L275 crankshaft PTO splines

akghound

Equipment
L275 Kubota Tractor
Dec 29, 2011
Montana City, Montana
Greeting forum members. I am a new guy here, happy to have found this forum.
I have an old L275 with bad splines on the crankshaft PTO. I use it to power a generator and things are about to fail. How do you guys attach to the front of the crankshaft after the splines and flex shaft fail.
I posted about this problem on the My Tractor forum but think I should have posted here instead. Actually I was sent here by a member on that site.
Link to other post with some pictures:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=220230
Ken Gardner

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Stripped the splines on the shaft? That must of taken some force. Is the flex shaft broken?

I'm actually surprised you have a shaft that fits on the front crank. They seem to be hard to find. Anyway let me point you to a reply I received from 300zx here while asking about snow blowers. He had a flange made that bolts to the three holes on the front crank pulley because he was unable to find any sort of shaft that fits those splines. I'm sure he can tell you more.

akghound

Equipment
L275 Kubota Tractor
Dec 29, 2011
Montana City, Montana
Checked out the link. Thanks, never thought about an electric clutch.
The splines are not stripped but simply worn out. Both on the engine and the coulper that fits onto the engine. The flex shaft is distroyed. I salvaged the engine end coupler, reversed it so the best splines of the coulping mated with the best splines of the crank. Then I added a stub of sch. 80 1" pipe to accept a 1" dia stub shaft with a Lovejoy on it.
This powers a generator, since we are off grid it runs a lot. All this is temporary as everything is so worn out and will soon give out. What can been done to take power off the crank once all this fails.
Some thoughts:
1. Drill completely through the coupling and crankshaft and run a bolt through it.
2. Cut end of crank off, drill and tap crank pulley and build an adaptor to bolt to it.
3. Weld coupling to crankshaft.
4. Sell tractor and get a new one
5. Move to where there is electricity before wife leaves me.
Ken Gardner

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Haha number 5 might let you live longer. What ever you do you're not going to have the tractor for a day or two. #2 Would probably be your best bet. The front crank pulley should already have two or three holes in it. Hollow out the front of your flange/shaft and you won't need to cut the crank shaft.