My first tractor…?

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I have 5 acres as well, 99% cleared. As I was on a budget I purchased the BX1880 with mid mount mower, front blower (I live in Canada) K-Connect etc. and Ballast box. Takes me about 4 hours to mow everything.
I have no regrets in regards to the BX1880 it is very capable and does everything I require of it.
If all you plan on doing is cutting grass, then go for something more suited to that job, but if you feel you'll have other requirements then a BX series should suit your needs and be able to grow with you. Implements hold their value so you can always sell the a mid mount mower if you purchased something else in the future.

I consider myself no expect in the tractor world, but I'm learning... Good luck with your property!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm a tractor hoarder and for mowing a Zero Turn is the cats meow, fast and effective and much better (safer too on hills).

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You mentioned a neighbor who is familiar with equipment. I would go visit with him. Ask him all the questions you have here and see how he applies your location and needs to his knowledge. Rely on him if you feel you are getting reasonable answers. Ask him about nearby purchases. If he buys used equipment and fixes them to sell he probably knows where there are newer/better models (that don't need repair and therefore he isn't interested) also. He could be a good source for any mechanical question in the future, befriend him!

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm in much the same boat. My acreage is a little more but about the same in "grass-like" substance. My road name is actually "swamp road". So, that ought to tell you what I deal with.

When I was looking to replace my 12 Y/O BX23, I opted for the B2650. That's the large frame B which has been "replaced" by the "LX" models (its essentially the same tractor as the LX).

Since my property is quite wet, I wanted a light weight tractor that is "landscape capable". I do have a side business that I use the tractor for as well. It has served me very well and it has a fairly light footprint for what it is. I don't have the SU model, nor the larger tire option. I would think that the larger tires would work even better in your situation. I didn't do it because I didn't want to have to drop the ROPS to get it in my garage door opening.

Just keep in mind that weight will not be your friend in your scenario. You can always add it when needed (ballast).

I still prefer to mow with a zero turn (I have 2 of them). One does the bulk of the work. I use the smaller zero turn (outfitted with ATV tires) for the sketchy areas if its wet.

I'd suggest combing thru the specs of any tractor you are considering and look into the ground pressure ratings (if they are publicized). You may have to dig deep to find that information for tractors. Construction equipment usually posts this.

Not sure if others have posted the differences between the BX and any of the B's, LX, L machines. The BX models come with a 2 speed rear and no position control on the 3 pt hitch.

Best of luck in your decision.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My wife and I were finally able to buy a house last year, and it happened to come with almost 5 acres of mostly meadow. I'm slowly piecing the story together, the property had horses, sometimes cattle, and the grandfather had mules. But not much in the last decade, I think.
View attachment 137382

The grass mowing is important in this part of central California since we are prone to wildfires. The former owner had a Kubota BX (of some sort) with mid mount mower and no loader to keep the grass down, or so I deduced from an old photo. Too bad it was gone before the sale… (For scale, about 700 feet to the top of the driveway.)

We got a mow last year from a nice young man who used his Kubota tracked skid steer at a very good price; sadly he had mechanical issues this year. A neighbor in the tree business did this cut with his Bobcat tracked skid steer and rotary cutter at a good price too, and he could slide the cutter under the lower rail of the PVC fencing to cut down on trimming. We would keep hiring these nice folks but circumstances have blunted that effort: broken equipment, no room on schedule, "I'm not taking any more clients since I'm 75 and want to retire", and so on. We want to be really good neighbors and keep ours and their properties as safe as we can from fire danger, so a tractor is in our future.

There is a lot of underground water in the rainy season, this image from April shows how lush and dense the grasses can be. By the time we got it mowed, the grass was over six feet in many areas. Also, the lower flats are prone to boggyness.
View attachment 137383

I desperately wish I had the mechanical inclination, moxie, and enough braveness to buy a used Kubota, but I don't. Sigh. (Pretty sure I can work a grease gun…) And there aren't many ads around here either.

The local sales manager at the dealership did have a newly traded in BX but not a price for it. He gently steered me to a B2301 he had in stock. Looked nice and I'm sure it could handle the job but I kind of wanted the five foot rotary mower instead of the four footer which I think the B2601 could handle, at an extra price. I am on a somewhat fixed income, so I've been chewing on the cost of things.

Then I saw this October Kubota first time buyer offer for the LX2620SU: https://www.kubotausa.com/finance/special-offers/detail/first-time-buyer-lx2620suhsd
That price is within spitting distance from the B2601 if I'm reading the page correctly. There also seems to be purchase packages with various options and I hope bundle pricing. The LX2620 can handle the five foot cutter too. And I think that I am also falling under the allure of the tractor…

I'm also considering taking the Kubota $0 down/0% interest/60 months offer to keep the funds a little more liquid and maybe make a little change on it myself. When the sales manager and I discussed the 2301 a month of so ago, he said Kubota was only giving a $500 rebate for a cash transaction. Also, he was not sure if I could buy the Kubota insurance if I was paying cash.

