L2501 won't crank, no solenoid click

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
Tractor only has 30 hours on it. 2nd winter using it to plow and use it for odd jobs on my property all summer long. I used it yesterday to move some material for a shed im building. It sat over night in the same spot and the kids were playing on it. I assumed just a dead battery. I hook my truck to it at battery is reading 14.5, but still nothing. I can hear the solenoid pick up for the glow plugs, headlights work, but when I go to crank it is silent, not even an audible of the starter solenoid. Is there a safety switch somewhere that im missing? Sitting on the seat with the clutch in like Ive done every time ive operated it. I can't imagine anything serious happened from it sitting over night. Are there any other switches such as fluid levels, etc that would open the start circuit? That's the only other thing I can think of, tractor is sitting on a slight hill right now so some fluids may be reading low. I highly doubt that's the issue though. Thanks in advance!

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
If your L2501 is a HST there is a safety switch for the HST pedal , (neutral position), also a pto safety switch . I would guess it has the pto switch regardless if HST or gear. With the kids sitting on the tractor first thing I would do is check to see if the pto engagement lever is in the pto off position.

Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are several safety switches involved but I don’t know the exact number.

there are switches on the seat that act up when it gets too cold so try to sit down heavier on the seat!

Since the kids were on it put the PTO lever back to the neutral position and move the foot pedal to a neutral position.

You may need to hold the key in the crank position and move things around to see if it will crank as one lever or pedal is moved.

I suspect there is at least one switch out of location but there may be several switches out of position.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It sat over night in the same spot and the kids were playing on it.
Think about every knob or lever they played with - you'll find the answer there

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The others have covered the safeties, but also make sure the throttle lever is all the way up, can’t tell ya how many times I’ve started mine wide open after the kids been on it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
From the shop manual, there are 4 interlock switches on the HST model:
- PTO must be off
- Clutch depressed
- HST pedal neutral
- Operator on seat

In addition, there is a 5A fuse in series with the switches. I think it's top right on the fuse block but could be wrong.
Also another 5A fuse for the starter relay.

Any of those things could be the problem.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
From the shop manual, there are 4 interlock switches on the HST model:
- PTO must be off
- Clutch depressed
- HST pedal neutral
- Operator on seat

In addition, there is a 5A fuse in series with the switches. I think it's top right on the fuse block but could be wrong.
Also another 5A fuse for the starter relay.

Any of those things could be the problem.
On any modern Kubota the seat switch is the most likely place for a failure because of the constant movement of the seat during operation.