Mower Chute Question

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68,Flail Mower,Z421
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I just bought a new zero turn and I need to keep the chute in the raised position to go through some areas especially around the raised bed gardens. I had a neighbor tell me yesterday that he took the chute off of his mower and just left if off. Is there any reason that I couldn't or shouldn't just take the chute off?

Reactions: 1 user

unhdsm

Equipment
B7500
Jan 9, 2024
Bradford, VT
I took out my trucks back window with a stone because I wasn't using the mower deck guard. I'm very lucky it wasn't a kids head.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
I considered removing mine but decided against it. I mow near my house and the last thing I want to do is break a house window.
Or even worse, injury somebody with flying debris.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I leave the chute on my Zero Turn UP most of the time but am able to flip it down when I deem necessary. I would not remove it entirely. What would be the logic in that? You remove the 'option' to have it up or down (as needed).

Since you are able to raise yours (as I am able to do with mine) to achieve whatever you seek to do by doing so, why not leave it at that?

Down:

Chee07.jpg

Up:

Orange1.jpg

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Mine was immediately removed upon purchase as it would just get in the way going around trees etc. and have no stones but generally open fields to worry about. If around anything such as vehicles or buildings, I always discharge away from them. I am usually cutting longer grass in the fields and an unobstructed discharge disperses the grass more uniformly. If on the rare occasion that someone comes toward me, I immediately shut down. Now on the other hand if I was in a residential area in close proximity to houses etc. I would certainly use it.

Reactions: 1 users

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Mine was immediately removed upon purchase as it would just get in the way going around trees etc. and have no stones but generally open fields to worry about. If around anything such as vehicles or buildings, I always discharge away from them. I am usually cutting longer grass in the fields and an unobstructed discharge disperses the grass more uniformly. If on the rare occasion that someone comes toward me, I immediately shut down. Now on the other hand if I was in a residential area in close proximity to houses etc. I would certainly use it.
That's pretty much where I'm at. I planted a bunch of small trees to fill in an area and trimming around them is a pain.

Thanks to all for the insights, I've read them all and taking all into consideration

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I just bought a new zero turn and I need to keep the chute in the raised position to go through some areas especially around the raised bed gardens. I had a neighbor tell me yesterday that he took the chute off of his mower and just left if off. Is there any reason that I couldn't or shouldn't just take the chute off?
My neighbor's lawn guy broke the window in one of my doors when his ZT, with the chute tied up, threw something through it. I wasn't home when it happened so the bill was on me, but I gave him an earful the next time he was over there, deflector still tied up.

• Sad

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Took mine off completely from day one. Spreads clippings out more so I don't see them laying.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I put a mulch kit on mine, so no discharge shoot at all.
I can get right tight to the trees.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I cracked my plastic chute on a cold fall day after bumping a rock. I cut it back and have been using it that way ever since.

My observations are that the swarf doesn't get thrown as far and more grass clippings end up on my deck, in my radiator screens and in my face on windy days.

I bought a replacement chute this spring but haven't installed it yet. I like being able to get close to trees on both sides for faster mowing times. It also takes up less space in the barn.

It's definitely a safety issue as the blades are more exposed on the chute side. One of my projects on the back burner is to fabricate a mechanism to use a small linear actuator to let me flip up the chute on demand while mowing. I will be putting the replacement chute back on because it's more comfortable for me as the operator when the chute is there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
primary reason lawsuit

busted windows are easy to repair, get caught launching a pebble at a 5 year old girl and killing her, and you'll be paying for the rest of your life.

while it is rare, 'flying debris' from mower CAN kill, usually it's 'just' painful owies, but you do NOT want to responsible even for those ! Momma can be a real 'bear' and well, YOU were at fault.

If you think you need to raise the chute, you're going the wrong way ! I've cut left side to raised beds and fences for 3 decades, never 'needed' to raise the chute. I do have a rope on it though, to get in onto the 4by8 trailer. Seems a 42" deck is 46" wide PLUS 8" more for chute. Raise the chute though and it drives up fine.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I took out my trucks back window with a stone because I wasn't using the mower deck guard. I'm very lucky it wasn't a kids head.
Similar situation here, except back then I wasn't the one who removed the mower deck discharge chute; I hit a hidden brick and sliced a good chunk off of it. It was a hell of a surprise to hit the brick and see the damage a MMM deck can do to a brick, and again to find out two hours later my truck window was blown out. That volunteer job cost $1,500 in glass replacement.

So...yeah, cut close with the left side of the deck and use a string trimmer to cut closer.

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I took out one of our great room windows with my snowblower. I didn't realize stones went much farther then the snow when exiting 😬. Same with stones and grass clippings. I always leave my zero turn chute down and find if grass isn't blowing out evenly, slow down some. I will not even mow when the grandkids are around because that chute won't stop things like that lost 10mm wrench.

• Wow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
dang, reminds me there's still a chunk of rock on the garage roof ,from snowblowing next door 4-5 winter's ago. but,at 71, I now have an excuse to NOT go up a 20' ladder ......

• Haha

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I took out one of our great room windows with my snowblower. I didn't realize stones went much farther then the snow when exiting 😬. Same with stones and grass clippings. I always leave my zero turn chute down and find if grass isn't blowing out evenly, slow down some. I will not even mow when the grandkids are around because that chute won't stop things like that lost 10mm wrench.
Why us always the 10mm???

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I took off my chute and made a chute blocker for it that can be adjusted from full open to full closed great for along driveway and gardens etc.

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Did my first full mow today. I bungied the chute up to do around the gardens first and then put it down to do the rest of the yards.