As an abject tractor newbie, is my thinking sound? I appreciate any thought you folks have.

Also, "Extended Warranty Offers" and "K-Maintenance Offers"; what are they and are they desirable?

PS. Thanks to GP Outdoors at the you tubes for the Orange Tractor Talks suggestion as a reference.
Good day.

Congratulations on the new place and welcome to forum. I don’t think I’m going to be much help, but I would suggest…

Before getting too happy with the throttle I’d recommend:

1. make a list of tasks you want to be able to do with the machine. (In your description I see mowing…I agree others that suggest ZT if mowing). If you want a tractor that’s fine, but if you can identify size and scope of other tasks it might help others suggested a size / weight of a tractor. For just mowing, tractor may not be the solution unless you just want one, and that is great too.

2. From the lush picture it sort of looks like you have egrets there…is that what those birds are? I am not familiar with your property or anything but if you would not drive a car through there when the egrets are visiting I would not be driving a tractor or ZT thru there either unless you feel really sure not getting stuck and ability to recover the machine….looks a little marshy to me. If you plan to mow that while the egrets there, look into KTAC and what it covers.

3. I think the advice to check with neighbor is solid.

Good luck. Send us some pictures of what you end up with. 🥃

wave-rider

Equipment
None yet…
Sep 9, 2024
California Central Coast
Good day.

Congratulations on the new place and welcome to forum. I don’t think I’m going to be much help, but I would suggest…

Before getting too happy with the throttle I’d recommend:

1. make a list of tasks you want to be able to do with the machine. (In your description I see mowing…I agree others that suggest ZT if mowing). If you want a tractor that’s fine, but if you can identify size and scope of other tasks it might help others suggested a size / weight of a tractor. For just mowing, tractor may not be the solution unless you just want one, and that is great too.

2. From the lush picture it sort of looks like you have egrets there…is that what those birds are? I am not familiar with your property or anything but if you would not drive a car through there when the egrets are visiting I would not be driving a tractor or ZT thru there either unless you feel really sure not getting stuck and ability to recover the machine….looks a little marshy to me. If you plan to mow that while the egrets there, look into KTAC and what it covers.

3. I think the advice to check with neighbor is solid.

Good luck. Send us some pictures of what you end up with. 🥃
1. Tough question. I mastered excavation tools (AKA hand tools) in my youth so I have been digging all the tree holes by hand, even at 72 years old. My wife wants to build an Accessory Dwelling Unit at some point, so maybe some grading and trenching? Pretty much above my pay grade, I'm afraid.

2. Pretty sure they are egrets. I enjoy seeing the bird varieties, got annoyed by the woodpeckers trying to stash sunflower seeds within cracks in the house siding… Delighted to see a turkey buzzard circle a bit and land only to fly off with a dead rat I had thrown into the meadow. They can smell from so far away.

3. He is a good guy. His Guinea Hen comes to visit every day!

Thanks for your interest.

wave-rider

Equipment
None yet…
Sep 9, 2024
California Central Coast
I'm in much the same boat. My acreage is a little more but about the same in "grass-like" substance. My road name is actually "swamp road". So, that ought to tell you what I deal with.

When I was looking to replace my 12 Y/O BX23, I opted for the B2650. That's the large frame B which has been "replaced" by the "LX" models (its essentially the same tractor as the LX).

Since my property is quite wet, I wanted a light weight tractor that is "landscape capable". I do have a side business that I use the tractor for as well. It has served me very well and it has a fairly light footprint for what it is. I don't have the SU model, nor the larger tire option. I would think that the larger tires would work even better in your situation. I didn't do it because I didn't want to have to drop the ROPS to get it in my garage door opening.

Just keep in mind that weight will not be your friend in your scenario. You can always add it when needed (ballast).

I still prefer to mow with a zero turn (I have 2 of them). One does the bulk of the work. I use the smaller zero turn (outfitted with ATV tires) for the sketchy areas if its wet.

I'd suggest combing thru the specs of any tractor you are considering and look into the ground pressure ratings (if they are publicized). You may have to dig deep to find that information for tractors. Construction equipment usually posts this.

Not sure if others have posted the differences between the BX and any of the B's, LX, L machines. The BX models come with a 2 speed rear and no position control on the 3 pt hitch.

