L6060 position lever probs

BigO 6060

Equipment
L5030/ L6060/ L6060CAB/ ZD331
Apr 24, 2017
SC
I have had an L6060 Cab for maybe a year now. Bought from a dealer in SC. The three point position lever is real sticky/ catching the last 25% of the lift range. Makes grading with touch practically impossible. This tractor also has a draft lever and additional remotes. I have been back and forth to the dealer too many times. Don't think they know what to do. I am a mechanic by trade, but an older one with health issues that have so far deterred me from yanking the back tire and digging into the hydraulics, levers, etc. I believe its solvable as I do all issues. Dealer assures they have went back over everything.
For reference I had an L5030 for many years. Also still have an L6060 w/o cab. I know how these levers should feel. I have also operated NH, Ford, Kioti, MF, etc Not to mention heavy equip operator Case, Cat, Komatsu, etc
Any similar issues with others? And if the dealer no longer cooperates what should be my next step?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have had an L6060 Cab for maybe a year now. Bought from a dealer in SC. The three point position lever is real sticky/ catching the last 25% of the lift range. Makes grading with touch practically impossible. This tractor also has a draft lever and additional remotes. I have been back and forth to the dealer too many times. Don't think they know what to do. I am a mechanic by trade, but an older one with health issues that have so far deterred me from yanking the back tire and digging into the hydraulics, levers, etc. I believe its solvable as I do all issues. Dealer assures they have went back over everything.
For reference I had an L5030 for many years. Also still have an L6060 w/o cab. I know how these levers should feel. I have also operated NH, Ford, Kioti, MF, etc Not to mention heavy equip operator Case, Cat, Komatsu, etc
Any similar issues with others? And if the dealer no longer cooperates what should be my next step?
The Kubota draft control system as used on the GL series is a Rube Goldberg mechanism. Dealers do not know (or care) how to properly adjust such systems to function properly, and improper installation and set-up is problematic.

You might try lubricating all pivot points in the system and, by all means make sure that the draft control lever is set to minimum.

Some (most?) such systems have been removed after complaints due to improper adjustment.

The good news: The draft control mechanism is entirely external, rendering removal rather easy but you will need the fixed top link mount to replace the pivoting mount should you decide to remove yours.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have an MX6000 and an M6060 and the 3-point control is way smoother on the L6060. Both have draft control. I removed the plastic protective sleeve from the MX 3-point control lever because it would bind (grab) in the slot, but I plan on crawling under the tractor to see if there's any place to grease or adjust the linkage to make it smoother. It's very annoying!!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have an MX6000 and an M6060 and the 3-point control is way smoother on the L6060. Both have draft control. I removed the plastic protective sleeve from the MX 3-point control lever because it would bind (grab) in the slot, but I plan on crawling under the tractor to see if there's any place to grease or adjust the linkage to make it smoother. It's very annoying!!
GL series draft control mechanism is completely different than that used on M or MX tractors.

BigO 6060

Equipment
Apr 24, 2017
SC
The Kubota draft control system as used on the GL series is a Rube Goldberg mechanism. Dealers do not know (or care) how to properly adjust such systems to function properly, and improper installation and set-up is problematic.

You might try lubricating all pivot points in the system and, by all means make sure that the draft control lever is set to minimum.

Some (most?) such systems have been removed after complaints due to improper adjustment.

The good news: The draft control mechanism is entirely external, rendering removal rather easy but you will need the fixed top link mount to replace the pivoting mount should you decide to remove yours.
Thanks STD!! I have suspected it was one of the ad on options (three remotes, top and tilt, draft control, etc.) Sounds like a legit possibility.
The dealer has contacted me and advised the regional service rep is coming to take a look at the issue. I only see three options (not all likely to happen);
1) Repair/ fix the issue leaving my tractor as is with the options added - 25%
2) Give me another tractor with same options working as they should - 5%
3) Remove some optional equipment (such as draft control) and giving me refund for removed equipment - 80%
Since #3 is most likely I feel it's lose lose. Having had Kubota's for over 20 years now I am disappointed that a quality brand I was very happy with has slipped some. My point is these tractors shouldn't go out to consumers with optional equipment that cannot function as it should. If they have engineering or manufacturing issues - fix it, work on it, inform dealers - so customers don't suffer and decide to switch brands. I looked at similar JD model but they wouldn't have one in stock for some time, so I went with what I knew and WAS confident in.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks STD!! I have suspected it was one of the ad on options (three remotes, top and tilt, draft control, etc.) Sounds like a legit possibility.
The dealer has contacted me and advised the regional service rep is coming to take a look at the issue. I only see three options (not all likely to happen);
3) Remove some optional equipment (such as draft control) and giving me refund for removed equipment - 80%
Since #3 is most likely I feel it's lose lose. Having had Kubota's for over 20 years now I am disappointed that a quality brand I was very happy with has slipped some. My point is these tractors shouldn't go out to consumers with optional equipment that cannot function as it should. If they have engineering or manufacturing issues - fix it, work on it, inform dealers - so customers don't suffer and decide to switch brands. I looked at similar JD model but they wouldn't have one in stock for some time, so I went with what I knew and WAS confident in.
I am not sure, but I don’t think the member is an STD (try SDT😉)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
#2 will NOT happen.

