L35 tractor won't start after changing the fuel filter.

Dead Ash

Equipment
L 35 T/L/B
Jul 15, 2023
Ohio
Hello all. Two days ago I was gong to change the fuel filter because it appeared dirty. Luckily it was only the clear plastic bowl that appeared discolored, so I cleaned the bowl and reassembled. Not much of anything floating in the bowl. Since this was only my second time doing this I had the instruction sheet next to me and followed step by step. The last step from the operators manual stated to bleed the fuel system and gave the page number.

I followed those air bleeding steps.

I had been using the tractor for 3-4 days prior and after stopping for the day I was doing this service. Tractor had been operating fine.

All I did was remove the bowl, clean and then reassemble the bowl. Restart the engine which it started as normal and per the instructions while running open the air bleeder screw for approximately 30 seconds and then close. I did and just as I was about to close the bleeder screw the engine stalled and now will not start.

The battery is fully charged, the bowl is full of fuel and the engine cranks good but may only cough once as if it wants to start but it doesn't.

My question is, if the bleeder screw is to remove air from the fuel system, can it also let too much air in and if it is supposed to be the way to remove air how am I supposed to remove the air if this does not work.

Thanks,
DA

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
First off I'd highly recommend changing the filter. Just because it looks clean doesn't mean it's good. There many tiny particles, organisms, fungus, etc that will clog up a fuel filter and still look clean.

Which bleeder screw did you open? You'd have 1 at the filter, and 1 at the injection pump. Normally you can shut fuel off and open the fuel bowl change filter and the reassemble and then open the bleeder at the filter and let it fill up and your good. But sometimes that doesn't work and air gets in the rest of the system. If air gets up past the injection pump then your injectors won't pressurize and therfore won't run. Once that happens you'll need to bleed at the injection pump then Crack each line open at the injector to release the air. Keep in mind you don't want injectors lines cracked open unless engine is turning over or it will introduce more air in the lines.

Reactions: 1 user

Dead Ash

Equipment
L 35 T/L/B
Jul 15, 2023
Ohio
Mountainman, Thanks for the quick response.

Ok I closed what I referred to as the fuel shutoff at the filter, (according to the manual this is the fuel cock) then when completed I reopened it and then I started and ran tractor and opened the air vent cock at the fuel injection pump (which I referred to as the bleeder screw). I am not seeing a bleeder at the filter in my diagram, unless I am confusing terminology. But I can say that after reassembling everything as soon as I reopen the fuel cock at the filter, the bowl just automatically refills.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The stop cable has not been pulled right?
The stop solenoid is not activating while cranking is it?

1714692546149.png

Remove this line, do you have good fuel flow?
If you do move on.
If not you have an issue with the filter housing, valve or fuel feeding it.
1714692231370.png

If you do put that line back on and then pull this line and with the jet start valve (bleeder) open , and with it cranking it do you get good pulsed fuel coming out?

If you do close the valve and move on.
If you don't you have an issue with the lift pump or lines from filter to injection pump.

1714692358934.png

If you have fuel to the injection pump, and it won't fire you probably have air trapped in the injector lines, crack open these lines at the injectors, set throttle to high, crank (in short intervals as to not over heat the starter) and bleed the lines till you get clean fuel with no air.
Tighten lines and it should fire.

1714692779745.png

Reactions: 1 user

Dead Ash

Equipment
L 35 T/L/B
Jul 15, 2023
Ohio
Mountainman... no problem thanks for addressing my problem.

N I Wolfman...Thank you for the response this is exactly what I was hoping for. Step by step hand holding in a methodical order and pictures to show what is being explained.
Thank you.
I will attempt this tomorrow

The other day after numerous attempts at cranking the starter I checked the stop cable and it moves freely and is not stuck out.
I even sat on the seat, just in case a sensor that has not been activating up until now may have all of a sudden started to work, as I can start the tractor just standing next to it as long as it is in neutral and the PTO is not activated.

I checked the fuse panel by the clutch and there are no blown fuses.
I have 1/4 tank of fuel and is angled forward slightly but level enough.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
have done more than one of those old L series where I had to bleed the lift pump. Don't know why, but if I removed the outlet line and cranked the engine til fuel came out, then reinstalled, it'd fire right up. Lots of times actually.

Dead Ash

Equipment
L 35 T/L/B
Jul 15, 2023
Ohio
OK, I finally was able to get out and check the tractor.

Thanks Mountainman and Lugbolt for your suggestions.

Thanks Wolfman for letting me know which direction the lines travelled from the fuel tank to the injectors. That was what I needed to know because I removed every hose connection beginning from the filter housing to the jet start cock (bleeder screw at the injection pump) and had fuel flow out of every one. I then attempted to start it and luckily it fired right up.

I can't say which one did the trick as I only tried to fire it up at the end but I let it run for approx. 10 minutes while I picked up my tools and wiped all the fuel off of me, and it ran smooth.

I ended up having to do all of this on my knees with the loader arms and other stuff partially obstructing my view but was able to get it done in only about 1 1/2 hours. Luckily it didn't take to long because my wife volunteered to come outside and assist so I was completed before hearing "can I go inside now this is boring". Haha.

She didn't get much of a lesson on how to fix tractors, but she did get a lesson in contradiction. Statements of "dear God please help, please God let this work, Thank you God, followed by bouts of vulgarity, followed by more dear God please help, thank you God and so on. Haha

Thanks again for the help proving "You da man"

DA

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users