Mx5100

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
Hello all I'm new to the forum. I was wondering what are your thoughts on the MX5100? Does Kubota have a lot of exsperience with turbos? They make me a little nervous due to my exsperience with aircraft engines.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Kubota has a lot of experience with turbos and have used them in their larger tractors and CUTS for years. Two of ours have turbos and so far have been reliabl though neither has a lot of hours.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I have a mx5100 and it is awesome. Had it for over two years now.

Turbos are not troublesome, the manual states to let the engine sit at idle for 5 minutes before turning off, but other than that treat it like a normal engine. I have worked on many aircraft engines and not seen a turbo problem there either.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If you keep clean air and clean oil going to a turbo, it will last. They aren't complex or problematic. And Kubota, who builds their own stuff, do great work. No reason to be scared.

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
Thank you all for your input. The problems I had with high performance aircraft was not with the turbo however it was the engine running at the boosted man pressure and coaching in the oil. I'm new to tractors and I figured that I cool down prior to shut down would be good idea. I would assume a good synthetic oil also would help prevent any oil coaking. Do you change your oil more often as well?

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Thank you all for your input. The problems I had with high performance aircraft was not with the turbo however it was the engine running at the boosted man pressure and coaching in the oil. I'm new to tractors and I figured that I cool down prior to shut down would be good idea. I would assume a good synthetic oil also would help prevent any oil coaking. Do you change your oil more often as well?
I don't have the book in front of me, but I don't think it is any more than a non turbo engine. These turbos are very small, and I doubt there is much boost.

What do you do for a living? I am an A&P, currently working on helicopters in the Gulf of Mexico. I do mostly turbine work, but did work on recips for a while.

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
I worked on Beech, Cessna and Piper long ago. I currently work for a corporate operator mostly Global Express, Falcon 900 and Gulfstrem, Cessna Carvan 208. We have a Twin Star but have very little heli exsperience .

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I worked on most light aircraft from kit fox's to G-5's. Did a lot of sea plane work also. I have been working on aircraft for 23 years now, and most of it has been helicopter work. Got my A&P somewhere around 1995, no reason to get a IA in my line of work. Worked on Apache's in the Army, and have been with Bristow (used to be Air logistics) for 16 years now. Worked on everything from 206 BIII's up to S-92's. Mainly working on Bell 407's right now on a offshore platform.

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
I only used the IA for the float removal/installation so I have to have it for 337 . We are looking to replace our Twin Star but I'm not sure what that that will be. We also have a additional Caravan and Twin Star in our Africa Location. I'm sure I'm just like you that you don't have a lot of free time keeping these machines going. The Global keeps me very busy

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I only used the IA for the float removal/installation so I have to have it for 337 . We are looking to replace our Twin Star but I'm not sure what that that will be. We also have a additional Caravan and Twin Star in our Africa Location. I'm sure I'm just like you that you don't have a lot of free time keeping these machines going. The Global keeps me very busy
I actually work 7 days on and 7 days off, plus I get over 3 weeks vacation. I think I only worked 150 days last year, and hope to work less this year. I hate twin stars, and the eurocopters. A good old bell helicopter any day.

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
Those are nice hours. I agree with your assessment on Eurocopter. The product support is pretty poor but for some reason the boss likes them.
I hope to pick up a Kubota in the near future and hopefully it will be a MX5100 if I can get the bucks. I'll travel a lot for the summer with the Global so I won't have a lot of time to see some more dealers.
Usually when I fly back from Argentina I fly over the Gulf and see the many rigs and thunderstorms. Nice chatting with you

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I aint got a clue what you 2 are talking about :confused: As long as you guys do that s all that matters I'll just sit here and drink my coffee

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Nice chatting with you also.

I really do like my mx-5100. I got the HST, and the 4wd. If I had to do it over again today, I would still get the exact same tractor.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time, and I make a mean paper airplane.:rolleyes:

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Good to see some fellow A&P's on here. Been in the industry for about 15 years. Have mostly heavy's and rotary wing experience with a couple years general.