New Guy looking at m60/7060

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I don't plow with my tractor, but I use a box blade and manicure the driveway with a plane. I am more of a sparky engineer, but I wasn't completely asleep in class when fluid dynamics was discussed. I think (don't know from experience like I'm sure a lot of people on here do) that the major drawback of an HST over a gear would be the heat generated in the hydraulics. Too much heat can lead to things like blown seals etc... HST's have infinite speed control in 2 or 3 ranges, but this can be a problem. More flow should help mitigate the heat buildup and in order to get more flow you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor (assuming the RPM is constant). If plowing could be done in low range with the pedal to the floor, I think this would be the best case for heat mitigation (is this enough? I don't know). Does anyone have experience doing this? Even at this, I could see where a gear would give more options for speed control.
HST transmissions are wonderfully convenient (I have three) but not efficient.

This, of course, is why high HP tillage tractors do not use HST transmissions, but rather other, more efficient and more expensive variable speed alternatives.

FWIW, MAN tried marketing HST railroad locomotives in the US in the 60s. Yes, they would pull trains but they were a commercial failure do to inefficiency (fuel usage) vis a vis the electric transmissions universally accepted the world over.

IHC marketed HST tractors in the 1970s in HP ranges exceeding 100 HP. Again, these were commercial failures for multiple reasons, including fuel usage. Yes, there were other reasons.

Only recently have manufactures again marketed HST tractors in the 50 HP range, and these are certainly not directed at the tillage market. There are valid reasons for this.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you're driving in a straight line at constant speed, and pulling hard, an old school manual transmission makes a lot of sense. If you're going backwards and forwards, changing speed a lot, or constantly adjusting, then HSTs are great.

Sure, if you're tilling fields all the time, don't get HST. But if you needed to till a field once in a while (presumably a smallish field, given we're talking a smaller tractor), then it'd do it.

Anyway, miles off topic. Not sure the OP wanted to till any fields.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
My uses are quite different from you, but i enjoy the 7060. i'm just moving firewood around, all 8' logs (for now) that i have delivered as going to the bush around here is not possible without permits, and even more equipment than i have. However,'for cleaning up the yard, moving logs, pushing snow, some future landscaping, and a 6-8 mile drive to most customers, (pulling the dump trailer that my current truck can't legally do) the M7060 has been overkill, but nice. My father recently bought a cab tractor and said he wished he had of had a cab growing up, so i got one to start with. The 12 speed is great on the highway, 25mph so going places is not a big deal. The emissions stuff has not been an issue over a year and 150 hours, it's regen'd 3 times maybe? working hard is what these systems like. and when it does cause issues? delete kits are available.
My wheels are set in narrow and i've been trying to find the time (and the tools) to swap them over wider and that will no doubt make it much more stable on unlevel ground. Over on TBN forum there were some good threads on building skid pans which you'll need, maybe fabbing up a cab protector would be a good idea too.

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
If you're driving in a straight line at constant speed, and pulling hard, an old school manual transmission makes a lot of sense. If you're going backwards and forwards, changing speed a lot, or constantly adjusting, then HSTs are great.

Sure, if you're tilling fields all the time, don't get HST. But if you needed to till a field once in a while (presumably a smallish field, given we're talking a smaller tractor), then it'd do it.

Anyway, miles off topic. Not sure the OP wanted to till any fields.
Agreed.

I mis-read the original post. I saw that he wanted to plow but missed the bit about snow.

Sorry for the tangent.

SDT

Last edited:

Fezzik

Apr 13, 2020
Lincolnshire, IL
Well I tested out both the cab model and the open model. Decided on the open model. The cab was a little taller and higher off the ground. I went to the woods to check it out again keeping an open mind of a cab and came to the realiziation that a cab would not work well in my situation. The open m7060 is 12 speed, 2 rear functions, and 3rd front option. Its a 2017 model but only has ~200 hours on it. Like just about everything on it EXCEPT that the 3rd function for the front loader's hose hangs down and I can see that getting caught in some sticks. Gotta figure a way out to protect it.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I took them all to heart and it helped my decision.

.... now I am a big DIY, and i'm looking for the service manual and parts manual for the tractor? I'm getting conflicting info on where to get this? Can someone steer me to the 7060 manuals?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Great choice! We have a M7060cab in the family. Always a pleasure to operate.

choctawroseranch

Equipment
6060/7060
Feb 25, 2022
SE Oklahoma
Well I tested out both the cab model and the open model. Decided on the open model. The cab was a little taller and higher off the ground. I went to the woods to check it out again keeping an open mind of a cab and came to the realiziation that a cab would not work well in my situation. The open m7060 is 12 speed, 2 rear functions, and 3rd front option. Its a 2017 model but only has ~200 hours on it. Like just about everything on it EXCEPT that the 3rd function for the front loader's hose hangs down and I can see that getting caught in some sticks. Gotta figure a way out to protect it.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I took them all to heart and it helped my decision.

.... now I am a big DIY, and i'm looking for the service manual and parts manual for the tractor? I'm getting conflicting info on where to get this? Can someone steer me to the 7060 manuals?
how has the 7060 worked out? I am in the same boat and for the roughly $2500 diff I will most likely go 7060

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
M7060 is a great tractor cab or rops. I was also in the same boat not sure if cab was the way to go as I’m in the bush a lot with it but the height difference isn’t really that much cab vs rops. Cab was like 4 inches higher then rops if I remember correctly. Ive always owned geared tractors so I just stick to what I was already use to. The shuttle shift was a big upgrade to me from my old fords F-N-R with no clutch I should have upgraded sooner Low hanging branches I guess could be a problem but I’ve never had one even close to breaking a window. I think paying attention to what you doing is key to saving glass.
Another big plus for me with the cab is that I’m not limited to the weather as much.