Land Pride BB1266 anomaly

AndyD

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jul 2, 2024
Idaho
I got this box scraper new a few years ago. Have used it quite a bit for spreading gravel and "finishing" snow as I plow the driveway. I've never been that impressed with scraping down high spots when grading out flat areas in existing soil. I've never used a box scraper before this, so I just chalked it up to it being more of a material spreading implement, but it always bugged me the way the blades were configured because it seemed like the front blade could have been set up differently and made the implement so much better.

Recently, I got sick of the poor grading performance for the 20th time, so I looked in the manual again to reassure myself that there is no adjustment in the blades. I happened to find a diagram that showed the front and back blades having an equal (but opposite) angle, and an equal depth below the sides of the box. Image search of other BB1266s shows the same thing the manual diagram shows.

On my scraper, the front blade protrudes below the box sides by 1/8" at the most. So there is no top link setting that allows the front blade to dig into the ground like it should. The blade itself is not so worn away to have caused this. The bottom edge is not dinged up or "road sharpened" in any way, and the bolts appear pretty much centered in the blade. The other thing is that the angle of the front blade is way different than the back blade. I could see this helping with the different jobs of each blade, but the front blade would have to be set a lot lower. And again, the manual and image search shows the angles the same and both blades protruding well below the box sides.

I haven't taken the blades off yet to look close at everything, but I have looked at it from every angle, including below, and I don't see any damage to the box, like broken welds, which would indicate that I damaged the box at some point without realizing it. Am I crazy? Is this the way its supposed to be?

Attachments

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
IMG_5063.jpeg

I’m not a boxblade expert. I do know mine is set up with both blades at the same depth and angle. The depth of cut is limited by the side plates so if the blade is only 1/8” below the side plates you aren’t going to get much over 1/8” depth of cut on relatively level ground. I don’t think I’d be very pleased with that.

AndyD

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jul 2, 2024
Idaho
I'm mystified by this. The scraper 100% looks like it was designed to be this way. I can't imagine that a company like Land Pride is not laser cutting everything from the same template, so how could these odd angles and depth be a mistake? Yet everyone I look at is not like mine. Guess I gotta talk to the dealer.

Here's another pic from the bottom showing how different the front and rear angles are:

Attachments

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Be nice to see some pics from someone who has that exact model. Looking at that second pic, it looks like the whole back plate got set in the jig wrong and was welded to the side plates at the wrong angle. Unless there are some welds busted somewhere, not coming up with any scenario where use/abuse could result in what you have.

Whatever the reason it’s like that, it’s going to be pretty much worthless going forward and harder to control than it should be in reverse. Looks like it’s unusable in that condition.