Best of luck in your decision.
Your observations about wet ground needing a lighter tractor load strike a chord with me. Makes the "Big B"/LX models more sensible. Would the larger tire option be more tippy than smaller option?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Your observations about wet ground needing a lighter tractor load strike a chord with me. Makes the "Big B"/LX models more sensible. Would the larger tire option be more tippy than smaller option?

Thanks for your thoughts.
As the owner of an LX SU (only comes with the larger tires), the bigger tires make it more stable - less tippy. In fact, it is a very grounded tractor.

wave-rider

Equipment
None yet…
Sep 9, 2024
California Central Coast
As the owner of an LX SU (only comes with the larger tires), the bigger tires make it more stable - less tippy. In fact, it is a very grounded tractor.
Thanks for that tidbit of information, less tippy works well for me. Did you do wheel spacers?

I will admit to thinking that "SU" stands for Sport Utility even though I know it doesn't…

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks for that tidbit of information, less tippy works well for me. Did you do wheel spacers?

I will admit to thinking that "SU" stands for Sport Utility even though I know it doesn't…
SU means special utility or some such. Otherwise known as "stripped down and cheaper". I think the SU doesn't have mid-PTO.
, so you'd need a rear mower. If you're getting a rear mower anyway, no big deal.

I wouldn't get too worried about getting stuck. That's part of having a tractor. With a loader and 4wd you can get out of most places, the ones you can't you have ropes, chains and neighbours for. Good reason to get together and have a beer once you're out again.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Not true. I saw a GL3560 SU at the dealer recently that was not 2wd.
That helpful video link posted by @PaulL states that the SU is missing these three features compared to the non-SU model:

Mid PTO
Tilt steering wheel
Cruise control

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia

I did not get wheel spacers, and I have not regretted my choice. The big tires make it very stable, and you have great traction - especially with fluid in the rear wheels (about 200 lbs. per tire). I have several hilly areas that I mow, and our property has a very steep gravel drive that I maintain with the tractor.

The SU means Special Utility, and that means it lacks certain features. With an LX 2610 model, the SU does not have: mid-PTO (I have no need of one - no belly mower or snowblower wanted), cruise control (can be added), deluxe seat (can be added) and tilt wheel. FWIW, if you put the bigger tires on a regular LX, you cannot have the belly mower. Of course, the SU model is less expensive, and the cost savings of no mid-PTO makes it less complex. For me, why would I want to pay for a mid-PTO that I would never use, but if you have a need/use then your choice would be different.

EDIT: Seeing some of the above posts, the SU has 4x4 drive.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Probably sacrilegious to say on this forum, but @wave-rider, have you considered other brands of tractor? A recent thread talking about Kioti revealed some significant cost differences. I'm a Kubota fan obviously, but if cost is a big concern you might want to broaden your search. Most tractor manufacturers offer decent loan rates on new models and equipment.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The SU means Special Utility, and that means it lacks certain features. With an LX 2610 model, the SU does not have: mid-PTO (I have no need of one - no belly mower or snowblower wanted), cruise control (can be added), deluxe seat (can be added) and tilt wheel. FWIW, if you put the bigger tires on a regular LX, you cannot have the belly mower. Of course, the SU model is less expensive, and the cost savings of no mid-PTO makes it less complex. For me, why would I want to pay for a mid-PTO that I would never use, but if you have a need/use then your choice would be different.
Looks like there's only $1,300 difference in the base price between an LX2620 and LX2620SU. Are those four features worth that ... I would think so. Having those features could help when it's time to sell.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Probably sacrilegious to say on this forum, but @wave-rider, have you considered other brands of tractor? A recent thread talking about Kioti revealed some significant cost differences. I'm a Kubota fan obviously, but if cost is a big concern you might want to broaden your search. Most tractor manufacturers offer decent loan rates on new models and equipment.
FWIW, I looked at the price spread on this class of tractor (after reading that thread) using the Kioti build site, and it was maybe $1K. Of course a Kioti dealer might give additional discounts. I remember when I bought my Kubota, the price spread was less than $1K. Kioti was never a serious possibility for me due to the lack of dealerships in the area.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Looks like there's only $1,300 difference in the base price between an LX2620 and LX2620SU. Are those four features worth that ... I would think so. Having those features could help when it's time to sell.
Well, if you want the larger tires, the total difference is about $1,800.

If you choose the larger tires, you cannot use a belly mower. So unless you want/need to run a snowblower, the mid-PTO is essentially useless.

wave-rider

Equipment
None yet…
Sep 9, 2024
California Central Coast
I'd like to look at other brands, but the only two dealers near me or Kubota and John Deere, and you know…

I could check some dealers a bit further away, do Kubota dealers have varying pricing or is it pretty much MSRP?

Thanks for your interest.