New Guy looking at m60/7060

Fezzik

Apr 13, 2020
Lincolnshire, IL
I'm looking at the m6060/7060 series tractors. I've really been back and forth whether to get the cab or the rops.

I'm almost set on getting the 7060 with 12 speed. I was going back and forth between the l6060 and m6060/7060, but I think for forest work the m series would do better with the weight. Look for that hydraulic flow. I'm set on getting a 3rd function or adding it for grapple work.
I've got 240acres of forest with about 6 acrces of clear land that i want to seed and also have lots of trails to keep clean. In the future I want to clear out about an acre or two for a cabin to be put in. Also want to create new trails and clear out a lot of underbrush. Couple years want to be able to plow the mid WI snow.

I've driven little kubota l175 that still running. Am I getting too big of a tractor? My search started with the mx4200 / L series and moved up to the m series.
Also... cab. i've never owned a cab tractor. Everyone is telling me its nice to have, but is it pratical with forestry work? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Mixed views on cabs. Apparently expensive when you hit tree branches. But in my mind better than a tree branch in the face, that's just me.

An M sounds pretty big for what you describe. Which of your tasks requires a machine that big? How wide and tall do you expect your trails to be - are they for a snow mobile or a side by side, or bigger vehicles? GP outdoors has some good you tube of him logging with a B2601 (admittedly not all that fast), I would have thought an L or a Grand L would be plenty.

Having said that, so long as you're planning to make trails big enough to get it down, no shame in a bigger machine. "I have too much power" said nobody ever.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the L3560 with the cab and it is nice. I also have allergies, so having the cab makes it much more enjoyable for me to work out at the farm. You do pay attention a little more with your cab, but they are well built. I have a Sawhaul on my tractor and I have trimmed branches/cut down trees that have gotten in my way.

I would HIGHLY recommend the 3rd function and a grapple. It is amazing to me how much you can accomplish with a grapple. I have used it from tearing out fence lines, removing brush, hauling off trees, and moving old implements. It is well worth the money.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
On my hilly rocky 50 acres, I began with an L4630 cab.
I primarily use the tractor for logging, wood hauling and snow removal, no ag work at all.
I have since upgraded to a cabbed M6040 for the extra weight and power so managing the aforementioned tasks are easier and less strain on the machine.
As far as woods work is concerned, I have to open up my trails to accommodate the bigger cabbed machine and one has to be vigilant.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
All depends how big you want your trails to be, how much mowing you will have and how big an area you will have to clear of snow.
I've built over a mile long of these bush roads on my property with a B series. And I mow 2 acres of lawn and snow blow 300 feet of driveway with a turn around for my transport.
Any tractor will do the job. It's just how big of bites you wan to take at a time.

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm looking at the m6060/7060 series tractors. I've really been back and forth whether to get the cab or the rops.

I'm almost set on getting the 7060 with 12 speed. I was going back and forth between the l6060 and m6060/7060, but I think for forest work the m series would do better with the weight. Look for that hydraulic flow. I'm set on getting a 3rd function or adding it for grapple work.
I've got 240acres of forest with about 6 acrces of clear land that i want to seed and also have lots of trails to keep clean. In the future I want to clear out about an acre or two for a cabin to be put in. Also want to create new trails and clear out a lot of underbrush. Couple years want to be able to plow the mid WI snow.

I've driven little kubota l175 that still running. Am I getting too big of a tractor? My search started with the mx4200 / L series and moved up to the m series.
Also... cab. i've never owned a cab tractor. Everyone is telling me its nice to have, but is it pratical with forestry work? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
I own both L6060 and M9960 tractors, and offer the following observations.

DO NOT get the L6060 if you plan to plow in the future. Hydrostat tractors are not suitable for anything but incidental plowing.

I drive around and beneath trees so NEVER buy cab tractors.

Before buying my M9960, I was shopping for an M7060 but found the M9960 to be a better deal (IMHO) even though it was/is bigger than I actually need.

240 acres is a lot of ground. I would go big.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I own both L6060 and M9960 tractors, and offer the following observations.

DO NOT get the L6060 if you plan to plow in the future. Hydrostat tractors are not suitable for anything but incidental plowing.

I drive around and beneath trees so NEVER buy cab tractors.

Before buying my M9960, I was shopping for an M7060 but found the M9960 to be a better deal (IMHO) even though it was/is bigger than I actually need.

240 acres is a lot of ground. I would go big.

SDT
Exactly. Cabs and trees, bad combination, why I have a pair of M9's actually. Know nothing about a hydrostat except for serious ground engagement, they blow. Would you plow with your car with an automatic? No way. Same with a tractor with a hydro.

Lets just put it this way, a tree branch putting a hole in the roof will set you back to the tune of $1600 give or take. Cabs are nice for an open space.

