M5-111 blank display

TyTex24

Equipment
Kubota M5-111, Kubota RTV900-XT, Kubota M4800-SU, Bush Hog 3210, JD Backhoe
Jun 17, 2024
Tyler, Texas
I was using the tractor (M5-111) yesterday when the display went totally blank, but was otherwise running and sounding normal. When I killed the tractor, it wouldn't restart. Won't even turn over. Apparently not a battery issue. Radio plays, AC fan blows, lights and wiper works. I've checked all the fuses I can find and none are blown. Anybody have an idea of what I'm dealing with here? Did my ECU fail? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
Same happened to me recently. Still have not found a solution. I am starting a new post to not hijack yours, but let me know if you figure out your black dashboard.

I have a L3240HST. Bought in Louisiana about 1990….?

I ran it out of diesel on a steep hill. No bfd, done it many times before. Dumped 5 gallons in it but now it will not turn over to bleed out the injectors or start.

The odd thing is the screen is now blacked out, no lights on in the dash.

I have load tested the battery, strong and holding at 13.6 volts. I replaced the positive battery cable and cleaned the negative battery cable connection. Replaced the ignition switch assembly. Inspected the safety cut off switches at the clutch, HST switch, driver seat, neutral shift and PTO switch. However have not put an electric meter or ohm meter on any of them yet.

Can you test those safety cut out switches? Are they an always on switch or are they an open switch to disable starting the engine, and them closed to allow engine starting?

I was able to get the starter turned spin over fast by jumping the connection to the solenoid wire. So the battery, cables and starter are good. Just no start off the new ignition switch and the gauges are all dead, zero lights.

Any suggestions on where to go next?

TyTex24

Equipment
Kubota M5-111, Kubota RTV900-XT, Kubota M4800-SU, Bush Hog 3210, JD Backhoe
Jun 17, 2024
Tyler, Texas
Not sure how to test those safety switches. My only experience with those has been on my Kubota zero turn mower and those usually give plenty of warning by working intermittently before going out completely. I spoke to the service guy at our local Kubota dealer about my problem and he sounded stumped. Suggested all the stuff I'd already done...checking the battery, mini-fuses and slo-blo fuses. He did say that everything was tied in to that display and it would not start without the display functioning. He thought is was a little weird that it continued running well when the display went blank. Just wouldn't restart after killing it. Also said I could crack open the dash & try unplugging and replugging the display module in case the connector has corrosion and lost contact. I don't think thats it....it's a 2018 model with only about 700 hrs and parked in a shed every night. They're sending a truck for it. I have jobs pending and need it running. It's scrap iron to me like it is. I'll post the fix when they get it going, but they're painfully slow at getting repairs done. I may be without it for a while.

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
I think I would have just replaced the two primary fuses for the meter and ecu. The two backup fuses would be next. Sometimes a voltage spike, age or vibration does weird things to a fuse.