L5740 Rattle HELP

Woodychevy38s

Equipment
L5030, L5740, L5460
Mar 6, 2022
Michigan
First off I am very familiar with Kubotas, Hydrostatic transmissions, and their "normal" noises. Unfortunately this is not one of them.

My L5740 has a rattle, bad bad rattle, like ball bearings being shook in an empty 1 gallon paint paint can.

When starting, push the clutch in, start the engine, engine fires up and purs. All through RPM range everything sounds great.

As soon as you let off the clutch pedal, does not matter if you do it slowly or fast, the rattle starts. Again this is a rattle that is loud enough in the cab that it almost hurts your ears. Now the rattle does change pace following the RPM. Low RPM, slower rattle, more RPM faster rattle.
Also put tractor in high drive up an fair incline and tractor would slow to a stop, RPM slight bog then jump right back up, hence my thought of clutch slipping.

This tractor was taken in to a local shop who originally diagnosed it with a clutch problem, (pressure plate, "fingers" throw out, just something in that area) it was torn apart by them, and I am told all components replaced in the clutch area.

They replaced all components without contacting me and quote from them, "even though the parts all looked good." They put it back together, again without contacting me, and it is still doing the same excact thing.

My question here is just for advice on the repairing of this tractor. Taking into consideration when the noise does and does not occur and what parts have been replaced/at least looked at, what is my next step in problem solving or part to test.

I will deal with the shop antics.
I will try to upload and tag a video with the audio, but it did not replay very good on cell phones.

In Cab, clutch pedal range:

Outside

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's really sounding like the clutch disk is failing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One question, does it move?
And does it move with power?
If it does then my next guess would be the HST input shaft.
Possibly bearings or could be gears.

1715028259971.png

Woodychevy38s

Equipment
L5030, L5740, L5460
Mar 6, 2022
Michigan
One question, does it move?
And does it move with power?
If it does then my next guess would be the HST input shaft.
Possibly bearings or could be gears.

View attachment 127748
Yes like I said above in my long winded post, it moves. The power to climb a hill is definitely lacking, to the point of no forward momentum in high range, unless you maxed the rpms to try and compensate. My l6060, l3440? (I sold this one pretty sure that was the size), l5030 would all make the same incline with no problems, no game plan needed to make the hill. To expand it moves in all three speeds, forward and back, and in both "turtle and rabbit" all gears forward and reverse.

Have you ever seen, heard, this same issue as the video?

So far anyone trying to help has just said "HST makes a lot of noise" I am hoping to find someone that can provide real world and help

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
What were you doing with the tractor when this noise appeared?

In the second video, is that hydraulic oil dripping?
Where is it coming from? Hi-Lo solenoid area?

When you actually drive the machine placing the clutch/gears et.al. under load, does the noise change?

Is the noise definitely coming from the clutch housing?
Is it possible that the noise during clutch engagement has anything to do with the PTO?

Is it possible that something inside the transmission is doing the rattling? Pump? gears?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll stick with my diagnosis that it has some issue with the input shaft on the HST.
I've never heard one make that exact noise, but it fits in with where I think the issue is and would explain the power loss too, as a bad bearing in there will cause a huge HST input power loss.

Reactions: 1 user

Woodychevy38s

Equipment
L5030, L5740, L5460
Mar 6, 2022
Michigan
What were you doing with the tractor when this noise appeared?

Unfortunately I do not know when it first appeared, thank you employees and waiting a week to say something.

In the second video, is that hydraulic oil dripping?
Where is it coming from? Hi-Lo solenoid area?

Yes Hydraulic oil, it looks like the fitting right there, but not 100%

When you actually drive the machine placing the clutch/gears et.al. under load, does the noise change?

Driving there is lack of power, other than pressing and releasing the clutch there is no change in noise, same in High/Med/Low.

Is the noise definitely coming from the clutch housing?
Is it possible that the noise during clutch engagement has anything to do with the PTO?

Since the shop told me everything is new and looks good in the clutch area, I believe it is coming from somewhere else. Since the noise I have not put any load on PTO.

Is it possible that something inside the transmission is doing the rattling? Pump? gears?

Yes possible, any help in ruling one or other out?

Woodychevy38s

Equipment
L5030, L5740, L5460
Mar 6, 2022
Michigan
I'll stick with my diagnosis that it has some issue with the input shaft on the HST.
I've never heard one make that exact noise, but it fits in with where I think the issue is and would explain the power loss too, as a bad bearing in there will cause a huge HST input power loss.
Do I even want to know how much that may run?
With the tractor split can this just be unbolted like it appears or do you have to go through the back- like would be my luck?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes split and go into it from the front.
I think it's fairly easy job to do.
5 bolts and it's off.

I do hope that's where your problem is, as anything after it gets pretty pricey!