Landscape rake?

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
I need something to help condition a dry lot for horses. I'm currently using a chain drag harrow, but it just doesn't "bite" into packed dirt and ag lime enough (not to mention its a hassle because I can't back up or raise the implement for transport).

I was originally looking at cultivators or even a box blade, but I've been watching some videos of a landscape rake in use. I'm on a tight budget and I was thinking this rake would be perfect for busting up the "crust" on a dry lot as well as leveling and smoothing the lot. I was hoping I could also use it "aerate" the yard, pastures, and hay field as well as use it to drag manure around the pastures.

I can't afford a roto-tiller and I really don't want to have 3 or 4 implements laying around taking up barn space. Any pros/cons to a rake I should be aware of?

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
Don't laugh at me now... I use an old metal bed spring for scattering manure in my pastures, just hook a rope on it and I use my quad to pull it around it doesn't tear up the pasture grass and breaks up the surface crust as well. They seem to last about 5 years or so although they are becoming harder and harder to find.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
My ex Father in law was one of the best equipment operators around and when he graded someones lawn the bedspring was the final tool before seed.

To the Original post there is no magic one tool fits all scenarios but a york/landscape rake will do what you want done.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What you need is a 3 point spike harrow, I have a few here and they do exactly what you want.

A landscape rake will kind of do what you want but they lack points to actually dig in at all.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was going to suggest the same thing. I got a drag spike harrow with my 2150. But it doesn't have a 3 point lift frame, so that's on the to-do list. That thing is a royal PIA to move around without a frame. At least 100 lbs of what amounts to 6'x'6 chain link fence made from 1/2" steel bar with spikes...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
BED SPRINGS??? I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that,, works great on gravel drive ways too

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can get frame type chain harrows to pick it up and help move them about.

See the link below for an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXskaMwLQ4

I am surprised that it won't dig in assuming that you are pulling it in the most aggressive direction. You can also add weight onto the top of the harrow to help it dig in.

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
Thanks for the input. I should clarify: I'm using a 4' x 5' HEAVY (100lb.) chain harrow on the most aggressive setting. Last time I ran it, I had SIX 40-50lb. bags of salt strapped to it. Part of my problem is the dry lot is mostly just ag lime which the horses pound into a concrete-like surface. Next spring I plan on getting some fresh ag lime and a lot of sand to help prevent the packing.

My concern is that if 300-400 lbs of weight on a chain drag won't cultivate the top 2-3", a landscape rake may not do it either.

I may end up needing a cultivator and a rake, but I'd like to start with a rake first. Then add the cultivator or maybe a box blade with ripper shanks (something that will break up 3" of hard packed ground).

beemehero

Equipment
L3800, B2410HSDB tiller mowers auger scraper blade fence stretcher rake blower
Sep 28, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know about busting up heavy crust, but I run my rake with every other tine removed with a truck tire strapped on top of it with (sometimes), a tube sand bag inside the tire for more weight.

Granted, my rake doesn't look the same as new anymore, little bend here....there, but it's paid for itself by scratching and raking out barns, logging slash, weeded gardens to remove weeds and quick "till" for bumper crop times.

I have used it several times to disturb soils enough to sow seeds.

As for packed horse dirt though, skeets link above looks like a fine ground assault tool.

RoperAndy

Equipment
L3800HST, 5' Landpride cutter, 5' box blade, 6' landscape rake, Bush Hog PHD
Apr 2, 2013
Texas
I use a landscape rake to clean the manure from my horse pin. If the ground is at all packed, the rake will not be of any good use to break it up. It does wonders on loose soil, or moving rocks for a smooth lot!

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
Seems like I may need something pretty aggressive. This weekend I strapped a 400lb log on top of the chain harrow. After several passes, it broke up about 1.5-2" of lime. I'm guessing this dry lot has been around a while and is packed harder than I initially thought. If 500lbs on a harrow won't do it, I may need a tiller or heavy box blade with ripper shanks to go deep. Given a limited budget, a box blade and landscape rake combo might be the route I have to take. Thanks for the input.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What you need is this.;)

2013-09-04 08.49.45.jpg

2013-09-04 08.49.56.jpg

I made this for about $250 and it rips the ground right up.
The spring teeth and chisel blades break the ground right up.

Last edited:

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
It just came to me the implement you need is called a " Jake Rake " They are made in Banks, Oregon I belive...google it. They come in red, green and orange also. If you can't find it get back to me.

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
It just came to me the implement you need is called a " Jake Rake " They are made in Banks, Oregon I belive...google it. They come in red, green and orange also. If you can't find it get back to me.
Just watched some videos on youtube of this contraption in action and I think that may be the ticket! Prices for a new one are a little steep...I'll be on the lookout for a used one.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
If you can imagine a box scrape with 5 or 6 scairfers on it, then take away the box. There's a name for that thing and I just can't think of it , even though I have one. I think I paid $150 for it from J Bar manufacturing in Trion Ga. It will tear the ground up.