Draft control is a very uncommon on CUTs, even large CUTs. It is also an option that you neither need nor want unless you have AG tires and plan to plow or do some other heavy tillage.

Setting up the Rube Goldberg draft control mechanism properly is time consuming and few if any dealers take the time to do so.

I would have your dealer remove it and refund the money for the equipment and installation labor.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
L6060 hydraulic system is completely different than L5030. That's that. No comparison.

Kubota dealers aren't cat dealers. Nor are they Deere dealers (usually). Big name manufacturers don't like dealers being multi-line; little dealer I worked for was a prime example. We sold Deere from 1982 through 2004. In 1992 they picked up Kubota (I was assembling NEW B7100's....) In 03, Deere reps came in (like they did every month) and told the boss/owner that Deere wanted the dealer to carry Deere only, and that they would penalize the dealer for being multi-line. Dealer sold deere off and focused on Kubota which was a very good move as Deere went more mass market. Then in the mid 20-teens, Kubota pulled the same stuff. Trying to force the dealer to give up the Yamaha and Kawasaki stuff since it was a competitive brand (SxS's), and that the kubota dealer was to also carry construction and hay equipment. Boss (same boss from 1982 through 2018) said no. He was in his 70's and it was time, so he sold the dealer. I (we) stayed but I got out in 2020 as the new owners hired a GM that doesn't really work well with employees.

Anyway, most of your deere and now kubota dealer techs that were/are worth a flip, have left. There's a few good ones still hangin in there. Problem is cost. Stuff costs a LOT more than it did, and dealers are stuck in the 1990's when $20/hr was good money. $20/hr is peanuts now. Remember it costs us techs to drive to work, buy tools, lunch, dinner, breakfast, and it costs a LOT more than it used to. So if Kubota boss pays me $25/hr and it costs me $17/hr for basic necessities (food shelter water), then there's not much left for anything else, such as health insurance, car payments, and what have you. Thus, the old/good techs found work elsewhere that pays better, has better working conditions and/or better management, and has better benefits, and the new ones are still green. If you asked a green tech how to set up the draft control, chances are that he (or she) don't even know what draft control does, much less how to set it all up. For that matter a lot of seasoned techs don't even know. Frankly, I'm green with draft control and I had 29 years to learn it. The focus in my last few years was construction equipment and hay equipment. They pushed that stuff heavily. I had to go to school 4 times in 2020 to "learn" it--and it was grueling. I don't mind traveling but don't come to me the day before I gotta be there and say "oh by the way you have to be in Kansas City at 0700 tomorrow morning for a 6 day class" (I'm 500 miles from KC). There is a lot More money in hay and conttruction than Grand L series. Don't think so? Sales guys...had two of them, #1 focused on CUT's and mowers and powersports. #2 focused on construction and hay. #1 salesman was making $160,000 a year doing mowers and cut's. #2 was doing a quarter million+. Remembering they work on commission so the more money they get out of the equipment the more money they make (profit based). The focus on money hurts the entire lineup and it hurts the entire dealer but since money is what makes the dealer stay in business, that's what they kinda have to do. And remember stuff costs a lot more than it used to including for the dealer. And now lets add this too-social media has blown up in the last 10 years so now when one person has a bad experience (they didn't have a spark plug in stock, or whatever) they turn to social mediato blast the dealer and often the story gets dramatized, or turned a little bit to mean a little more to the customer than it originally did. Now the entire world can see that and it helps sway a few more customers than it used to when word of mouth while eating at the local diner was the only way people knew stuff.

