L4150 Install electric tach?

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
My tachometer has not worked for a looong time so I finally broke down and bought a new cable. After installation, the tach basically pegs when the engine is running. I have no idea why that would be but decided to install an electric tach. My question is, has anyone done this and been able to signal off the alternator?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
My question is, has anyone done this and been able to signal off the alternator?

I have not done it myself, but I have read of a ton of people who have done so.

There is a company called "TinyTach" that makes one for diesels which fires off of the fuel lines.

Look up Steelsoldiers.com and you'll find it's a much discussed subject for adding a tach to military vehicles which don't have one. Particularly the CUCVs. Check the main CUCV forum and the Hot Rod and Modifications forum.

That said, if it were me, I'd figure out the stock tach problem and get it working again.

nlefmann

Equipment
L4150D
Jul 30, 2017
Aromas, Ca, USA
Thanks Mark_BXD25. I would love to get all the original gauges on the dash working but it doesn't seem realistic. Since the tach is mechanical, it has to be the head unit. I can't find on on the web.

Both the fuel and temp gauges don't work properly and I've run the diagnostics in the repair manual - they both show defective readings. Again I can't find them anywhere. I wonder if anyone has tried changing the resistor on these gauges when they are out of spec?

I've attached pics of the new gauges and rear panel gauge wiring. Note I took the advice on this forum and added the voltmeter. Also, I fixed all my orig. gauge needles using toothpicks. Just drilled small holes and superglued - then painted them.
L4150 Gauges.jpg
L4150 Gauge wiring.jpg

Reactions: 1 user