I always get the biggest unit I can afford but I buy used, I hate the T4 final junk.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
People are too afraid of trees with cab tractors. We ran cab tractors for 30+ years in the woods. We used them getting out Firewood, logs, gathering Maple Sap and running along the tree line at edge of field opening up hay fields and corn fields on the chopper. We had 10 tractors with cabs and some of our help was not exactly careful by a long shot. In all that time in the woods, only broke 1 window from tree branch. Broke more windows from the disc mowers throwing pebbles through the windows. The way cabs are designed, they will take a pretty good beating from trees branches unless you are slamming right into a big one that doesn’t move. As long as you use a little common sense, I would not hesitate to buy a cab tractor and take it into the woods.

Godaddy

Equipment
m7060
Feb 5, 2020
usa
I love my m7060 open station so far! With the grapple on, it can clear some paths! Just about finished making mine wider/taller to fit the new tractor. If you do get 7060, get the cast center wheels with radial tires filled. That's what I have and you can move some trees and brush!

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Well lets talk buying the tractor. If you will be financing it with Kubota they will require insurance. Buy theirs. It has a $250 deductible which is very low to cover any cab damage. Finance it for as long as you can to keep the coverage.

I use a cab some in the woods and really have no issue doing so. Have bigger concern with it around the tree line in a field for the limbs are thicker there and lower than most trees in the woods here as other trees shade out the lower limbs.

Advantage of cab are many with doors and windows closed:
Protect you for stinging insects, wildlife, the limb hitting your face, frozen ears and other body parts, rain, sleet, snow, chemicals and dust blowing back into your face and on you, busted hyd hose spraying you.

Disadvantage of cab: cost more, possible damaging it, don't drive with doors open, must use AC on mild temp days if in the sun, can not mount tool box o a fender. Some sounds are lost you might wish you could hear, like a squeaky bearing or barking dog or car horn.

No one has mentioned ground clearance. In the woods it can be huge. I have a M6800 and just got a L6060 with cab. We don't have snow to worry with but to me the M series is built better for the woods as it has longer wheel base and may be wider believe am correct on that which allows easier crossing down trees. Believe the M also has higher loader capacity. The hydrostate transmission (the L6060 is largest tractor with it) I don't think can be beat for loader work as you can run up to and then crepe in the loading. Think you will find the M size cab more comfortable and even here read about complaints with the L6060 seat, I am one of those who are disappointed with it.

To test what I am saying on the wheel base take say a 6 inch block with you to dealership and try driving each one over it.

Has been said most people will trade to go larger and I have gotten to the point I am downsizing due to stopping with farm and age. Buy the power you know you will need but also the power you will want.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Comparing an HST to an automatic transmission in a car/truck is not a fair comparison. The only thing they have in common is that they both use fluid to transmit power.
Exactly. What new truck can you buy that doesn’t have an automatic transmission? HST and an auto trans are two totally different things.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Hydrostatic's can't do ground engaging work? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQjG-XNTyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PYnwZ2xhs

Ya, I know, now someone will argue they are bulldozers and not compact tractors. But it's no different than comparing an HST to a car's automatic transmission.

And by the way, yes, I have seen a Chevy blazer with an automatic do ground engaging work pulling a plow and a set of discs, LOL

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Ya, I know, now someone will argue they are bulldozers and not compact tractors. But it's no different than comparing an HST to a car's automatic transmission.

And by the way, yes, I have seen a Chevy blazer with an automatic do ground engaging work pulling a plow and a set of discs, LOL
A guy just down the road from me uses his jeep to plow and disc his garden

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A guy just down the road from me uses his jeep to plow and disc his garden
In the early/mid 50s, Jeep offered farm implements, including a three point hitch, for the jeep.

They sold a few but the system was not a commercial success.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

I've re-read the thread and have not found where anyone said that HST tractors "can't do ground engaging work."

There is a world of difference between "can't do" and not well suited for plowing.

SDT

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've re-read the thread and have not found where anyone said that HST tractors "can't do ground engaging work."

There is a world of difference between "can't do" and not well suited for plowing.

SDT
EXACTLY. You can do about anything with anything but to do it well is a different story.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My dad worked in a strip mine that ran 110 ton belly drop coal trucks. Every single one was an automatic. They tried to use a clutch on the first ones produced but the clutch could not pull the loads without damage to themselves. They were retro fitted with the automatics and ran for years after.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I don't plow with my tractor, but I use a box blade and manicure the driveway with a plane. I am more of a sparky engineer, but I wasn't completely asleep in class when fluid dynamics was discussed. I think (don't know from experience like I'm sure a lot of people on here do) that the major drawback of an HST over a gear would be the heat generated in the hydraulics. Too much heat can lead to things like blown seals etc... HST's have infinite speed control in 2 or 3 ranges, but this can be a problem. More flow should help mitigate the heat buildup and in order to get more flow you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor (assuming the RPM is constant). If plowing could be done in low range with the pedal to the floor, I think this would be the best case for heat mitigation (is this enough? I don't know). Does anyone have experience doing this? Even at this, I could see where a gear would give more options for speed control.