what botered me was the fact that the sales guys, when a customer walked in and wanted to buy a push mower, they both turn up their noses because they knew the customer didn't want to spend $150,000 on equipment to cut hay or dig the dirt. So they just shunned the small sale customers. What they had forgotten was how the little homeowner who wants a $1500 pushmower had a great experience in, say, 2000--and decided that once he got a little money he was going to buy a farm/ranch. Then when that happened, he was starting to age and needed a bigger or better tractor, or one with a cab so the yellowjackets weren't tearing him up. Oh, and don't forget he also needed a SxS to get from the house to the barn or house to mailbox. He didn't forget that lowly pushmower sale. But the guy who walks in wanting a generator that brings about $10 to the sales guys, when the salesman just walks off when he realizes the customer ain't spending more than $1000, that customer ain't an idiot-they remember that too, and they also remember that when it comes time to buy a bigger tractor with a cab so that the yellowjackets can't sting through the cab glass....I did some limited sales and I saw it VERY often. Salespeople can get real greedy and real stuck up. That money will get to you. And sales vs service? If I had to go back to 1992 when I got into tractor repair, I'd have gotten more into sales since that's where the money is. In 2020 when I left my salary was $52,000. Same year, #2 sales guy was $257,000. I worked out in the heat 5 months out of the year, spend 4 weeks in training halfway across the country (and got zero commission pay for it...), working under equipment that weighs up to 15,000 lbs, and is covered in cow/horse poo and no telling what else. Or maybe an RTV that has needles and whatever else poking you as you're fumbling around trying to get a nut on the back of a bolt (has happened-I went to the doctor a few times afterwards because the owner of the equipment was diabetic and had STD). Cold for 2 1/2 months (below freezing quite a bit), have to do field work, no shade, 115 deg air temp, heat index of 130 or so, around customers that couldn't care less about ME (the tech), just that his tractor gets fixed, meanwhile Mr. Salesman sits in a cubicle at 72 degrees year round complaining because it's too hot outside to go greet a customer that doesn't want to spend a hundred grand on a skid-steer and complaining because he has to pay a lot of money in taxes. Must be nice.

so yes, until kubota and deere and mahindra and Kukje tractor manufacturers start to act more like CAT does, then hire (and pay) their guys similarly, the type of service that you get is not going to get 'that' much better.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
GL series draft control mechanism is completely different than that used on M or MX tractors.
What's that got to do with anything? The op mentioned the 3-point control being sticky, not the draft control. He mentions that he has draft control but doesn't mention a problem with that. I was just making the point that my 3-point lever in the MX is sticky and "jerky" and not smooth like the M6060.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
What's that got to do with anything? The op mentioned the 3-point control being sticky, not the draft control. He mentions that he has draft control but doesn't mention a problem with that. I was just making the point that my 3-point lever in the MX is sticky and "jerky" and not smooth like the M6060.
External draft control mechanism of L6060 connects to external position control mechanism and interacts with same.

If you view mechanism you will understand why/how draft control mechanism can make position control mechanism "sticky."

BigO 6060

Equipment
Apr 24, 2017
SC
A hydraulic top link gives me fine grading control running a blade with gauge wheels. Works much better than the 3PH controls.
I get your point but top and tilt kits do not lift and lower the implement height like the position lever.

BigO 6060

Equipment
Apr 24, 2017
SC
We have a get together at the dealership scheduled for 7/3 including the regional rep. I have confidence in what SDT's draft control idea. My gut says so. I intend to request then that draft be removed then see where we stand.
A little background... I do not "farm" mainly maintain property - grading, bush hogging, grappling, lifting, etc... However I do harrow. If you live in the Piedmont anywhere you know how difficult the soil can be to work. I took a stab that maybe draft could help a little with that, in addition to a little extra pressure grading roadbeds. I also considered this to be my "last" tractor since I am headed to my mid sixties with bad genes. So went for some bells and whistles. thanks for all the feedback.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
External draft control mechanism of L6060 connects to external position control mechanism and interacts with same.

If you view mechanism you will understand why/how draft control mechanism can make position control mechanism "sticky."
Thanks! (y)

In both of my tractors the draft control is a separate lever in the cab with an "off" position. I'll have to take a look at the MX and see what the relationship is between the 3-point control and draft control. The M6060 is nice and smooth but the MX not so much.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks! (y)

In both of my tractors the draft control is a separate lever in the cab with an "off" position. I'll have to take a look at the MX and see what the relationship is between the 3-point control and draft control. The M6060 is nice and smooth but the MX not so much.
I'm not familiar with the draft control system on the MX series and do not know if it is optional or standard equipment.

The draft control system on the M series is not top link sensing as is the optional, Rube Goldberg, system used on the GL series, but rather, is internal as is any such draft control system that I have seen on any of the many other tractors that I am familiar with. Being optional, the GL system is designed for relatively easy external installation.

The M series uses a lower link sensing system that is entirely internal, as is customary with nearly all tractors these days and has been so for decades.