New B7100HSD Owner - A Few Questions

dwczerr

Equipment
B7100
Aug 10, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hello everyone, I'm new to OTT and a new owner of a B7100HSD, with 4wd and hydrostatic transmission. I believe the machine to be an '86 model. I purchased the machine from a local dealer who was selling it (and 2 others) as a favor to a large plant nursery who is a customer of theirs. The good news is that it seems to run and operate fine and starts right up with just a hint a black smoke that quickly fades, and the price at $850(!). The downside includes poor cosmetic shape (expected), the seat is trashed, hour meter broken (assume high hours), and no implements or hitch arms were included. I've cleaned the machine with a pressure steam cleaner and driven it just a little bit.

I have a few questions for you experts out there:

What baseline maintenance should I perform? I'm thinking flush the coolant system, the hydro fluid and filters, and the air cleaner. The dealer did change the engine oil/filter just before the sale. Anything else?

The machine is leaking / seeping a little diesel fuel in the area of the fuel filter and injection pump, but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from......is there a common cause of this?

Lastly the machine at times will not shut off when I pull the throttle lever back all the way. It acts like it wants to shut off, but it manages to keep going. Any thoughts?

I will try to post some pics as well. Thanks in advance! David

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Change the fluids you have suggested, adding to that the front diff, as well as the front wheel gear housings. Both use 80W-90 gear lube. You should also clean the hydraulic/tranny fluid screen. My 8200 has that on the drivers side just below the fwd/rev pedal. This simply is cleaned with parts cleaner and allowed to dry before you put it back in. Be careful not the crush the screen, or strip the thread out on the bold that holds it in place.

I would also check around on the net for an owners manual. Ebay isn't a bad place to look. Other places online will sell you copies of the manual. Or you can try http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=/ for a .pdf of the manual.

Pesky little fuel leaks. You may just have to go through and tighten each fitting along the fuel system. Sometimes those leaks can cause an air bubble to get into the line and cause some headaches when you have to bleed each injector to get the machine running smoothly.

It looks like your machine is missing the fuel pump shutoff knob. There is a lever/valve on your fuel pump that should have a cable attached to it that leads to the dash area. You pull the knob and the fuel pump shuts off, thus stopping the motor. Push the knob back in and the pump will let fuel flow again. Pulling the throttle all the way back should not shut off your motor.

Good luck with your new little orange tractor! Looks like a winner for the price you paid. Crazy bumper they had setup there....:confused:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
On my L235, the throttle lever only returns the eng to idle. There is another little lever with a finger hook,( a place to hook your finger on the lever), you put your finger in that hook and pull up. That shuts the fuel off to the eng.
Definantly change all fluids and find all grease joints and grease them.
Find a WSM, work shop manual, and get familiar with your tractor. Most problems with vehicles and tractors are caused by NEGLECT.
If you take time to read Most of this site(every time I come on, I go read something that I haven't read before) , you'll learn bunches!!!

dwczerr

Equipment
B7100
Aug 10, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Thanks everyone for your prompt and very useful responses! I've already learned some great information, and I'm sure there's more to come as I continue to read on OTT and review the parts and workshop manuals!

Very glad to realize that I'm missing the engine shut off lever/knob.......the dealer, who admittedly wasn't familiar w/ the tractor, thought that proper shut down was achieved by pulling the throttle lever all the way back. Now I know better and can source parts or fabricate something that will work.

My plans at this point are to perform throrough maintenance and check over the machine while I'm waiting on the right implements (box blade!) to come along. Then I may look into some restoration work this winter to get the old gal cleaned up a bit.

Again, thanks for all the help! David