Looking for some "machine advice"

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So I am entering my last 5 years of working for "the man".

My last day will be Friday November 29th 2030 at 1406. (not that I'm looking forward to it or anything 😂 )

So I have been thinking about my "shop situation".

The plan is eventually begin to move my current "Basement shop" up north to the pole barn. (4 hours away)

My current plan is to "section off" an area in the unheated pole barn so that I can heat and cool it. The pole barn is only 36 X 40 so there will have to be some "consolidating"

Long story short, I want to buy a few things while I'm still working.

Y'all know that I am not a machinist, but I like metal working, so I have begun to look at lathes and mills.

I currently have a mini Chi-Com lathe and mill, and an old Craftsman 10 inch lathe, but I am looking to play with the "big boys".

There seems to be a decent selection of used machines available from a variety of sources and I am in no particular hurry.

Is there any "words of wisdom" when looking at these machines?....

things/brands to stay away from?......

must haves?

I have a ton of questions; But lets just start here:

This lathe is about 10 miles from me and I think I like it.

What say you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196538764361?itmmeta=01J8N173976FC9016QAE5B4A51&hash=item2dc29f8c49:g:rMgAAOSw9bhmRTMy&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwMxmj+iGvOveHXEBClPb29i7IbmGUwT40ldwPTN+In2KGSB9Frl+/7pLWb69aVs3rVrnX68Hal/ysIeYhLhJqFSikytvooKtcO5ogEau3nNzAmZMpm3zCDawK+ebIHyl2BjzBgc2p3W4F8aUg72gLAgGcS434T9LDKq1StTex9RKD/UtlU5KGhfxnX1B/2HF/NkqgUakpyYGR2Of1xcAAbZ+5oWazCS8NqpNNP/wTq6LPzRwoZ9hHDnSXz5mu21hPA==|tkp:Bk9SR9a0nKHFZA

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That machine looks great, Out here it would be gone in hours at that price.
Clausing makes a great toolroom lathe, good size, (bigger than my Birmingham) loads of tooling,
steady rest. Can't tell what collets it takes, but any collet setup is gold.
If it was out here I'd be on my way to pick it up right now.
Make sure you can power it, or maybe use a solid state converter. (like me)
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
That's a very nice lathe and a good size for a home shop.
One of the problems is that these things are too far away, 10 miles is a joke.
If the tooling comes with it it's a super deal.
Like Foot says, make sure you can run it on your shop power. Or at least know if you have to adapt.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don't want to detract from @Runs With Scissors thread but guessing many/most of these are at least 220/240v.

More importantly, are many of these 3-phase? Not available to the typical home service.

Is that what @Lil Foot refers to for a Solid State Converter?

I guess that part is germane to others' searches for similar used equipment.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Don't want to detract from @Runs With Scissors thread but guessing many/most of these are at least 220/240v.

More importantly, are many of these 3-phase? Not available to the typical home service.

Is that what @Lil Foot refers to for a Solid State Converter?

I guess that part is germane to others' searches for similar used equipment.

Yes, I presume that all of the "bigger" machines are 3 phase.

So that brings up the question of "are all 3 phase converters the same?'

Or are 1 hp machines different than 3 hp machines?

*****i have a "yellow light" go ahead from the "old lady" *******

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Yellow light is better than green as it means not just go, but also to stand on accelerator and scream Yeehaw 🤠 .

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

One thing I learned from another responsibility of mine is that the maximum load can be limited depending on your location.

Don't want to open a pandora's box, but apparently some home locations can be somewhat limited as to the load capacity from the pole or transformer in your location.

Everyone want a 400A service to charge an EV or two? Probably can't get there....and I don't want to.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

Usually the higher horsepower machines are 3 phase but any can be. I run my home and shop on a 200 amp service without issue. Even a 100 amp can work if you watch what the loads are.

