L6060 Tractor and Post Driver?

kevshell

Jul 16, 2024
Montana
I've run a lot of orange machines over the years and I'm in process of buying a zero turn. But we have a bunch of projects planned for the 20 acres we have in Montana. One of which is fencing the entire 20 acres in with post and board horse fence. I'll be planting around 900 posts just to do the perimeter and perimeter around the house. Originally I was going to buy a smaller tractor in the LX series until I started looking at some of the capacities and have now arrived at the likelihood of a L6060 to end up with a big enough tractor with the lift capacity I'm looking for on the loader. That brings me to the next project which is the fencing. I've done a little searching and haven't found anything providing any detail for post drivers on these tractors. Funny enough the dealership has not yet provided much for guidance on this yet either. My question is whether anyone here has any experience they can share regarding putting a post driver on the three-point hitch or on the quick attach on the loader to drive 5 to 6 in wood posts? I believe the tractor has more than enough power but it may come down to a hydraulics issue. Not sure. Thanks in advance.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

It’s hilly where I live, but most certainly not mountains….we also have some glacial deposits and rocks. That being said anyone around us that drives and serious amount of posts, uses a skid loader or track loader…and that’s whether drilling or driving. Not sure if it’s the soil or amount of hydraulic flow needed, but even the fence companies use CTL/CWL. I’d look to see what your neighbors use.

as far as the L, that’s a nice machine. It’s be hard to go wrong with that IMO to take care of the place.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See this site for three point versions

there are versions for skid steer equipment but I don’t know if they will work on a tractor front end loader. They seem to need some weight and higher hydraulic flow.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
71555643270__5D9CA31E-FA66-40AB-A427-5BAB6317F1B5.jpeg

I don’t have one. My brother has one on a JD comparable size to a MX5400. Hydraulics raise the driver and springs bring it down. He’s driving in sandy soil and it performs very well (according to him) with 6x6’s. When he first got it I told him that was fine for his sand hills property but good luck with that in my clay. He said the mfg said it would do it but 🤷‍♂️. No sharpening, just a square end post. I know it’s made by Shaver because that’s what’s in the boom in the pic. I have no use for it so don’t know technical details.

If you need more info let me know and I’ll ask him about it, but it will be a few days. Hopefully someone who has one themselves will weigh in.