Minimum Tire Pressures?

TopK

Equipment
BX2360
Jul 30, 2023
Aylett, VA
Y
You sure the tires aren’t over filled? In theory, with the valve stem at the highest location, only air should come out.

Also, that BX has two speeds. I’m betting one too slow and one too fast to mow a rough field. I suppose mowing in high and using less treadle might lesson the beating as well.
You may be right - the previous owner filled the tires, and when I attempt to put air in them, they do squirt out water. I figured that was normal cause my 8N tires do the same thing (again filled by previous owner). I guess I need to figure out how to drain them a little.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I believe he said that he has fluid in the tires. Look, the only endearing feature of fluid in tractor tires is that it's cheap ballast. That's where the benefits stop. Fluid has the effect of reducing the shock absorbing capacity of the tire carcass and that is especially true if they are over filled (never fill above the valve stems in the 12:00 position 2:00 would be better) and it's amplified the smaller the tire.
Want a better ride? Ditch the fluid and add wheel weights if needed. Tractive performance will be better pound for pound with properly inflated tires on a correctly ballasted tractor (that's a tire manufacturer research thing not just a opinion).
As for pressure. Liability says stick with the tractor manufacturers recommend pressure. The pressure on the tire is the MAXIMUM inflation pressure not necessarily the operating pressure. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to keep a tractor tire on the rim. When we pulled the little tractors we were commonly in the single digits. Never spun a tire on a rim. Would I want to mow hillside areas like that? No. But I'm betting my M4500 doesn't have any more than 12-15 psi in it with 450 pounds of iron wheel weights on each side and it's plenty.
Agreed.

I use cast iron but never intentionally (B3350 has Rim Guard due to dealer mistake) use liquid ballast for multiple reasons.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK when you fill tractor tires keep the valve stem at 1200 and if you can jack that side up,, makes life a lot easyer on you,, as for the seat, I used some old valve springs out of an old pan head Harley I found at a buds shop, I guess you could use any valve spring and really no a brush hog wont smooth out the ride, my advice would be to slow down, and dropping TP odds of slipping the rim in the tire are pretty good.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If you have access to, or can rent/borrow one, a lawn roller sure helps to flatten out some of the bumps. Or maybe a grader scraper, grade it all down and start over.

tractors don't have suspension. Nowadays the seats can be had with some kind of suspension whether they be air or sprung. Wasn't long ago that those weren't an option either, and farmers were in/on the tractors for hours and hours on end doing, crop work. Those are bigger tractors and that certainly helps, but it still wears you out. I spend a little time on a 4640 Deere plowing when I lived in the corn belt. Yes it wears you out, even as young as I was at the time I hated doing it.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Back in the day, when manufacturers published serious operator manuals!
IMG_20230830_055941419.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Back in the day, when manufacturers published serious operator manuals!
View attachment 110372
Nice! Just think of the skill that table took to make with a type writer. Although maybe it was on the bleeding edge of word processors, either way, that was not easy. And now a fifth grader can do it in Word in a half hour.