M5660 PTO Speed Isn't Reading On Dash Display

Slick75

Equipment
Kubota MS5660SU
Sep 5, 2021
Northwest Florida
I'm looking for the switch that activates the RPM display. The PTO itself engages and functions normally, its just the speed readout on the dash that doesn't work.

It started a couple years back, it would take a few seconds after engaging the PTO for the counter to show PTO speed on the display. Over time it just got to where it took longer and longer. This year it has read only once, and that was about 3 hours into a 6 hour bush hog job. I disengaged the PTO at one point to move some tree limbs and when I reengaged the PTO again, back to no reading.

I'm pretty sure its going to be the switch because even the little screamer (buzzer) doesn't work when you exit the seat with the PTO engaged. At least I don't think it does. Its always been really quiet, I could barely hear it over the engine above idle speed, but it falls almost perfectly in that frequency range that my tinnitus rings at so it may be going and I just can't hear it. However, on the dash, it still says "PTO OFF" on the display.

I found a simple two-wire switch with a flexible metal spring tab tucked in with the engaging handle mechanism. When the handle is moved, the spring releases, so its not jammed up. I'm thinking that's it, but not 100% sure. I looked at the electrical drawings and it doesn't show any more switches, but I'm not sure I was looking at the correct drawing for what I'm looking for.

Overall, I know my engine RPMs need to be around 2400 to hit the 540 PTO in most cases, though I rarely run it quite that high. I typically keep it around 1800-2000 on the engine. Anything higher is just nasty on fuel, but also starts jamming the third function valves open or closed if I happen to use them to open or close the grapple (another issue I'd like to look into later, maybe another thread). However, one of my clients has a habit of waiting too late to call me, allowing his Cogon grass to get too thick and patchy. When that happens, I like to be able to use the Constant RPM Management button and it would help to be able have the PTO display to fine tune it.