Looking at 2 new models of Kubota

rkh

Equipment
None yet
Sep 3, 2024
Tioga, PA.
I'm new to the forum. 2023 L2501DT and 2024 L3302DT are the 2 models. I use the tractor only for a 800' driveway that's not covered by township for snow plowing & road maintenance. Also my private blacktop driveway. My previous tractor was a 1959 mf65 gas. I had chains on rear tires so it marks up the blacktop. I have no tractor mechanic anymore so I decided to sell it and go new. There's only a $5000 price difference, so with zero financing, I'm thinking going with the L3302DT . Thanks for any recommendations.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Welcome to OTT!

I see you're in Tioga, PA. Not too far south from my 'hood.

How much snow can you get? Lot of change between your place and mine.

You're plowing/pushing, not blowing?

You will find your MF 65 is likely a lot heavier than either of the Kubota models, but 4WD helps a lot.

Do you use front or back blade now? What do you plan with the K?

Plowing/pushing needs weight and traction. I'd go with the L2501. Is that geared or HST? Important option, and folks looks at either being a benefit depending on use. Gets you away from emissions systems. Pretty simple engine. Would require quite a bit of weight added to it, and would likely still need chains, depending on how much snow you get. An L3302 would likely need the same weight, maybe chains, etc.

Snowblowers take a lot of PTO HP. For blower I'd go L3302. More PTO HP but does have emissions. More complicated engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rkh

Equipment
None yet
Sep 3, 2024
Tioga, PA.
Welcome to OTT!

I see you're in Tioga, PA. Not too far south from my 'hood.

How much snow can you get? Lot of change between your place and mine.

You're plowing/pushing, not blowing?

You will find your MF 65 is likely a lot heavier than either of the Kubota models, but 4WD helps a lot.

Do you use front or back blade now? What do you plan with the K?

Plowing/pushing needs weight and traction. I'd go with the L2501. Is that geared or HST? Important option, and folks looks at either being a benefit depending on use. Gets you away from emissions systems. Pretty simple engine. Would require quite a bit of weight added to it, and would likely still need chains, depending on how much snow you get. An L3302 would likely need the same weight, maybe chains, etc.

Snowblowers take a lot of PTO HP. For blower I'd go L3302. More PTO HP but does have emissions. More complicated engine.
Not much snow lately, in the last few years. I use a back blade with a round stock for the limestone driveway. Both Kubota are gear driven. No snowblower.

Attachments

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Not much snow lately, in the last few years. I use a back blade with a round stock for the limestone driveway. Both Kubota are gear driven. No snowblower.
You will be much happier if you go with HST, no matter which model you choose. If cost is a factor, get the 2501/02 HST over the 3302 DT.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I can't think of any significant advantage for the L3302DT. Fwiw, I have a L2501HST and use it for snow when we have it.

It's a DPF tractor and colder temperatures and idling aren't great for those. It would kind of a bummer to have to let it run for a while just to finish the regeneration.

Some other things to think about. Consider the LX2620. You can buy it with a mid-pto which could give you the option of a snowblower or mower in the future. Also, consider the tires. Many people say that turf tires are quite a bit better on snow. I use chains, but my drive is gravel for the most part.

Finally, HST would give you more ease to backup and go forward and would be an advantage if you ever did loader work.

Have fun.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have been told to go with gear drive cause of the mechanical problems with HST
That's interesting. Who told you the HST has mechanical problems? Did you do a search here to find out about them?

Also, does the replies have to go to your emails-i get enough emails as it is.
You can change that under your account preferences ... I think.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I have been told to go with gear drive cause of the mechanical problems with HST
email replies is a setting (one I don't use!!)

Who ever said to go with gear because of "mechanical problems with HST" must not know much or is your mechanic that likes to change clutches, $$$$ Bottom line, there is NO problems with HST and they are self protected (they pop the by-pass before any trouble happens).

I loved gear tractors before I bought my HST... there isn't anyway I would ever go back to shifting gears.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The L3302 and L2501 are the same frame size with same loader. Pushing, pulling, lifting; not likely to be a big difference. The advantage (to some) for the 2501 is no exhaust treatment so not as much expensive stuff to potentially break down. The advantage to the L3302 is more HP which can be important with PTO implements depending on what you plan to do with it. Personally, I’d take the 2501 unless I had a need for more HP to run a snow blower, chipper, etc.

For the past 5 years/500 hours, I’ve been running a HST machine. For the previous 44 years/no telling how many thousand hours I ran various gear drive. For loader and blade work, I wouldn’t seriously consider gear drive. If you plan to spend a good percentage of the use pulling a disc harrow or rotary cutter around a good sized field without obstacles to work around, gear drive could be a good option. However, you can pull a moldboard plow with a HST or run a loader with a gear drive; just a matter of which is better suited to the majority of your tasks so there’s not a “wrong” decision on transmission.

So far as going with gear to avoid “mechanical problems”, for back/forth loader/blade work done by skid steers, CTL’s, wheel loaders, track loaders, graders, off road haul trucks; when’s the last time you saw any of that stuff with a gear transmission? Just something to consider.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm new to the forum. 2023 L2501DT and 2024 L3302DT are the 2 models. I use the tractor only for a 800' driveway that's not covered by township for snow plowing & road maintenance. Also my private blacktop driveway. My previous tractor was a 1959 mf65 gas. I had chains on rear tires so it marks up the blacktop. I have no tractor mechanic anymore so I decided to sell it and go new. There's only a $5000 price difference, so with zero financing, I'm thinking going with the L3302DT . Thanks for any recommendations.
You will need chains to plow significant snow regardless of which model you choose.

Might get by without chains if you blow rather than plow the snow and you have R14T tires and significant added weight.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I can't think of any significant advantage for the L3302DT. Fwiw, I have a L2501HST and use it for snow when we have it.

It's a DPF tractor and colder temperatures and idling aren't great for those. It would kind of a bummer to have to let it run for a while just to finish the regeneration.

Some other things to think about. Consider the LX2620. You can buy it with a mid-pto which could give you the option of a snowblower or mower in the future. Also, consider the tires. Many people say that turf tires are quite a bit better on snow. I use chains, but my drive is gravel for the most part.

Finally, HST would give you more ease to backup and go forward and would be an advantage if you ever did loader work.

Have fun.
The DPF inconvenience is overblown. I’ve had 2 regeneration events in the last 100 hours of use. Both events lasted 10 minutes and I kept working during those times.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You will need chains to plow significant snow regardless of which model you choose.

Might get by without chains if you blow rather than plow the snow and you have R14T tires and significant added weight.
Last year I plowed 18” of snow on my road with R4 tires and no chains. The tires are filled.