L3710 GST 4x4 not engaging?

unioncreek

Equipment
Kubota L3710 GST
Nov 1, 2023
WA
I have a L3710 GST that the 4x4 is not engaging on. It could have been like that for a couple of weeks. I’ve had my backhoe on for that amount of time and didn’t notice if it was working or not. I put my brush hog on today and mowed my level ground and when I came to the steep part of my property I noticed the rear wheels would just spin. The lever feels the same as it always did, you can feel when the lever hits the detects. I check if the lever was loose on the shaft and it’s not.

Any advise on why I should check next?

Bob

unioncreek

Equipment
Kubota L3710 GST
Nov 1, 2023
WA
I found a couple of postings about the roll pin on the front of the front drive shaft

my roll pin was sheared, Is that something I can get at the local tractor dealer? Does the pin go between the ends of both shafts? Couldn’t see a hole in the shaft. Is the back of the shaft put together the same way!

Thanks
Bob

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I found a couple of postings about the roll pin on the front of the front drive shaft

my roll pin was sheared, Is that something I can get at the local tractor dealer? Does the pin go between the ends of both shafts? Couldn’t see a hole in the shaft. Is the back of the shaft put together the same way!

Thanks
Bob

Yes the roll pin goes through the coupling and between the shafts.
If the local dealer doesn't have it any good hardware store should.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
seen a few couplings get "rounded out" (splines rusted/worn off. Check the lever linkages to be sure, if they're ok remove the propeller shaft cover (just slide it back a little) and lift the front axle so the wheels are no longer touching the ground. Reach up with your foot and turn the front wheel with the 4x4 engaged (engine OFF and park brake set) and watch the shaft coupling. If there is any damage pull the shaft out and inspect the front axle pinion splines for damage. Usually it's just the coupling but I've seen one or two pinions get damaged too.