleyes:

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
There is certainly some piece of mind when buying new. And I would not be afraid of the regen process. I wish I'd bought the next bigger tractor motor with the regen instead of being told to be worried about it.

The $10K difference in your price buys A LOT of maintenance at the same dealer who's 30 minutes away and they'll be glad to have your business. My dealer actually does home service calls for a lot of stuff, yours may too.

If you buy new, you'll want to buy Kubota implements to get the 0% financing on them. If you buy the used one, you can buy other brands of implement and possibly get better products or save some money or buy used and save even more.

Go drive the new 4701 and test it out and get a good feel for it. Maybe drive another similar model at the dealer too and see how it works. Then go drive the used one. Ask to see the service logs. Ask the guy how to change the oil, how to change the tranny fluid, how to check the filters. You'll know pretty quick if he did the work or if he's pulling your chain.

Maybe check you tube on how to spot a good tractor and what to watch out for. Someone's got to have made the video. Either way, have fun.