When selecting a phase converter know that many static converters provide little power on the manufactured leg. Most rotary converters will give you near full power on all legs. Read the specifications before purchasing. I have a 3 HP, 3 phase lathe that I run on a static converter and it works OK, I added an idler motor to the system to provide some balance to the 3 legs and use it if working long or hard. I converted my DoAll saw to single phase by replacing the motor. The remainder of the shop runs on a rotary converter.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

My last day will be Friday November 29th 2030 at 1406. (not that I'm looking forward to it or anything 😂 )

The plan is eventually begin to move my current "Basement shop" up north to the pole barn. (4 hours away)

My current plan is to "section off" an area in the unheated pole barn so that I can heat and cool it. The pole barn is only 36 X 40 so there will have to be some "consolidating"

Y'all know that I am not a machinist, but I like metal working, so I have begun to look at lathes and mills.

I currently have a mini Chi-Com lathe and mill, and an old Craftsman 10 inch lathe, but I am looking to play with the "big boys".

There seems to be a decent selection of used machines available from a variety of sources and I am in no particular hurry.

must haves?

What say you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196538764361?itmmeta=01J8N173976FC9016QAE5B4A51&hash=item2dc29f8c49:g:rMgAAOSw9bhmRTMy&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwMxmj+iGvOveHXEBClPb29i7IbmGUwT40ldwPTN+In2KGSB9Frl+/7pLWb69aVs3rVrnX68Hal/ysIeYhLhJqFSikytvooKtcO5ogEau3nNzAmZMpm3zCDawK+ebIHyl2BjzBgc2p3W4F8aUg72gLAgGcS434T9LDKq1StTex9RKD/UtlU5KGhfxnX1B/2HF/NkqgUakpyYGR2Of1xcAAbZ+5oWazCS8NqpNNP/wTq6LPzRwoZ9hHDnSXz5mu21hPA==|tkp:Bk9SR9a0nKHFZA
Nov.29th = birthday?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

must haves?

What say you?

Nice little machine and a well regarded make. I am guessing no metric threading.

It has an L-00 spindle nose which is not common these days but chucks are not hard to find. The through hole will be a scant 1-3/8 which I have found to be inconveniently small. Those machibes also have an oddball internal spindle taper and the adapters are hard to find. Big plus if the 5C and MT3 sleeves are included.

You can run a 3 phase machine thst size on a 30A 240V circuit. I would reccomend a home brew rotary phase converter ' Figure around 400-500 to build it. Most of that would be the cost of a 5hp 3 phase idler motor and if you can find a used one cheap maybe closer to $200.

New parts availability is going to be spotty and mostly limited to used. Run it in direct drive and backgear and all spindl we speeds and listen for excesdive gear noise. Test ALL of the longitudinal and cross feeds and threading. Cross slide and compound feed screws and nuts are usually worn with significant backlash. I would imagin rd c someone iz selling new ones on eBay.

If you can take a few test cuts to check for wear by all means do.

Dsn

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

must haves?

What say you?

I found a copy of the operators manual - kinda skimp but too large to attach. Send me a PM and I will get ot to you.

The lathe is a little older than I thought and basically a contemporary competitor for my venerable 14" Rockwell. The Clausing is however a bit more refined than the Rockwell. The asking price strikes me as a bit high and at that price I would want to see some tooling to go with the lathe. Weight is about 1500 pounds so not a big deal to move.

Both lathes have a variable speed Reeves (belt) drive for controlling spIndle RPM. You have continuous speed settings between min and max in both direct drive and backgear. Sort of like an HST with High and Low range. The down side of the Reeves drives is they are much noisier than a geared head lathe. The Clausing has a fancy hydraulic speed adjust mechanism so run the spindle speed up and down a couple times to make sure its working

Dan

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

must haves?

What say you?

