LX3310 vs LX4020 by Neil Messick

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'm not shopping, but I found the information pretty comprehensive for the comparison of his LX3310 and his new LX4020. I didn't realize it was quite a bit wider with wider loader.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Oh - you should not have posted this video; you have opened Pandora's box.

Neil says that he is selling his backhoe with his old tractor, and he does not plan to get a new one for the LX 4020. He said that he just did not use it enough to justify the cost. :ROFLMAO::devilish::ROFLMAO:

That is so contrary to often given advice here, and he is a salesman.

Full Disclosure: I did not buy a backhoe; I thought I would not have enough (really any) use for one. After 3.5+ years, I am pleased with my choice (for me). For those that bought or want a backhoe, I hope it is everything you expected and more. It was simply amusing to hear a salesman talk about his negative backhoe experience in contrast to this forum.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Oh - you should not have posted this video; you have opened Pandora's box.

Neil says that he is selling his backhoe with his old tractor, and he does not plan to get a new one for the LX 4020. He said that he just did not use it enough to justify the cost. :ROFLMAO::devilish::ROFLMAO:

That is so contrary to often given advice here, and he is a salesman.

Full Disclosure: I did not buy a backhoe; I thought I would not have enough (really any) use for one. After 3.5+ years, I am pleased with my choice (for me). For those that bought or want a backhoe, I hope it is everything you expected and more. It was simply amusing to hear a salesman talk about his negative backhoe experience in contrast to this forum.
Oddly enough my salesman told me the exact same thing.

Too much money, for not enough use.

But, being the "hard headed, cranky, old Jar Head" that I am, I bought one anyway.

Although, I realize they are not for everyone, It's no secret on this forum, that I personally love mine, and would not have a tractor without one.

18 years ago a similar argument was used to try and talk me out of buying a "stick shift" 2500 truck.

"You will never be able to sell it",
"the ride is too rough"
"repairs on 2500's are crazy high, just get a 1500 thats all you need"
"'nobody wants a stick shift, they only buy automagics"
"You will regret buying a "stick" when you get stuck in traffic"
"Clutch's are expensive"
"You'll shoot your eye out"......

Blah, blah, blah.........But here I am 18 years later, driving the same truck, and loving it.

I think I love that truck more now, than when it was new.

But hey man, different strokes, for different folks for sure. 🍸 🍸(y)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
2011 BX25D, Bro-Tek Skid Plates, Bxpanded Tooth Bar & Toolbox, LED Headlights
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
I bought a very nice condition used BX 25 some years back and it came with a factory installed backhoe.
When we bought our home and installed the cabin at the recreational property, that backhoe certainly got a lot of use. Now, that backhoe sits on a cart out in my shop building.
I built a 3 point hitch ballast barrel for the BX and the backhoe has not been on the tractor in several years.

Will I ever have backhoe work to do again? Absolutely!
I'm considering buying a new L2502 and I will order it with a backhoe.
Yup, they are expensive and not nearly as effective as an excavator.
But even with the baby sized backhoe on the BX 25, every time I needed to dig something, that BX backhoe was orders of magnitude better than doing the task with a pick, shovel, and bar.
I'm too old for the pick/shovel/bar, and I can run the backhoe all day without a problem.

Reactions: 2 users

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
Now, that backhoe sits on a cart out in my shop building.
I built a 3 point hitch ballast barrel for the BX and the backhoe has not been on the tractor in several years.

When that day comes - expect to be replacing a hundreds of dollars of hydro hoses in the backhoe... ask me how I know...

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Fwiw, I don't think Neil said a backhoe was worthless for everyone. I think his point was that it wasn't worth it for him to keep it. That being said, he can probably borrow a MiniEx whenever he wants. ;)

I fall in that camp of not missing one. I've only had my L2501 a few years though.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
When that day comes - expect to be replacing a hundreds of dollars of hydro hoses in the backhoe... ask me how I know...
I had to replace three hoses on the backhoe during the five years that I owned a BX25DLB. I used the backhoe a fair amount but I was surprised that I had to replace hoses. I seem to remember that it was at the transition from the hose to the fitting where the failures occurred.

MessickFarmEqu

Apr 16, 2010
PA
Fwiw, I don't think Neil said a backhoe was worthless for everyone. I think his point was that it wasn't worth it for him to keep it. That being said, he can probably borrow a MiniEx whenever he wants. ;)

I fall in that camp of not missing one. I've only had my L2501 a few years though.
Selling my backhoe is also because I don't have inside storage for it. I can deal with not using it all the time, but its dumb to let it rot.

of course as soon as I said I'm selling it, we're suddenly using it all the time at home so....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I bet the real reason is it's faded from sitting outside and doesn't match the shiny new tractor color 🤭. Kubotas don't rot, they fade.

Old Machinist

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 cab, JD 4310, NH 575E cab backhoe, JD F725, Swisher 60", etc.
May 27, 2024
NE FL
I did a build price on Kubota's web site for my LX3310 cab with a loader and 72" MMM. Came out to a little over $43,000. Got a quote for a LX4020 cab with a loader and 72" MMM from the local dealer that came out a little over $53,000. I think both are over priced for what they are but I guess 10 grand difference for the upgrade isn't bad.

On the backhoe subject, if you need one, I say buy a decent used dedicated backhoe. I had 5 acres of stumps to dig so I bought a NH 575E cab and fixed it up. I've got around 15 grand in it and have worked the stew out of it. I should be able to get my money back if I decide to sell it.

My neighbor bought a backhoe attachment for his Kubota. I don't remember what model tractor he has but it is CAT2 on the rear hitch so it's larger than either of the tractors being discussed. I think he spent 6 to 8 grand for it several years back. He has dug out one stump that took him 3 days (while he learned) and buried another neighbors horse. It sits on blocks under his pole barn.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I bought a very nice condition used BX 25 some years back and it came with a factory installed backhoe.
When we bought our home and installed the cabin at the recreational property, that backhoe certainly got a lot of use. Now, that backhoe sits on a cart out in my shop building.

I'm considering buying a new L2502 and I will order it with a backhoe.
Yup, they are expensive and not nearly as effective as an excavator.
But even with the baby sized backhoe on the BX 25, every time I needed to dig something, that BX backhoe was orders of magnitude better than doing the task with a pick, shovel, and bar.
I'm too old for the pick/shovel/bar, and I can run the backhoe all day without a problem.
BINGO!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Oddly enough my salesman told me the exact same thing.

Too much money, for not enough use.

But, being the "hard headed, cranky, old Jar Head" that I am, I bought one anyway.

Although, I realize they are not for everyone, It's no secret on this forum, that I personally love mine, and would not have a tractor without one.

18 years ago a similar argument was used to try and talk me out of buying a "stick shift" 2500 truck.

"You will never be able to sell it",
"the ride is too rough"
"repairs on 2500's are crazy high, just get a 1500 thats all you need"
"'nobody wants a stick shift, they only buy automagics"
"You will regret buying a "stick" when you get stuck in traffic"
"Clutch's are expensive"
"You'll shoot your eye out"......

Blah, blah, blah.........But here I am 18 years later, driving the same truck, and loving it.

I think I love that truck more now, than when it was new.

But hey man, different strokes, for different folks for sure. 🍸 🍸(y)(y)
Have owned a dedicated backhoe for 47 years.
My personal use only.
First Ford, now, Kubota.
I have never attempted to "justify" it!