L3800HST First service

WS6Man

Equipment
L3800
Feb 11, 2013
Norwalk, OH, Erie
I am approaching the 50 hr mark and want to round up all the fluids and filters so I get it done when the time comes. I purchased my tractor from out of state and the nearest dealer is 40 min away. Does anyone have a suggestion for making an online order and about how much should this cost.

Thanks

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I am approaching the 50 hr mark and want to round up all the fluids and filters so I get it done when the time comes. I purchased my tractor from out of state and the nearest dealer is 40 min away. Does anyone have a suggestion for making an online order and about how much should this cost.

Thanks
WS6Man:

Sounds about right to me. I bought my stuff from the dealer. Be sure to check the rings on your filters. There is a magnetic ring on one of them. Don't double them up. I didn't, just a precautionary note to you.

Pick up some anti-freeze also, just to clean out your radiator and be ready for Winter.

One more thing! I marked all of my torque fittings, everywhere with the MM size (millimeter) size on them. Any thing that required looking at or adjusting, I marked with a large black marker, the MM size. Most are 19mm. I even put the PSI on the tire rims using black marker. That way, you don't have to look in a manual or search for information or wait for a response on the OTT.

Another thing I did was to mark on each side of the loader how many fittings there are to grease and then I put a piece of blue tape on each column to remind me of the next time I needed to grease them. There are 6 fittings on each side of my loader. That info is marked in plain sight. A piece of blue scotch tape stays on the left column to remind me of the next hourly greasing time. This is like the little stickers put on your car windshield to remind you of oil changes or tire rotations. It pays off big time.

Put information where you will use it and then you can use it when you need it.

This might seem dumb to a lot of folks, but I find it very useful to have it right up front.

Burt

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I am in the exact same boat, same tractor too. Keeping an eye on this thread.

I've cross referenced all the filters but 1 on FleetFilter with Wix or Baldwin filters and plan to order them from there. I am going to run RotellaT oil and get the Hyd fluid from Messicks. Unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't.

WS6Man

Equipment
L3800
Feb 11, 2013
Norwalk, OH, Erie
Great suggestion Burt!

#9, I have a wix dealer down the raod from me so if you could forward the numbers you cross referenced, it would be greatly appreciated.

I will be switching the oil over to amsoil but will stay with the kubota fluid in the transmission.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I will be switching the oil over to amsoil but will stay with the kubota fluid in the transmission.
The Amsoil tractor trans/hyd fluid is a great upgrade. It will lower your operating temp in the summer, have smoother function in the winter and is rated for up to 3x the service life of the factory fluid. I'm not trying to start another oil war but IMHO you won't find another fluid that will work as smooth or protect your tractor better than Amsoil.

My Kubotas love it. :cool:

WS6Man

Equipment
L3800
Feb 11, 2013
Norwalk, OH, Erie
I am very interested in using the amsoil hydro fluid but this is the one service area I am most concerned about using another other fluid than what the factory reccomends. Are there any L3200/L3800 owners that have shitched to amsoil, and how many hours have you run it. I have used amsoil engine oil and gear lubes for over 15 years now with great results. In that time, I will admit that I have never used the automatic/hydro fluids because I worried about the reduced friction causing slippage and being counter productive. My head keeps telling me that I have nothing to worry about but my gut keeps spooking me away from using it. :confused:

I just need to get over that hump :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I fully understand not wanting to risk the life of your tractor and when I first starting using Amsoil I tested it in everything before making the full change over. The Universal Tractor Trans/Hyd fluid works perfect in a wet clutch system. It works great in the wet brake systems and overall you're going to get a performance and protection level that far exceeds the SUDT 2 or anything else that I have seen to date.

My L3000 has 1200 + hrs on the tractor and the current Amsoil trans/hyd has over 800 hrs and it is still has about the same color and smell as new fluid. Don't have quite that many hrs on my M9000 but the same results with the oil. If you have already been using Amsoil products for 15 yrs then you know all about their high quality and high performance. From my experience you won't regret changing the trans fluid over. It will be the smoothest your tractor has ever operated in hot or cold weather.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Great suggestion Burt!

#9, I have a wix dealer down the raod from me so if you could forward the numbers you cross referenced, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kubota L3800 HST

Air Inner (option) TA040-93220
WIX 42985
Baldwin RS3705

Air Outer TA040-93230
WIX 46438
Baldwin RS3704

Fuel 6A320-59930
WIX 33830

HST Hyd Oil HHK70-14070
WIX 51307
Baldwin B163

Inlet Hyd Cartridge,Oil HH3A0-82623

Engine Filter(Cartridge, OIL) HH164-32430
Baldwin B7152

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I just did my 50 hr maintenance on my L4240. I used all Kubota filters, purchased from my dealer. (Since learned Messick's and Colemans are cheaper, even with shipping.) I used Shell Rotella T6 for the engine oil.

I sealed the small hydraulic vent at the rear of the tractor with plastic and a rubber band. This reduced hydraulic fluid loss a bit. I think I lost about a pint per filter. I placed a five gallon Home Depot plastic can to catch the lost fluid. It looked messy enough that I didn’t consider reusing it.

Removing the hydraulic filter on the left side of the traffic was a job. I almost ruined one oil filter tool and finally had to use a hammer and drift to loosen the filter. About five wacks with drift and hammer and the filter responded well to the wrench. The other filter came off easily. After seeing some real horror stories regarding metal pieces adhering to the magnet on the one filter, I was surprised to find only a few small metal pieces. Maybe Kubota has been cleaning their tractors better prior to assembly.

