Need help for L1500 cartridge filter

Skydawg

Equipment
L1500
May 26, 2011
Missouri
I pulled the old filter out and there was a spring in the oil catch pan. Doesn't make sense to me for the spring to be on top of the filter between the small seal gasket and the cartridge. Does anyone have a diagram of how the filter assembles (exploded view), that shows the order of assembly of the oil filter before attaching it to the tractor?

Thanks,
John

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
I am going strickly by memory but I am pretty sure that the spring goes on the bottom end of the canister holder. This would push the canister against the motor end of the housing.

Word of caution, on the L1500 that I changed the canister filter on, a few hours of use later the rubber washer that the bolt goes through started leaking. From old age I would assume. It might be a good idea to change it out while changing the cartridge. I was able to pick a washer up at the small hardware store near the property. So you should be able to get one without ordering it from a dealer.

Hope this helps.

Profnohair

Skydawg

Equipment
L1500
May 26, 2011
Missouri
Thanks for the response. I'm not clear on the location of the spring yet. The spring is the diameter of the bolt holding the canister and about 3/4 of an inch long and will slide onto the bolt freely. Where would it be placed in relation to the rubber washer? The bolt goes into the canister then there is a small O ring that goes on the bolt, then the rubber washer. The spring would have had to go onto the bolt to fall off when I took the cartridge loose. It doesn't seem it would have any function as it was (just riding on the bolt). It has to ride up against something to apply pressure. Just not clear on what.

Sorry to belabor such a seemingly trivial thing,
John

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
It has been too long since I changed the oil on that tractor (it is not mine) so I really don't remember exactly. Perhaps a PM to Service Dept Vic is in order to get the correct orientation of the parts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The spring should go between the cover and the filter causing the filter to seal to the motor.;)

Skydawg

Equipment
L1500
May 26, 2011
Missouri
Wolfman,
Between O ring and rubber washer? If so, then someone may have assembled it wrong in the past as the O ring and washer stayed on the bolt when the filter cover was removed. I believe the O ring seals the opening around the bolt hole so should go on first. Then spring, then washer?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes that sounds right: Bolt, O ring, Cover, Spring, Washer, Filter.;)

Skydawg

Equipment
L1500
May 26, 2011
Missouri
Bolt goes into cover then O ring slides onto bolt and rubber washer is next. Beginning to think the spring doesn't belong there. Don't know where it came from.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Bolt goes into cover then O ring slides onto bolt and rubber washer is next. Beginning to think the spring doesn't belong there. Don't know where it came from.
The spring most definetly goes in there. I just don't remember the exact positioning.

Did you PM Service Dept Vic? He would know for sure where it goes.