L3901H won't start

TML4Life

Equipment
2016 Kubota L3901H
Oct 10, 2024
South Carolina
Hi all, new here but have been going through all the posts. I'm stuck as to why my tractor isn't starting. I have a new battery and it seems like it wants to but won't grab.

I'm uploading videos to YouTube and will share the links shortly.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hi all, new here but have been going through all the posts. I'm stuck as to why my tractor isn't starting. I have a new battery and it seems like it wants to but won't grab.
Need a lot more information.

Is this a L3901HST - - there's no L3901H?

It cranks, but does not fire?

Any smoke from the exhaust? Color of smoke?

What is the service history?

PS - - Just saw your video.

Check the cable connections of the battery to the tractor. Both ends of the both the positive and negative side.

Cables themselves could be corroded internally but start with the connections.

Guessing you replaced battery due to the no start problem, it may actually be the cables. Good place to start.

If the battery is brand new, it may not be fully charged.

Last edited:

TML4Life

Equipment
2016 Kubota L3901H
Oct 10, 2024
South Carolina
Need a lot more information.

Is this a L3901HST - - there's no L3901H?

It cranks, but does not fire?

Any smoke from the exhaust? Color of smoke?

What is the service history?

PS - - Just saw your video.

Check the cable connections of the battery to the tractor. Both ends of the both the positive and negative side.

Guessing you replaced battery due to the no start problem, it may actually be the cables. Good place to start.

If the battery is brand new, it may not be fully charged.

TML4Life

Equipment
2016 Kubota L3901H
Oct 10, 2024
South Carolina
Right it's an L3901HST.
No smoke at all.
It's been serviced regularly but due for the 400hr service soon.

Yeah I started with the battery. Working perfectly. Parked it. Tried to start two days later dead, just clicking sound.

Tried charging the battery but it was old so in bought a new just in case.

When I'm looking at the wires, what am I checking for? Damage?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
dealer gets you the properly size cables....
they 'go' once water hits the ends and the cable begins to corrode as water 'wicks' it's way up the strands of copper. one 'telltale' is ANY greenish colour at the crimped ends. Another is the 'rrr-rrr-click' even with a brand new battery and/or jumping from a running truck. The cables can't pass the high CURRENT needed to spin the starter even though a meter says '12 volts'.

You could try removing the cables, cleaning them real good, reinstall and see what happens.
Another option, if possible, is to use jumper cables. red one from +12 battery post to starter +12 post, blk from battery -ve to frame(ground).

TML4Life

Equipment
2016 Kubota L3901H
Oct 10, 2024
South Carolina
dealer gets you the properly size cables....
they 'go' once water hits the ends and the cable begins to corrode as water 'wicks' it's way up the strands of copper. one 'telltale' is ANY greenish colour at the crimped ends. Another is the 'rrr-rrr-click' even with a brand new battery and/or jumping from a running truck. The cables can't pass the high CURRENT needed to spin the starter even though a meter says '12 volts'.

You could try removing the cables, cleaning them real good, reinstall and see what happens.
Another option, if possible, is to use jumper cables. red one from +12 battery post to starter +12 post, blk from battery -ve to frame(ground).
Amazing. Thanks for the advice.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
I think battery cable replacement is suggested too often.
Proper testing rather than throwing parts at it a better repair path.
OP's could own and learn to use diagnostic tools(DVOM for instance)for voltage-drop tests,etc.
Better money spent!
Good Luck to OP!