After changing engine oil and engine and hydraulic filters, I greased all the fittings, and checked clutch adjustment (it was fine) and various bolt torque settings. The entire process took about an hour and a half. It will go faster next time.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I did not change the hydraulic fluid. There is mixed advice on this. Some people recommend changing, the factory says don't change yet. I looked at the quality of the fluid I drained. It was indistinguishable (by eye) from new fluid. I therefore opted to just change filters. When I get to my next service, I plan to replace the fluid, with a full synthetic - maybe SuperSUDT2 or maybe something else.

PMH

(The fluid that dripped into the can that I said looked bad had picked up some dirt. Separate fluid that I collected for examination looked pristine.)

Last edited:

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I think I am going to order my filters and fluids today and plan to change all the fluids and filters. May even change the coolant, haven't decided on that yet. I just want peace of mind that all the initial break-in shavings and junk are not flowing around inside for 200hr.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I think I am going to order my filters and fluids today and plan to change all the fluids and filters. May even change the coolant, haven't decided on that yet. I just want peace of mind that all the initial break-in shavings and junk are not flowing around inside for 200hr.

The filters take care of that very well. :cool:

GeauxLSU

Equipment
Kubota L3800HST
Jul 3, 2013
Summerville, SC
Hello All,

First day on OTT and I'm finding a lot of useful info. I am also at that 50 hour mark and am ready to change everything out. I spoke with the dealer out of curiosity as to what they charge to do the 50 hour service and was shocked that they wanted $600 to do it. They could provide the materials for $350 and I could do it myself. They stressed that I should use only Kubota Hydr and Engine Oil, filters, etc...I find it hard to believe that only Kubota Oils will work in my tractor.

I did find that Fram makes an oil filter (PH7328) that crosses over but I couldn't find any others. Has anyone used the Fram filter? Any issues? I plan to use Rotella 15W-40 in place of Kubota oil. I've seen alot of mixed opinions on it. Either way, I figure I could definitely change the oil for less that what Kubota labeled items cost.

Has anyone found replacement filters other than Kubota filters? What brand hyd fluid did you use?

The closest dealer for me is a 3 hour round trip so I'd like to avoid taking that trip each time I reach a service milestone.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Hello All,

First day on OTT and I'm finding a lot of useful info. I am also at that 50 hour mark and am ready to change everything out. I spoke with the dealer out of curiosity as to what they charge to do the 50 hour service and was shocked that they wanted $600 to do it. They could provide the materials for $350 and I could do it myself. They stressed that I should use only Kubota Hydr and Engine Oil, filters, etc...I find it hard to believe that only Kubota Oils will work in my tractor.

I did find that Fram makes an oil filter (PH7328) that crosses over but I couldn't find any others. Has anyone used the Fram filter? Any issues? I plan to use Rotella 15W-40 in place of Kubota oil. I've seen alot of mixed opinions on it. Either way, I figure I could definitely change the oil for less that what Kubota labeled items cost.

Has anyone found replacement filters other than Kubota filters? What brand hyd fluid did you use?

The closest dealer for me is a 3 hour round trip so I'd like to avoid taking that trip each time I reach a service milestone.
Fram filters SUCK.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Kubota L3800 HST

Air Inner (option) TA040-93220
WIX 42985
Baldwin RS3705

Air Outer TA040-93230
WIX 46438
Baldwin RS3704

Fuel 6A320-59930
WIX 33830

HST Hyd Oil HHK70-14070
WIX 51307
Baldwin B163

Inlet Hyd Cartridge,Oil HH3A0-82623

Engine Filter(Cartridge, OIL) HH164-32430
Baldwin B7152

Just to follow up on this..... I priced out a few filters between Kubota filters at Messicks and Wix filters from Fleetfilter and they were only a buck or two different, if at all. I went ahead and placed my order with Messicks for all the Kubota filters and 7.5gal of Super UDT-2 (ouch).

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I did not change the hydraulic fluid. There is mixed advice on this. Some people recommend changing, the factory says don't change yet. I looked at the quality of the fluid I drained. It was indistinguishable (by eye) from new fluid. I therefore opted to just change filters. When I get to my next service, I plan to replace the fluid, with a full synthetic - maybe SuperSUDT2 or maybe something else.

PMH

(The fluid that dripped into the can that I said looked bad had picked up some dirt. Separate fluid that I collected for examination looked pristine.)
I have had the pleasure of 4 new Kubotas. A B7500, L3000 and 2 M9000's and IMHO the 50 hr service was the most important of the tractors life. What little fluid comes out around the filters isn't where the nasty stuff is at. The lower drain plugs is where all the metal settles at when the tractor is sitting still. I did a full service at 50 hrs on all mine and was happy to get the nasty fluid out. After doing the second change on my L3000 and M9000 I would be more likely to skip the second change instead of the first. At 50 the fluid looks like metal flake paint and at 400 (being changed at 50) it looks like new fluid.

Don't take my word for it. Take a lower drain plug out and see for yourself. The easiest to do would be one of the plugs on the front axle hubs if you have 4wd. If you don't look for yourself then you will never know.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As I posted earlier, just did engine oil on BX2360 at 22 hours. HST will get all dumped at 50 or less.

I will use Rotella 15-40 for now, and may switch to synthetic for the engine in the future. Don't want to switch to synthetic too quick. Will stick with SUT2 for the HST, and all Kubota filters. I compared Fram and Kubota filters last week side-by-side - no doubt go with a Kubota filter.

That first service is BIG in my opinion. Don't want to skimp, and that seems the best advice from a lot of the guys here.