I would look up lathes under completed listings on eBay to get an idea how these are valued. I have been to many machinery shop auctions here in Pittsburgh over the last decade and there is often very little demand for this type of stuff . That lathe would have sold for maybe $1,000. Don't be afraid to make a low offer. Good luck.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I would look up lathes under completed listings on eBay to get an idea how these are valued. I have been to many machinery shop auctions here in Pittsburgh over the last decade and there is often very little demand for this type of stuff . That lathe would have sold for maybe $1,000. Don't be afraid to make a low offer. Good luck.
In 2003 I bought my 14" Rockwell in Pittsburg for $800. Very similar to the Clausing and at the time Pittsburg was loaded with this sort of old iron. Thats not the case around here and folks who favor these machines think they are worth 3X that if not more. Its all about location.

I just helped a guy on the Rockwell forum get his new 14" wired and running. He paid $2500 for it and thought he got a deal. Not exactly pristine....

IMG_7028.jpeg

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My mill is 2hp 220v 3 phase, powered with a Phase-a-matic PAM-300 solid state 1 phase to 3 phase converter.
It has run flawlessly for nearly 30 years.
I pulled the power from an unused 30a 220v dryer circuit.
I'm told that this setup will provide less than full power, but I have never been able to detect any evidence of that.
I also run my 220v 3 phase diamond/alox tool grinder on the same circuit, but not at the same time.

My lathe is 1.5hp 220v single phase running on a 10a circuit that I added to the panel.

Service panel is 200 amp.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I found a copy of the operators manual - kinda skimp but too large to attach. Send me a PM and I will get ot to you.

The lathe is a little older than I thought and basically a contemporary competitor for my venerable 14" Rockwell. The Clausing is however a bit more refined than the Rockwell. The asking price strikes me as a bit high and at that price I would want to see some tooling to go with the lathe. Weight is about 1500 pounds so not a big deal to move.

Both lathes have a variable speed Reeves (belt) drive for controlling spIndle RPM. You have continuous speed settings between min and max in both direct drive and backgear. Sort of like an HST with High and Low range. The down side of the Reeves drives is they are much noisier than a geared head lathe. The Clausing has a fancy hydraulic speed adjust mechanism so run the spindle speed up and down a couple times to make sure its working

Dan
PM sent.

Thanks for the help. (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My mill is 2hp 220v 3 phase, powered with a Phase-a-matic PAM-300 solid state 1 phase to 3 phase converter.
It has run flawlessly for nearly 30 years.
I pulled the power from an unused 30a 220v dryer circuit.
I'm told that this setup will provide less than full power, but I have never been able to detect any evidence of that.
I also run my 220v 3 phase diamond/alox tool grinder on the same circuit, but not at the same time.

My lathe is 1.5hp 220v single phase running on a 10a circuit that I added to the panel.

Service panel is 200 amp.

Thanks for the link. I will have to start doing some homework on how to build/make/install one of these converters. (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Good idea.

I did as you suggested and it appears that its not a bad deal, I'm not "stealing it" but I would not be getting "shafted" either.

Unfortunately "negotiating" is a skill set that I do not excel in. As a matter of fact, I kinda suck at it.

If someone tells me a price, and I think its fair, I buy it. If I don't think it's fair I just say "thanks" and walk away. I have made counter offers on some things, but in general I hate having to do it. Although I admit, making offers electronically is easier.

I wish I was better at it in person.

Basically if it goes through, I will have gotten a "fair deal" I believe.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the link. I will have to start doing some homework on how to build/make/install one of these converters. (y)
Its easy as long as you have adequate 240V single phase power. My shop has 200A single phase service and I use a 100A branch circuit to feedmy whole shop rotary phase converter and a 3 phase sub panel that powers all of the 3 phase equipment. A curious guy like you will enjoy the learning experience.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One consideration is that you'll need to properly control the 'environment' of your new workroom ! be sure it stays over 50 at all times and very little humdidity. precision things made of steel, like lathes, milling machines, etc. don't like the k-k-k-cold and take 'forever' to warm up.steel does expand/contract so dimensions change