Live PTO or not live PTO?

deathvalleydog

Equipment
L2900
Sep 30, 2015
Ben Lomond, CA
TractorData shows it independent.

For an explanation of live v independent:
Interesting. The owner's manual mentions both types (independent and NOT independent) so I'm thinking it was maybe an option? I think the one I have is NOT independent, but I'm not 1000% sure.

If I'm using my PTO auger, and I push in the clutch, the auger stops spinning.

Does that mean it's NOT independent?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Interesting. The owner's manual mentions both types (independent and NOT independent) so I'm thinking it was maybe an option? I think the one I have is NOT independent, but I'm not 1000% sure.

If I'm using my PTO auger, and I push in the clutch, the auger stops spinning.

Does that mean it's NOT independent?
Do you have GST or gear transmission? With GST you'd have sort of semi-independent PTO since you could stop the tractor with the GST's hydraulic clutch and leave the PTO running.

The owner's manual and parts list make it sound like the independent PTO is optional.

deathvalleydog

Equipment
L2900
Sep 30, 2015
Ben Lomond, CA
Do you have GST or gear transmission? With GST you'd have sort of semi-independent PTO since you could stop the tractor with the GST's hydraulic clutch and leave the PTO running.

The owner's manual and parts list make it sound like the independent PTO is optional.
Mine has the GST. Which I know means I don't need to use the normal clutch in order to shift, and you can totally feel the hydraulic clutch disengaging when you do that. But is there another way to activate the hydraulic clutch?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Mine has the GST. Which I know means I don't need to use the normal clutch in order to shift, and you can totally feel the hydraulic clutch disengaging when you do that. But is there another way to activate the hydraulic clutch?
The hydraulic clutch is disengaged when the main gear select is in 'N', the shuttle is in 'N', or while shifting gears.

There's an Owners Manual at KubotaBooks, unfortunately no WSM. Here's an excerpt:

Screenshot_20240402-191736-382.png

BTW, I see yours has a parking brake light on the dash. I may see if I can use any parts to add one to my L35.

Reactions: 1 user

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
L2900 GST's are considered live PTO. If you had a gear drive L2900, "independent" PTO was optional. It used a separate clutch to engage and disengage the PTO. The independent PTO was not an option on the GST-equipped machines because you can achieve an independent function of the PTO in a round-a-bout way.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just to clarify, in a GST the hydraulic clutch is for movement only, not for PTO operation.
So a GST has a live PTO because you can put the shuttle in neutral without disengaging the mechanical clutch and the PTO will still spin, and you can also engage the shuttle with the pto spinning without using the clutch.
I use mine for snow blowing and it works great to be able to vary speed and direction without ever effecting PTO speed or operation.

And FYI (for others reading), with a GST can switch between any gear at anytime without pushing in the mechanical clutch and shuttle between forward / neutral / reverse without using the mechanical clutch.