L3800 HST PTO Won't Engage While Implement Spinning

Caseyd292

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Mar 20, 2024
Bastrop County
Good evening everyone,

I just had a recent issue pop up with my Kubota L3800 HST and can't find any posts regarding the same problem. My tractor's PTO engages no problem when I start up my brush hog. However, after I disengage the PTO (to put rocks or debris in the bucket) I'm not able to re-engage it while the blades are spinning. I push the clutch down and slowly push the PTO engagement lever only to be met by a loud gear popping noise, I quickly eased off and did not try to force anything.

I always use the clutch when engaging/disengaging the PTO and ease off the clutch during engagement. Any ideas what this issue could be? The tractor's over a decade old but only has three hundred hours, I've never had this problem in the year I've owned it.

Thanks,
Casey

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I am sure others will jump in, I have the same tractor as yours they have a overrunning clutch in the rear to prevent damage to the pto from implements like bush hogs which have a fly wheel effect and have to coast to a stop. I would recommend lowering the mower to the ground until the blades have resistance and stop (this is what I do) then engage again. There are small cams that drive the pto shaft and also allow a ratcheting operation for free wheeling these are probably what are creating the popping sound. I have never tried to engage it except from complete stop. Hope this makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users

Caseyd292

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Mar 20, 2024
Bastrop County
Thanks Sammy, that makes perfect sense and is a logical solution. I'll let the dirt stop it because those heavy blades take forever to stop on their own!