New Gen set

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK my Orange brothers, I submit this question to the collective. The old gal has given up the ghost (5.5kw) and while it served admirably for 25 years of use, and and 25 years of abuse have rendered it scrap. Again never loan out your toys! OK the question, is this. While 5.5 KW has done the job I want to for no other reason than to have more than I need, I was thinking 10KW. So,,,,, with out starting a pizzzing contest as to which is better, I want something I can load into the back of the truck and take with me to camp or the folks if need be.
I have head some horror stories about some gen sets that turned me off, and others that are seeming to good to be true. And since the disconnect it already in place with 60 amp breakers and plug I was hoping some real world info from you guys, how your unit worked, single fuel or duel fuel gas or diesel. I will even take input on a PTO unit, if someone has one.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
10-12 kilowatt is probably the upper limit for "man portable".

At least for me it will be.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Shop and compare carefully. Plenty of creative ratings. For example, some "12KW" are only good for a sustained 8kw.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
skeets- I can’t really recommend this one yet because it’s too new. It has run the house for a few hours without issues. Probably could also run the water heater if needed.

Dual fuel 12kw with 9.5kw running watts on gasoline.

This one is a floating neutral generator. That’s important if feeding a grounded panel.

It is kind of stout at almost 300 (?) pounds - not sure on weight.

IMG_6984.jpeg

Last edited:

Oleracer

Equipment
B2150 Kubota LA 350 750 Woods S250 Bobcat 300x deere
Jul 18, 2024
CT
Buy a good honda sized to what you need. You’ll never buy another,as they last a lifetime.
Don’t care what others say they are by far the quietest on the market. Can be pushed to the max no problem. Dual fuel is kinda of a waste on portable gens as propane you loss about 1/3 your working load and they just eat propane.
I have a few gens and the honda just keeps rolling along. Only use a eu2200i on my rv when running one ac unit with easy start. 48 lbs and you can put 2 together. But they aint cheap.
I do have a harbor freight predator that goes to the race track but people hate it as it louder than almost all others. It has dropped a valve… circuit breaker and 2 carburetors so far in 5 years. It was cheap… but never again.