L4802 vs MX5400

Sodbusterjr

Equipment
L 4310
Mar 13, 2024
Texas
Looking for input on replacing a 2WD L4310, open station, gear transmission.

Current tractor does most of what i need, just getting to be more maintenance on hydraulics. One tractor needs to mostly do everything from moving brush to burn piles, haul water tanks, grade a gravel road, periodic brush hog mowing, etc. I am retired so value of my time is not a big deal. I could come up with 100 questions but will try to keep that in check for now.

Possible replacement tractors:
L4802 and MX5400 have similar specs but MX5400 has quite a bit larger lift capacity. 4802 is not turbo charged. Pricing is within several thousand dollars.
I am looking at functional utility and durability of the tractor over my comfort as an operator. Not totally convinced I need 4WD as I do okay without it now and that is about $6k or more. Thinking that money better spent with a slightly heavier/heavy duty type tractor with beefier loader and hydraulic components. Leaning toward gear transmission, although HST appears to be nice.

Not sure if my thinking is correct but concern is that some loader work I do, and will continue to do in near term is toward upper limits of my current tractor. Perhaps the larger frame of the MX would be a better option, combined with stronger loader? Hydraulic leaks and steering mechanism seem to be the weak link on 4310, but it does have about 1200 hours. What about front axle differences on these two options? Does the turbo add significantly to the complexity/maintenance/life of the tractor?

Thanks in advance for input.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Buy an MX5400DT or MX6000HST and never look back or wonder if you bought enough tractor. Both have 4WD which is worth the price of admission in my book. I would lean towards the MX6000 with HST though. I'm on my second MX6000 and I'd buy the same tractor again, no doubt about it.

Turbos last forever these days. My F250 is approaching 200k miles and it's still running on the original turbo. I had two Audi Allroads both with well over 100k miles on them and no issues with any of the four turbos. Oh, I had a Subaru Forester with a turbo and also no issues. Letting the turbo cool down before turning off the engine is a good idea and it only takes a minute or two.

I have EGT probes pre and post turbo in my F250 so I wait until the pre turbo temp is 350F before I shut the engine off.

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have to second the recommendation and you really should get 4wd. Resale is tough for this size 2wd tractor. And 4wd is such an improvement for most uses. I think a MX5400 HST would be suitable for your uses and a MX6000 even nicer. Another thing about the MX series is that you can use heavier duty category 2 implements, but can also use cat 1 with adapter bushings.

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

+3 on the MX (I may be slightly biased😉).

Honestly, I don’t think there is a bad choice to make between the two models you are considering. I think it comes down to your uses. personally unless you have some space limitations, or one machine vs the other requires different implements, I don’t think you could go wrong with the MX. If an MX would force buying all new implements, that’s not bad (just not free), I mean yee haw!… maybe thats a consideration? Is there a reason not to go with wider track or more lift capability?

I’ve not put enough hours on to comment on long term maintenance, but short term has been the normal stuff / interval and no issues. Regens take care of themselves while I am using so that has not even been the boogieman that I read about before purchase. I hope I feel the same after long term use.

Happy shopping. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I like the MX. In either case get
HST
Loader with SSQA
3rd function
2 rear remotes
Edit: 4WD, std w/ HST I think

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Just a few more thoughts in favor of the MX. the larger front wheels, heavier weight and wider stance make for a very stable machine with a much better ride on rough ground.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
No real choice. If you're thinking about an L vs an MX, then you need the MX. It's bigger and better, and not much more money. I'd go the MX5400 (instead of MX6000) before I went to the L. Not that the L's a bad machine, the MX is just better.

Go 4wd and HST. Unless you're doing long stretches of dirt engaging work at constant speed, HST is better. Your uses seem more utility in nature, HST will be way better. Yes, it's all change from what you had. But there's a reason about 90% of tractors in this size category are HST and 4wd.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I have an L4701. I definitely would have preferred an MX540. I didn’t buy it because at the time although it was only a few thousand more, there wasn’t 0% financing on the MX but was on the L, and that pushed it to being several thousand more. I am happy with the L. Does everything I’ve asked it to so far. Still sorta wish I had an MX when I think about it.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I can't comment (intelligently) on the actual differences, but I would most likely choose the MX.

I can comment on "turbos in general". I have had 2 Cummins engines and a Volkswagen TDI. With a combined total of about 700,000 miles I have never had a turbo related problem.

Use a good quality oil, keep it changed regularly, and you will be good to go.

Aside: Rumor had it that the VW required the use of a "specialty oil" or damage to the turbo was eminent. I always bought the oil from the dealer because of this. I heeded the warning and never used any other oil besides the Castrol stuff the dealer sold.

I don't think Kubota has this "issue" though.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
@Sodbusterjr have you compared specs of your 4310 vs the two you're considering? Not sure if TractorData has the right info, but looks like the 4802 would be a very modest 'upgrade' -- slightly longer wheelbase, heavier, better lift.

I'm very happy with my L4701 (and use it for very similar tasks as you describe) but it sounds like you might be looking for a step up in capability which I think the MX5400 would be good for. The larger front wheels, greater lift capacity, and cat 2 implement capability being the biggest differences IMO.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I had a L4701 bought and the dealer sold it out from under me. I ended up buying a MX6000 at another dealer. I feel he did my a favor. I think having a little more tractor has been better for my usage. Go with the MX you will really like it. I am way north of two thousand hours on the MX6000 with no issues so far.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The MX is a lot more tractor, but obviously will cost more.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The MX is a lot more tractor, but obviously will cost more.
Absolutely, but I think the MX6000 is good value for money. You pay for a lot of functional, meaningful performance without paying for "frills". The only other tractor I'd consider in a non-M variety is the L6060. There are lots of good models from the BX to the L, but 60hp is where it starts for me.

Sodbusterjr

Equipment
L 4310
Mar 13, 2024
Texas
Appreciate all the suggestions and opinions offered. It helps to bounce ideas around!

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Easy pick- pass on the orphan model. And get the MX it’s way more tractor
I’m glad to see you’re still on the forum and able to remind us about the orphan tractor that has no living parents. I do agree about the MX.

• Haha

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I have been pleased with my MX5400hst. I always had geared tractors in the past and wish I had gone with the hst sooner.
Like a lot of folks who had always had gear tractors I couldn’t appreciate the convenience of hst until I used it.
It makes loader work much more pleasant. I’d also recommend 4wd.
I’m not sure but I think the gear model does not come with the sliding lift arm ends which is an also makes attaching implements a lot easier.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370: LA243 F.E.L.&CW, 60" MMM, chipper, flail, 3rd fn, 3pt T&T; Cyclone Rake
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
$6,000 is a lot of money, and four wheel drive requires more maintenance and therefore additional ongoing expense, but the traction compared to diff-lock alone seems about 3x more in my experience doing bucket work and traversing wet hills and soft ground.

I was in the woods last weekend and a fallen tree of 9" diameter was across my path. It was rotty so I didn't want to pull out the saw and cut a section out as dirty wood dulls chains quickly so I used the bucket to snap it in half and push each half out of the way before continuing on--quite impressive and 4WD made easy work of it, especially when pushing up hill.

Note I've a much smaller tractor with 320# of additional ballast weight in the rear so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, only food for thought. The tractor is also approaching the 400-hour "big maintenance" as the dealer called it and appreciate the expenses involved.

Last edited: