L3800 - Canopy or not?

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Figuring up all the potential options for my new rig...just wanted to get opinions on canopy's. Good - bad ..... pros's - cons?

Personally, I like the looks of it...not necessarily an option I have to have by any means, but would be nice to keep the sun off while mowing.

longleaf1

Equipment
M5140
May 2, 2012
Statesboro, Ga
I purchased a new Kubota last year and it was my first tractor. I decided to get a canopy with mine even though I have a lot of overhanging tree limbs where I will be using it. Every time I get on the tractor I think of what a great choice I made. It is so nice sitting in the shade on hot summer days feeling nothing but the breeze. It may also keep you a little dry in a shower. I also got the work lights on the top of mine that will light up the world. I usually don't even use the headlights in dark because the work lights on the canopy light up such a bigger area.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Figuring up all the potential options for my new rig...just wanted to get opinions on canopy's. Good - bad ..... pros's - cons?

Personally, I like the looks of it...not necessarily an option I have to have by any means, but would be nice to keep the sun off while mowing.

Depends on how often you will be around trees with branches. If I had one, it would have probably been destroyed 50x over by now. Went with the TSC Umbrella for $90. It's been knocked around quite a bit, but still works 100%

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have one on my B2920 that I bought this winter and love it. It is great in the summer sun. As long as you a careful around branches, it is ok. Besides, a chainsaw can fix that problem.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I plan on using my tractor for bucketing snow this winter. SO I'd like a full cab to keep the snow out. But looking at the prices of a windshield/hard top/with soft doors is $3k plus. I've been welding/fabricating for many years. So I'm thinking 1" square aluminum tube and some 1/4" thick aluminum flat bar to bend and make the curve of the fender for the door frame. Make the frame out of the 1" tube. The top canopy aluminum sheet. Windshield and door/windows plexi-glass. I'm guessing $500. in materials and maybe 10-16 hours labor to make it. Or I could make something in the three days for $3k and just buy it.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
At times, I've thought, man a canopy would be really nice right now. Then others when I'm in the woods and think it wouldn't work. Also, I have to fold the ROP's
down to get it in the garage, which is where it sit most of the time.

There have been a number of good responses. Let us know what you decide and post some pics.

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
skin cancer treatment is probably more than the cost of the canopy.
I love mine, especially on the hot / rainy days where I need to be out bush hogging.

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
One more question.... if I get a canopy, is the Kubota factory the best route to go? Dealer said its pretty nice, and price was $400. To me, that doesn't seem too bad.

Thanks

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
If I didn't need to work in the woods an didn't have to fold mine down I would have one.

As far as skin cancer, Ive made it a habit to lather up with sunscreen when I know I'm going to be out in it. A friend if mine passed away, within the last year, from what started out as skin cancer, it certainly changed my out look.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
I have a bigger tractor the m7040 . I bought it without one because I knew I mite have to fold the rops . And sure enought it liked a few inches fit'n a hay barn I rent . And I figured I would beat it off never having one . My plan when I get time is to build a lightweight one that will pin with two pins to the rops . That way I can remove real fast and easy . But there's nothing I can't make so it will be no problem for me . Plus I can make it way cheaper than the $500 factory one . Like under $100 most likey under $50 .

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I have a bigger tractor the m7040 . I bought it without one because I knew I mite have to fold the rops . And sure enought it liked a few inches fit'n a hay barn I rent . And I figured I would beat it off never having one . My plan when I get time is to build a lightweight one that will pin with two pins to the rops . That way I can remove real fast and easy . But there's nothing I can't make so it will be no problem for me . Plus I can make it way cheaper than the $500 factory one . Like under $100 most likey under $50 .
I'm listening! :D

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I was thinking of using 1 1/2" square tubing for the frame with maybe 1"x2" as supports and then a used car engine hood from a pick-a-part wrecking yard.

Anyone ever used an engine hood as a tractor canopy?