M6 steering won't hold a straight line

Stanky Lipshitz

Equipment
M6 131
Oct 10, 2024
Southwest MO
About to talk to a service manager again about my M6. I have a little over 300 hours on it and am very happy except for the steering.
Keeping this tractor in a straight line, in the field or on the road, requires a constant, minor turn to the left. In other words, the steering wheel will rotate multiple times in the nine miles I have between farms, and even working a 40 acre field, if your aren't using gps, will result in a curving swath from end to end.

Still under warranty, and this has happened since it was brand new.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Perhaps your toe-in spec is off. I don't have an M6 (wish I did), but I would imagine the steering system is similar to my M6060 which has full hydrostatic power steering with a steering controller, steering cylinder and an hydraulic pump. There is a factory toe-in spec which needs to be checked every 200 hours according to my owner's manual. It can be adjusted at the tie rods much like a truck or car. If it's incorrectly set it could cause the tractor to veer off to one side and would be simplest to fix. After that it gets more involved with the steering controller and steering cylinder being possible culprits, but I'd start out with the toe-in.

Reactions: 1 user

Stanky Lipshitz

Equipment
M6 131
Oct 10, 2024
Southwest MO
Perhaps your toe-in spec is off. I don't have an M6 (wish I did), but I would imagine the steering system is similar to my M6060 which has full hydrostatic power steering with a steering controller, steering cylinder and an hydraulic pump. There is a factory toe-in spec which needs to be checked every 200 hours according to my owner's manual. It can be adjusted at the tie rods much like a truck or car. If it's incorrectly set it could cause the tractor to veer off to one side and would be simplest to fix. After that it gets more involved with the steering controller and steering cylinder being possible culprits, but I'd start out with the toe-in.
Thank you and I will mention that to him tomorrow.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thank you and I will mention that to him tomorrow.
I'm surprised you've put up with it for so long. That would drive me a little nuts. Hopefully it's something simple that was out of whack when it was delivered new.

If the front tires had a slightly different rolling diameter with the right one being smaller that could cause the tractor to veer right. Swapping them around for a quick test would confirm that. I've never heard of that issue but I would think that it's possible.

Stanky Lipshitz

Equipment
M6 131
Oct 10, 2024
Southwest MO
I'm surprised you've put up with it for so long. That would drive me a little nuts. Hopefully it's something simple that was out of whack when it was delivered new.
It drives me nuts as well. Like most people, I like a straight swath, even if I'm only running a brush cutter.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It drives me nuts as well. Like most people, I like a straight swath, even if I'm only running a brush cutter.
Please report back with what the dealer finds since it could be helpful to others that might have the same or similar issue.