L47 TLB Skid Plate Options

RichardT

Equipment
L47
Jul 3, 2023
Sullivan County, NY
Hi. I'm new to the tractor world and just recently purchased an L47 TLB.

It was equipped with the TL1310 hydraulic front quick disconnect feature, which turns out to be a huge mistake for my application of running the tractor in woods with boulders...essentially like a skidder. The hydraulic brains for this add-on is bolted to the bottom of the tractor (now the lowest point), and comes with a tiny L-shaped skid plate to protect it from ferns and tall grass. I have less than 18 HRs on my tractor, and have already damaged it pretty good TWICE. Super frustrating as the base tractor undercarriage looks robust, and this factory or dealership-installed Kubota-branded accessory is janky at best.

Question to you folks....
1. Is there a good place to permanently relocate all the hydraulics of this accessory away from the undercarriage? See pics to help explain.
2. In hindsight, I never should have got this accessory. Seems simple enough to just get out of cab to turn 2 levers to change implements. Any harm with just removing it all?
3. Anyone have a skid plate fabbed up to help with this? Any suggestions? For my application, seems like 1/2" steel plate, simply bolted to frame should help a lot.

Look forward to anyone's input!

Thanks

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It looks like you have raised it up already which I think will help.

Here is a 1st draft of what popped into my head looking at your pics.

The black circle is that transverse tube in your 1st pic and the green is some sort of heavy duty/custom exhaust clamp.

The red would be steel plate (maybe 3/8 to 1/2?) and the front would bolt to that transvers bar in fore front of pic 1 (after you drilled a hole of course)

I am sure I am oversimplifying it; As I have never seen the underside of your model. So I am sure there would be some "customizing' to do

skid plate.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Looks like the L47 has more dangling bits than the M59. I'd fab a bolt on belly pan accross the frame rails with structural plate. Keep in mind you need to be able to pull the plate easily every 200-400 hrs

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I added a "custom cradle" for that transverse tube. (blue thingy) and added the transverse bar for clarity (gray thing)

Edit 2:
Most likely I would also add a "stiffening rib" or 2 that would run "fore and aft". (probably on the bottom of the plate to save room for the "brain")
skid plate.png
skid plate.png

Last edited:

RichardT

Equipment
L47
Jul 3, 2023
Sullivan County, NY
I added a "custom cradle" for that transverse tube. (blue thingy) and added the transverse bar for clarity (gray thing)

View attachment 115020
Thanks for the good suggestions Scissors. I like the idea of the large U bolt...I would flip it the other way/make red plate longer so you can easily get to the nuts for removal. BTW I didn't "already raise it" deliberately, that's in its current contorted/leaky state from this weekend's boulder strike.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I don't think Kubota ever intended the L47 to be driven on anything but pavement.
I ran a bush hog through the back of my property and just about ripped out some wires. Good thing I was careful :eek::eek:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Added skid plates on a chain and chainsaw carrier to help guard the hydraulics on my M59 for work in the woods.
IMG_1385.jpeg
IMG_1388.jpeg
IMG_1400.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

RichardT

Equipment
L47
Jul 3, 2023
Sullivan County, NY
Added skid plates on a chain and chainsaw carrier to help guard the hydraulics on my M59 for work in the woods.
View attachment 115078 View attachment 115079 View attachment 115080
Thanks for the idea Smokey. This looks perfect to protect all the hydraulics at this location. My stock thin sheet metal has already been beat up bad in this area.

Seems like I just need to bite the bullet and add a bunch of steel, as its not like I'm not going to go in the woods.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Thanks for the idea Smokey. This looks perfect to protect all the hydraulics at this location. My stock thin sheet metal has already been beat up bad in this area.

Seems like I just need to bite the bullet and add a bunch of steel, as its not like I'm not going to go in the woods.
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1407.jpeg

Know what you mean.

Protection and let’s me carry tools safely for different jobs.

Three 3/4” lower bolts clamps to the heavy loader upright. Nuts are welded to back hydraulic line protection plate. Makes it easy to remove and replace if access is needed.

Carrying saw and chains frequently needed on our hillside farm. Hooks to hang buckets of tools for plumbing, fencing, etc valuable. One of the most handy attachments.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I know this is an old thread. I'm curious if anyone built the Scissors design plate?
I keep putting it off but eventually I'm going to destroy something no matter how careful I am.

RichardT

Equipment
L47
Jul 3, 2023
Sullivan County, NY
I know this is an old thread. I'm curious if anyone built the Scissors design plate?
I keep putting it off but eventually I'm going to destroy something no matter how careful I am.
Pic of the skid plate I had fabbed up and painted. Not nearly as fancy as Scissors.

Just need the time to start drilling holes to match factory hole locations, then suck it up. I'm getting close to my 50 hr service, so waiting until after that. Background in photo gives an idea of my terrain. I'm always scraping paint. Good luck!

Attachments

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Pic of the skid plate I had fabbed up and painted. Not nearly as fancy as Scissors.

Just need the time to start drilling holes to match factory hole locations, then suck it up. I'm getting close to my 50 hr service, so waiting until after that. Background in photo gives an idea of my terrain. I'm always scraping paint. Good luck!

Thank you for the pix. I need to get under there and see how much coverage I'll need.
I can still crawl under the tractor it just takes me ten minutes to get back up.:oops:
In my case dragging bottom on big rocks hasn't been an issue.
Recently I noticed a dry stick about 3/4 in x 18 in long jammed up under the tractor. I ran over a branch at some point. It stuck into some wiring and could have easily ripped them out.
I can't believe Kubota would build a bush hog capable tractor ( they recommend one) that you couldn't use for cutting light brush, without the danger of damage. BTW I wasn't bush hogging at the time I just ran over some small fallen branches.
The front guard extension looks like a good idea too.
I guess it's time to get under there and do a little redesign or stick to paved roads.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for your design ideas.